Polaris Midsize ranger 400

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400 #1  

SDS

Looking to buy the Polaris Ranger 400 is there anyone that owns one that could give an opinion on the unit. I currently have the Kubota rtv 500. Looking for a utv that I can also do some trail riding. Not sure if I want to go from EFI back to a carb. unit.
Thanks Scott

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400 #2  
EFI rocks! I don't think I will ever buy another ATV/UTV without it. Winter time starting is where they really shine. Still use my 2000 yamaha Kodiak Atv with carb. It actually does well except if really cold and I have not run it for a few weeks.

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400 #3  
Looking to buy the Polaris Ranger 400 is there anyone that owns one that could give an opinion on the unit. I currently have the Kubota rtv 500. Looking for a utv that I can also do some trail riding. Not sure if I want to go from EFI back to a carb. unit.
Thanks Scott

My 500 went everywhere the quads would go (My 1100 not so much)...Are you takling blasting through trails instead of just riding them? Not sarcastic, just curious.

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400
My biggest issue with the rtv 500 is the rough ride. I drove the polaris 400 and the suspension was great. Hitting bumps even at 10 -15 mph on the rtv are hard on the body. The suspension is to stiff.

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400 #5  
My biggest issue with the rtv 500 is the rough ride. I drove the polaris 400 and the suspension was great. Hitting bumps even at 10 -15 mph on the rtv are hard on the body. The suspension is to stiff.

I can't argue with that. My 1100 rides like a Cadillac...The 500 did beat me up pretty good.

The Rangers have very nice suspensions, no question about that.

I was going to look at the polaris 400, but bit the bullet and bought the 1100 before I had a chance. That polaris is appealing.

The Kubota is a better worker, but for general, overall play and general stuff, the Polaris is a good choice.

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400
Not to get off the original subject, did you ever plow with the rtv 500. If I keep it I would like to put a plow on it. Just curious how it plowed snow. Did it have enough power.
Thanks Scott

/ Polaris Midsize ranger 400 #8  
Not to get off the original subject, did you ever plow with the rtv 500. If I keep it I would like to put a plow on it. Just curious how it plowed snow. Did it have enough power.
Thanks Scott

We got 3 feet of snow last winter in one storm and the 500 plowed better than I expected, plenty of power...I cleard the way and the quads followed and did the light duty stuff. No complaint's at all..Only bought the RTV1100 for the HVAC and cab. if that wasn't available, I'd still have the 500.

Some of the pictures were the next day after it warmed up...But you get the idea.

Attachments

• feb2010 005.jpg
    feb2010 005.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 654
  • feb2010 014.jpg
    feb2010 014.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 286
  • feb2010 016.jpg
    feb2010 016.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 258
   / Polaris Midsize ranger 400 #10  

Not that it will ride like a Cadillac after but have you tried adjusting your rear strut assembly? They have a coil over type set up with 5 settings on suspension stiffness, before I got rid of it I'd try lightening the setting up.:thumbsup:

I haven't plowed with my RTV 500 yet but I put an Eagle Country style plow on mine over the summer, it looks to be a nicely built unit. Installation was quick and easy, now that the plow frame is on my RTV all I need to do is unhook 2 pins and the winch hook to remove the plow. :D (The plow came with bolts but I went to the local tractor shop and got to pins with hitch clips on them to make it quick disconnect)