RTV 900 and snow blade

/ RTV 900 and snow blade #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
AS a new owner of a camo worksite model with 72" plow with power angle what do you folks that have one do for blade storage? The blade that was on my BX was easy to store upright in the corner out of the way,looking for some of your ideas for the larger blade. Also any tips about plowing snow or cautions from owners are always welcome. Thanks in advance, Bill

/ RTV 900 and snow blade #2  
I have the same plow on my 1100...I just set it down in the back corner of the garage. Without tearing it apart, i don't know how you would stand it up. It does eat up square footage.

Plowing...First the hydraulics are very fast on these, so practice and keep people away from the plow.

Know what's under what you're plowing. obvious, but you'd be surprised how many flower beds and other things have been found this way.

Other than that, it's pretty much common sense. Don't be in any kind of rush, or you'll have problems.

I don't know what kind of surface that you're plowing, but I put a 3" piece of machine belt across the bottom of my blade to prevent it from digging gravel and scraching paved driveways.

Congrats on the new machine....We need pictures!!!

/ RTV 900 and snow blade #3  
I have the same plow on my 1100...I just set it down in the back corner of the garage. Without tearing it apart, i don't know how you would stand it up. It does eat up square footage.
QUOTE]

I do the same. I have a leaf vacuum that I back up over most of the mounting part, so it doesn't take up so much space.

/ RTV 900 and snow blade
Thanks for the info so far,everytime a get a new machine the info on here is so much help.I'll visit often. I'll try to post a picture but no promise's my BX is an 05 think i got 1 picture posted.

/ RTV 900 and snow blade #5  
A couple of other suggestions about plowing:

Always push the snow much farther to the side than what you need. If the snow you push to the side freezes before your next snow fall you won't be able to plow as wide of a path next time and your width will shrink with each additional storm - unless it all melts - so start wide.

With my RTV900 I find that once the snow gets up around 12" it becomes much harder to plow - the blade tends to ride up over the snow and you loose traction. The first pass is especially difficult as you're pushing the whole width of the blade. If it's a big storm I try to get out and do a preliminary run to lessen the load later on. Once you do the first pass at full width you can then feather the plow for each additional pass to reduce the amount of snow you're trying to push.

Edit - Oh yeah - chains on the rear are a big help.

/ RTV 900 and snow blade
Thanks for the heads up, been plowing my driveway for over 30 yr's with various plows always interesting when tring something new.Started with a garden tractor, then for yr;s several different trucks with plows,last 5 has been with my BX, and now the RTV 900 will assume the duty.Looks like a really beefy machine can't wait to try it in a couple months.Skids seem a little small on blade,other than that blade seems OK. It will take a little while to develope a touch for the hyd. it is super fast with the power angle for sure.It's a wonder some one hasn't made something to slow it down a little.

/ RTV 900 and snow blade #8  
   / RTV 900 and snow blade
Milkman flow control valve look's interesting for sure.I'll have to do a little checking but I don't think any harm could be done adding this to your plow hose's,just slow the plow.Years ago on older 3 point tractor attachments we would slow down the flow of the more modern tractor system's with a washer made to fit in a fittting or a dime with a hole in it, start the hole small work up in size to get the speed you would want. for $29 bucks might try one on one side to see if it works.Also thought about making a lever restrictor plate to go on in place of dump lock out plate when using plow this would limit how far lever could be moved. I know doesn't take much for plow to go. Anyway plow is off for now. To new to me yet, gotta play. MY biggest problem now is my Shetland sheep dog keeps sliding of seat when she goes for a ride with me.Maybe a sheepskin on the seat.