any golf cart owners?

/ any golf cart owners? #22  
I have a 2004 electric Club Car that I bought last spring for $1000 from a local golf course that was buying new ones. I took it to the local Clb Car dealer and had it looked over, needed brakes and a few minor things fixed. I did buy the $100 code for the speed upgrade to 23 mph. Altogether I have spent around $350 since I bought it. All of the batteries were almost new and didn't need replacing.

My son-in-law has a 1997 Yamaha gas cart and it runs great but he has also done some major replacing of parts, belt, starter, rebuit the carb 3 times, etc. This new "green" gas will eat up your parts if you don't use it regularly. I like my electric cart as it is very quiet and runs all day on a charge.

/ any golf cart owners? #23  
I have a 2004 electric Club Car that I bought last spring for $1000 from a local golf course that was buying new ones. I took it to the local Clb Car dealer and had it looked over, needed brakes and a few minor things fixed. I did buy the $100 code for the speed upgrade to 23 mph. Altogether I have spent around $350 since I bought it. All of the batteries were almost new and didn't need replacing.

My son-in-law has a 1997 Yamaha gas cart and it runs great but he has also done some major replacing of parts, belt, starter, rebuit the carb 3 times, etc. This new "green" gas will eat up your parts if you don't use it regularly. I like my electric cart as it is very quiet and runs all day on a charge.

How many volts is your golf cart? Do you believe it would go 10 miles on a charge, or more? Finally how long to recharge?

/ any golf cart owners? #24  
I have only the 36 volt model and dont know if the 48 volt last longer or just have more power and speed but I am sure it will run more than 10 miles. We used them years ago on a construction job and ran them all day on a charge and never had a problem and I am sure they went more than 10 miles, likely as much as 20. The grandkids used mine all the time when we were in Crosby Texas in a golf cart neighborhood where nearly everyone had one. They ran it all over the place day and night with the lights on and we would recharge it about every 2-3 days. Just plugged it in overnight, but it will charge up in a a couple hours from 1-2 bars on the % of charge meter to full bars in about 2 hours. I dont know if the batteries are fully charged at that time or not but it will go again as fast as ever when it shows full on the meter.

/ any golf cart owners? #25  
The good thing with electric carts is you can carry your charger neatly in the little golf bag compartment in back and if you are running a little low, plug it in at your neighbors (free electricity :thumbsup::laughing:) while you have coffee and chat then away you can go again. It is quiet and cheap and no carbs to rebuild because of the crappy gas. Batteries can be bought at a discount for about $60 a piece compared to over a $100 at a golf cart supply and last 4-5 years if properly service with only distilled water. So would you use $360 worth of fuel in 4-5 years. Maybe or maybe not, but if you dont use that gas cart often enought to keep the carbs de-gunked you can spend at least half that amount on one carb cleaning

/ any golf cart owners? #26  
The good thing with electric carts is you can carry your charger neatly in the little golf bag compartment in back and if you are running a little low, plug it in at your neighbors (free electricity :thumbsup::laughing:) while you have coffee and chat then away you can go again. It is quiet and cheap and no carbs to rebuild because of the crappy gas. Batteries can be bought at a discount for about $60 a piece compared to over a $100 at a golf cart supply and last 4-5 years if properly service with only distilled water. So would you use $360 worth of fuel in 4-5 years. Maybe or maybe not, but if you dont use that gas cart often enought to keep the carbs de-gunked you can spend at least half that amount on one carb cleaning

Do they use gel cell batteries? A lot of the driving that I do is local and that would get the gas monkey off of my back, but wait a minute they are raising the electric rates quite a bit lately, oh dang it another monkey we can't win the game is fixed. Just joking about the last part but there is a lot of truth to it. I have thought about getting one for a long time since I live in a rural area on a one lane road. The road is hard topped and mostly is wide enough for a two lane but it is narrow. The main thing that has held me back is that there is a lot of people that drive that road that would rather die and go to H_ll than yield right of way and I bet most of them have no drivers license no insurance and been found guilty of driving under the influence 49th offence and have absolutely no road manners.

/ any golf cart owners? #27  
...The good thing with electric carts is you can carry your charger neatly in the little golf bag compartment in back and if you are running a little low, plug it in at your neighbors (free electricity ) while you have coffee and chat then away you can go again...

Many electric carts have room under the seat for a charger...

FWIW...
When I bought new batteries I was advised to not short cycle the charging system...was told to let the charger completely charge the batteries before disconnecting...also was told to unplug the charger to stop a charging cycle (if need be) rather than just unplugging the charger from the cart...

/ any golf cart owners? #28  
Last month we picked up a 2007 EZGO PDS 36v cart with OCT 2006 batteries. We can go 20 miles non stop (more demanding than stop/go like golfing) and just be discharged down to the battery safe 50% discharged level. We have another 5 miles that it can be pushed but should not be.

Gas carts do sell for more and are more complex machines but they can run mile after mile which is a plus.

Electric carts either need to be in use or on the charger. Gas carts can be treated more like a tractor. Both are great to have around the place especially when the hips and knees start to go.

EZGO just happens to be the hot brand. Batteries will last based on care. 5-10 years seem to be the range I read about but since you are going gas that is a non issue.

It sounds like your $3500 deal for a brand new cart is a good deal. After debugging it should be fine for your mother for years to come. You want her to be able to keep up with her friends. :B

/ any golf cart owners? #29  
Someone asked why others like one brand over another..... I have a '92 gas Club Car. I bought it used in '98 for $1,600 from a golf course. It has a 5" lift with 22" tires. The governor has been eliminated and the throttle linkage has been modified. I have used a GPS to measure its top speed at 36 mph. I have since pulled the throttle back a little to around 32 mph so I don't blow up the motor. I use it as a hunting/yard/farm cart. My boys, now 14 and 10, race it and the go cart around the yard. To say it has had a hard life and has seen a fair amount of abuse far beyond its intended use is an understatement. I keep waiting for the engine to grenade as I have plans for that upgrade too, but it keeps on going - with regular maintenance of course.

Why I like the Club Car? I looked at the EZ-GO, Yamaha and Club Cars. I liked the aluminum frames of the Club Car. Also, the ride quality seemed a little better and the turning radius was shorter.

/ any golf cart owners? #30  
/Pine; Regarding unplugging the charger: I was told just the opposite. They told me that you can damage the charger if you unplug the 110V while hooked to the cart. This from the dealer AND a guy that said he had to buy a new charger because he did just that. Apparently it wont take the backcharge voltage or doesnt have a diode to prevent backflow. I put mine on a UPS system just so it would not loose current while charging if the electricity went out. I did this after an electrical storm came thru and we lost power or got a surge that burned up my charger. I had several other battery powered drills on the same surge protector circuit and it didnt bother them and didnt blow the surge protector but it cost me $400 for a used charger to replace the burned up one. I went straight to Sams and got the biggest UPS system they had and put it between the 110v socket and my charger. I haven had any other problems since.