Gator XUV parking brake

/ Gator XUV parking brake #1  

2fast2

Silver Member
I have an interesting problem with the 2008 850D. The parking brake doesn't work when I use low range. It seems to work fine when I use high range which is what I typically use (2wd). I was doing some hauling through tight woods with steep slopes, where I needed 4 wd and low range, and a working parking brake to keep the gator from rolling down a hill and into the lake. I had to sit with my foot on the brakes while my buddy jammed logs behind the rear tires so I could get off and help load wood into the box.
The symptom is that I can pull the brake lever as far up as it will go (as if the lever is out of adjustment) and not feel any resistance and not have working parking brake. But once I drive around in 2 wd again, the parking brake works just like always.
I noticed in another post that the new, 2011 XUV boasts new brakes and new parking brakes. I think the brakes are fine (but they took a while to break in) but I'm wondering whether there is a design flaw with the parking brake.
Any help with how to address this would be appreciated.
Jim

/ Gator XUV parking brake #2  
I've never tetsed a xuv with the loads you are talking about on a hill so I'm not sure with out being there weather you have curable problem or not. They make a shim kit (parking brake rebuild kit) to shim up the brake mechanism as it wears. On one machine we had the roll pin that holds the shims actually back out and drop the shims all together. This let the parking brake handle go all the way to the top of the opening for the lever and barley kept the unloaded gator in park. I would inspect the parking brake caliper to make sure it is free of debri and has the required hardware.

/ Gator XUV parking brake #3  
Tht shim kit is part# AM137111. It list for $21.25

/ Gator XUV parking brake
Thanks for that info S_G.
I might just end up taking it to the local dealer because the shield that covers the parking brake at the outboard side has melted from not being held the proper distance from the brake rotor, so that should be replaced, too. Maybe whoever built the parking brake assembly at the factory was new or having a bad day. Seems like something isn't quite right.
It wasn't good when I drove it up into the back of my dump trailer (which was on a slope) and then there was no parking brake to hold it in position so I could get off and strap it down.)

/ Gator XUV parking brake #5  
the old parking brake on my 04 hpx never worked so i just lossened it up and left it alone and never used it agin but i got level ground down here no hills to role down.