John Deere 825i Evaluation

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #1  

kmjohndeere44

Tractor
John Deere 4410, John Deere 997 w/ 72" deck, John Deere 825i
My dealer dropped off an 825i for me to try Thursday. I currently have an 850D and wasn't sure I wanted to move away from the diesel engine. I learned more than I expected!

First - i thought the changes from my Gator were going to be the bigger wheels/tires, new engine, new front suspension and new box only. They've actually practically melted and re-poured except for the rear suspension. New frame, more room inside the cab, new shifter controls.

The 825i has tremendous low end torque - accelerates much faster than the 850D (I was concerned they were going to gear it for top speed and it would not pull). The engine is very refined for noise and vibration - night and day better than the 850D Yanmar.

Steering ratio is slower (numerically higher) so steering efforts are dropped and higher speed steering is more stable, but it suffers in the woods - more steering wheel input to maneuver.

Shock damping is more controlled and roll stiffness is higher than 850D and makes it feel very stable at the higher speeds both off road and on asphalt.

My 850D has nasty gear rattle in the front differential that a trip back to the dealer could not fix. This is eliminated on the 825i - very welcome improvement!

The new cluster is very nice - back lit so easy to see at night - has an odo, trip odo, tach and speedo - fun to watch it at MPH!

The shifter control efforts are much reduced from the 850D.

The box is a great improvement with the integrated tail/brake lights. Feels substantial now instead of a bit rinkydink like the stamped steel on the 850D.

All in all I was very impressed, and ordered one this morning fully loaded (got the doors and heater for the deluxe cab this time! Will be a welcome addition in February in Michigan). Hope to get it second week of September.

Only option I didn't get was the sport exhaust - does anyone know what the real options are there and the effects on sound and power? The price went up on it from $399 to $599 overnight so I opted out to see what other options there might be

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #2  
They are nice machines. I ordered one for my dad that should be here next week. My only issue is with the "bench" seat. I was thinking of selling my Ranger and getting one for myself also, but the JD bench seat option, which I need for my family, is very narrow, lacks a center belt at this time and really looks more like a modified shallow bucket with a foam centerpiece. The middle person also would have to straddle the shifter so it is not a true three person bench in my opinion.

John M

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #3  
They are nice machines. I ordered one for my dad that should be here next week. My only issue is with the "bench" seat. I was thinking of selling my Ranger and getting one for myself also, but the JD bench seat option, which I need for my family, is very narrow, lacks a center belt at this time and really looks more like a modified shallow bucket with a foam centerpiece. The middle person also would have to straddle the shifter so it is not a true three person bench in my opinion.

John M

My wife and I took the JD XUV 825i for a test drive a few days ago. We currently have a 2008 Ranger 700 XP/LE and will be updating soon so we've been looking. I think it's coming down to either a 2011 XUV 825i or a 2011 Ranger 800 XP/LE which we also test drove as well as others. Once you are used to using the Ranger 3 person bench seat it's tough to change if you have visiting grand kids quite often.

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #4  
Yes, I really like the true bench seat and EPS power steering on my Ranger. Having had both Polaris and JD products in this line, I think the JD products are built heavier and more-durably, though no one can argue the Rangers are tough machines. My Ranger will obviously run circles around my 850D Gator, but the Gator is some better pushing heavy snow, pulling heavy trailers and generally doing heavy work things. That said, those activities comprise only 25-30% roughly of what I do with the UTV, so the extra speed and slick ride and power steering of the Ranger more than makes up for its slightly reduced chassis weight and lack of low end diesel grunt (in my model). I was pretty impressed with the 825i (enough that I ordered one) but in my mind it really needs that true bench seat, power steering (reportedly coming in 2011) and a tilt type wheel to compete with the Ranger in that segment. Two years ago, I would have denied these being important things, but having used and enjoyed them on my Ranger a while they are very important indeed.

John M

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #5  
I agree. I bought the Polaris Ranger HD with power steering when it first came out. I got mine in December of 2008. WIth the HD you get the air shocks and the power steering. I'm not sure the air shocks are that important but the power steering sure is.

Its kind of like when power steering first started appearing on garden tractor in the early-mid 80s when John Deere gave us the 318 and 420. Folks used to think we were crazy if we needed power steering on a garden tractor. Now its standard on the premium tractors and most of us wouldn't go back to one without it.

Its the same for me at least with the ranger. It is effortless to back around into tight places with the Polaris HD. Polaris redesigned their steering with the 2009s so that they actually steer pretty well without the power steering. That is, until you drive one with power steering.

I too think the new John Deere Gator is impressive. I've not driven one but saw one at the Iowa State fair last weekend. I need to drive one to see how the steering compares but I think Deere will need to at least offer it as an option.

Until they do, my Deere dealer won't get my Ranger HD until he pulls my cold dead fingers from the EPS wheel.

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #6  
I took delivery of my 825i last week. It is a wonderful machine.

Here is the only big complaint I have. There a huge amount of heat from the radiator that comes into the foot and leg area. When you are traveling thru a timber where there is no breeze, it gets oppressive.

Once you guys get your 825i, let me know if you experience the same thing. By the way, I live in Maryland where it gets hot! This problem will be welcome in the winter, but we have more summer than winter out here.

Jim

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation
I've had the 825i for a while now and thought I'd post an update. I received it in mid-September so been running it around 6 weeks now. I ordered it with the Maxxis Bighorn tires with alloy wheels, but they were on backorder, so it came with the Ancla MT tires on steel wheels. It is amaxing how much the tires and wheels effect the looks of the machine.

The fully enclosed glass cab looks great and is built very well, but I was disappointed with how much road vibration and boom there was inside the cab while driving on pavement. There were resonances of panels and pipes that would light up at certain speeds and it really detracted from the quaility experience that I'd had with the demo model without the cab. I was amazed when we installed the right tires (the Maxxis came in last week) that the booms and resonances went completely away! I understand the effects of tires on the ride, but was surprised that all of the noise was caused by the tires only - I assumed some of it was being caused by the powertrain and driveline. If you are going to drive much on pavement, I recommend staying away from the Ancla tires.

Another concern was the stopping power with the brakes. The cab adds significant weight but I still expected the vehicle to stop almost as well as the demo Gator. Initially the linings just didn't provide the deceleration, but after 50 miles or so they have burnished enough that they feel good.

Last item that took some getting used to was the heater - it is a heater only - no A/C - and if the valve is open that lets the engine coolant run to the heater box, like it or not it WILL be hot in the cab regardless if heater is turned on or not. So lesson learned was to leave the valve closed and the cab stays reasonable on warmer days.

All in all I am very pleased with the machine - very well made and improvements in every area (for example you can open the windshield and access storage now - on 850D there was a cross member at the base of the windshield that had to be unscrewed and removed before storage was accessed).

I'm looking at putting a Boss V plow on it and I'd like to change the muffler, but still choke on the $599 price for the sport muffler

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #8  
Mine should be here next week. It is amazing how much difference the radial tires make in the ride and noise.

John M

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation
Hauled gator 45 miles today to have Boss Power-V XT installed - VERY happy to learn they didn't have the right mounting skid plate - it won't be available for at least a month according to Boss> I did get to look at plow - really nice piece of machinery

/ John Deere 825i Evaluation #10  
Gator still not ready on my end. It has been received at the dealer and is being fitted with the Fox Racing shocks and upgraded exhaust. I am hoping that it will be ready later this week. I am also having a center seat belt fitted. As for the plow, I opted to get the John Deere Power Tach plow instead of the Boss Plow. In speaking with Jamie at Boss, I had heard the bracket/mounting plate was not quite ready given the different mounting pattern on the new 825I

John M