Kubota RTV 500 coast valve

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #1  

ryerman

Tractor
Kubota RTV 500
Just joined this forum. Just got my new RTV 500. Have been looking at posts of differing views on the RTV 900 as to tinker with the coast valve or leave it alone? Is the transmission in the 500 same as the 900? Will be watching for more info. Will have to see if the tranny brake is a nuisance with the 500.
No hills here in the California Delta, all flat, but I do have my Choc Lab sitting beside me when I ride.

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #2  
Just joined this forum. Just got my new RTV 500. Have been looking at posts of differing views on the RTV 900 as to tinker with the coast valve or leave it alone? Is the transmission in the 500 same as the 900? Will be watching for more info. Will have to see if the tranny brake is a nuisance with the 500.
No hills here in the California Delta, all flat, but I do have my Choc Lab sitting beside me when I ride.

I don't believe there is a coast valve for the 500.

When I first bought my 500 the abrupt engine braking was hard to get used to. Once you get in the habit of letting up slowly on the gas, you'll probably learn to like it. In fact, you'll rarely use the brakes at all.

My 1100 has this as well. I can go down some serious hills doing nothing other than feathering the gas pedal.

Good luck, you bought a nice machine.

TBN rule: Pictures, Pictures and more pictures...:D

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #3  
It took me about a week til I was really use to letting slowly off the go pedal on my RTV 500 but like Timswi mentioned it's nice after you get used to it, no need to keep braking the engine will do it for you.:thumbsup:

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve
Thanks for the info. Plan on having the Kubota for a long while. I still have my 1986 Yahama Big Bear 350, but I think I"ll be retiring it now.

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #5  
Thanks for the info. Plan on having the Kubota for a long while. I still have my 1986 Yahama Big Bear 350, but I think I"ll be retiring it now.

I had a mid 90's Big Bear...nice, dependable quad.

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #6  
Yeah, no coast valve is needed with the RTV500 VHT Plus transmission. It's much better about the so-called abrupt stopping versus the VHT (non-Plus) transmissions found in older RTV900s and 1100s. BTW, the coast valve is not a good thing for the older VHT transmissions and as mentioned, you get use to the "abruptness" any ways.

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve
No need for aftermarket coast valve with this RTV 500. Not abrubt at all. My friend has a 900 and you better wear your sealtbelt ALL the time. A shoulder belt wouldn't be a bad idea with those 900"s. Still gotta be careful with a dog in the back with mine, but you just gotta think ahead a bit.

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #8  
Yeah, no coast valve is needed with the RTV500 VHT Plus transmission. It's much better about the so-called abrupt stopping versus the VHT (non-Plus) transmissions found in older RTV900s and 1100s. BTW, the coast valve is not a good thing for the older VHT transmissions and as mentioned, you get use to the "abruptness" any ways.

My issue was that someone else was going to have to get used to the, IMHO, poor engineering of the transmission if I didn't get a coast valve. In 1 year my RTV1100 had 11.2 hours on it. NOBODY wanted to drive it. I use it to water newly planted trees and you'd do well to end up with a half a bucket the way it came from the factory. With the coast valve nobody ever spills a drop and everyone in the family drives the machine.

If a coast valve is going to ruin the transmission, it's time for me to say "bye-bye" to owning any RTV products. Like 90% of the people who drive one, I have a strong dislike for the inexcusable sudden stop. To me, it's pretty well a safety issue. If someone has to worry about being ejected out the front of one or plastered into the windshield, there is a problem.

I had to learn "tricks" to driving all sorts of junk vehicles I had when growing up. That was because they all had problems that required a learning curve to drive them. I view the RTV series as I do those junk vehicles; they have a problem that needs to be addressed rather than telling potential owners that they need to learn the "trick" to driving that particular vehicle.

Let me know if there is any truth to a coast valve hurting the transmissions. I honestly will sell mine right away and wait for a competitor to come out with a full factory cab and A/C. The jerky stop literally is a deal killer for thousands of potential buyers, you know.

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #9  
Dargo,

If you sell it I want the turbo!!! :laughing:

/ Kubota RTV 500 coast valve #10  
Dargo,
There is no documented proof (that I know of) that states the coast valve causes damage to the transmission. I think the worst case scenario with it is premature wear due to that hydraulic circuit being bypassed, which of coarse isn't per design.

The abrupt stopping (dynamic braking) is odd, but I learned to work with it and like it. I get what you are saying about others not liking it. Hence why the VHT Plus transmission was introduced, which all the RTV models have now. The coast valve is a potential safety issue as well (IMO), especially if you are use to the dynamic braking. The coast valve bypasses virtually all dynamic braking, which was an eye opener when I first used it. :eek:

Trade your ride in for a new RTV1100 with the VHT Plus transmission. ;)