RTV Dump Box Pivot Grease

/ RTV Dump Box Pivot Grease #1  

SpudHauler

Gold Member
Tractor
RTV1100 2009
Was thinking the other day of an easy way to lube my dump box pins and door hinges on my RTV1100.

Machinists will laugh at this method and others will just giggle, but I think it still beats removing the pins or drilling and adding grease nipples. Or do as most have done, don't ever grease these because it's too much work.

Step 1: buy a grease gun adapter (under $5.00) used for pumping grease into seals or tight places.
Step 2: Drill a hole through the pivot just deep enough to touch the bolt or pin.
Step 3: Install grease adapter to grease gun, insert into newly drilled hole and pump in grease. Adapter is 1/16th in size and if drilled hole is 1/16th the fit is tight enough that I was seeing grease easing out booth ends of the pivot. Same thing happened on the door hinges, with grease oozing out of each end.

Now at each maintenance interval, I'll be sure to get both doors and box a dab of grease.

For the hydraulic pivot points, I'm planning on center drilling the pivot bolt half way and then cross drill to connect up to the cross drilled hole. Then drill and tap for proper grease nipples and apply grease.

By the way, on the doors I angled the 1/16th grease hole up on a 5 degree angle, approximately in the middle of the hinge. This will help prevent water from entering my grease holes. On the dump box pivots this is not easy to do so perhaps a bit of tape over the hole after the grease job would be sufficient. I'm not to worried as they are well protected anyway.

I doubt anyone has ever removed the pins and bolts for the dump box and greased the pivots as recommended. And with this method being so easy, it's now fun to do.

And reminder, 1/16th drill bits break very easily, so make sure you have several on hand and use a center punch to mark the spot so you don't get drill travel marks all over you paint job like I did.

Attachments

• IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    946.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    895.8 KB · Views: 345
   / RTV Dump Box Pivot Grease #2  
Good idea Spud..I like that. Is this thing going to have any resemblence of it's original self once you're done?:D

/ RTV Dump Box Pivot Grease #3  
Spud I like the idea, I'll have to find one.

/ RTV Dump Box Pivot Grease #4  
Just an idea but is the metal thick enough you could put a press in zerk grease fitting there?

/ RTV Dump Box Pivot Grease
That is a good idea too.

But the metal looks quite thin, I didn't have the box off to measure, but you should measure to make sure.

Also, I didn't want grease fittings on my door hinges and the small 1/16th hole almost disappears once you have some grease in them.