any golf cart owners?

/ any golf cart owners? #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
thinking about buying my mother a gas powered golf cart for christmas this year and wanted some info and suggestions from anyone in the know. there's a dealer near me that carries Club Car golf carts(both gas and electric powered) so i think i'm going to be looking at those....unless E-Z-Go or another brand is leaps and bounds better? i know i want a gas powered cart and the price i was quoted for some 2008's he has being delivered is $3,499 for gas. he said these are brand new carts just left over models that haven't sold yet. the options i'm wanting on it are a windshield, mirror, little more aggressive tires(no lift kit though, want her to be able to get in and out ok), rear seats that can fold down into a "bed", lights. any other options worth adding on besides these?

I've also considered buying her a Kubota RTV 500 but i don't know if she'd use it that much. the price is a good bit higher and this purchase is more for pleasure then work so that kind of disqualifies the Kubota RTV 500 right?

i'm buying her the cart mostly for riding around town and such. her friends have them and i think she would enjoy having her own. i'll be buying the "on road use" decal from the DMV also. any and all help/suggestions/critiques are welcome. i'm kind of out of my norm with this purchase and figured i would get all the info i could before buying.

/ any golf cart owners? #2  
there are several threads on the virtues of golf carts...try searching...

just curious why you want a gas cart ?..electric carts have much more initial torque than gas carts...

/ any golf cart owners?
there are several threads on the virtues of golf carts...try searching...

just curious why you want a gas cart ?..electric carts have much more initial torque than gas carts...

thanks for the reply. i did look through some threads on here but didn't find all the answers i was looking for specifically. i prefer a gas powered cart for her for several reasons. 1)she lives out in the country and the range is better with a gas powered cart then an electric one. 2) i won't have to replace a bunch of expensive batteries. 3)the cart won't be used for hunting so quietness is not a factor, and also it won't be used for any serious work so tourqe isn't a factor either. 4) i can work on a gas engine but couldn't mess with an electric one to save my life. 5)there's really no where for her to charge a cart at her house. also she could always carry a gallon of gas with her if she ran out. if your batteries die on an electric cart you're pretty much stuck.

/ any golf cart owners? #4  
Your price is fair. We use gas carts at work. Typically three year old used carts, windshield and bed, no light for $3,000. We upgrad and make that deal every couple years.

Either gas or electric are both nice. The only time you'll really wish you had electric is when it comes time to change oil or do any other regular scheduled maintenance.

/ any golf cart owners? #5  
You might try Craigslist for a few good carts. My 10 yr old Yamaha G16 ($1000) has replaced my 4 wheeler as the go-fer vehicle on the ranch. I put a trailer hitch on it and even pull my snowmobile trailer, wood chipper and a dump cart up and down the hills for fencing, tree trimming, mail fetching, refreshment serving and dog running.

I suggest you get 2 of them, (one for yourself) or else Mom's gonna be mad.

Around here a lot of golf courses are selling their 3 year old fleets for under $1700 for gassers. The price of batteries kept me from getting an electric one originally (although I just bought an electric EZ-Go for $250 that needs $1000 worth of batteries). As I said, Mom wanted one to get to me when I'm out in the Way-Back.

Latest trick is I put a spare Miltronics Driveway alarm receiver on the cart (12 v power). It has the optional relay that can switch on a revolving light and a bell/buzzer for 5 seconds. Sooo, at night or day, wherever the cart is parked, I get a visual and audible alert that someone or something is at the front gate.

That could be the UPS guy, mail lady :)licking: , hay customers, meter readers neighbors or trouble makers. The cart serves as a quick hop on greeter for all comers. (Rifle rack on the back, don't take no smack, you'll be hearing the crack and seeing black, Mack).

Burma Shave.

/ any golf cart owners? #6  
Here is my early 1970s Cushman GC-400 that is powered by original Kohler 8 hp gas engine. Just want to point out that if they are cared for they will last a great while. We've used it for the last seven years to work and spray around the place, visit neighbors, etc. but it is now pretty much retired and up for sale in this classified section because we have purchased a mountain property that is far too agressive for the Golfster. Got a Kawasaki diesel Mule to take up the slack. Not sure if I would buy a cart out of a rental fleet but there are always exceptions. Ask her friends who have them about their likes and dislikes. Your mom will have a blast with her own cart.

Attachments

• GC400.1.JPG
    GC400.1.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 194
  • GC400.3.JPG
    GC400.3.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 230
   / any golf cart owners? #7  
Get a 2002 or newer Club Car. I've had a bunch and these seem to be the best all-round for the money.

/ any golf cart owners? #8  
Get a 2002 or newer Club Car. I've had a bunch and these seem to be the best all-round for the money.

if they are so good why have you had "a bunch" of them ?...also, what others have you had that makes you think that club cars are better than other popular brands?

I've had an EZ-GO for the last 8 years without a single bit of trouble...one new set of batteries in that time...

/ any golf cart owners? #9  
I just got rid of an older redune yamaha gas cart, worked great. I did put a 6" lift in it and turned up the gov a bit. I really didn't want to let it go but that's life.

/ any golf cart owners? #10  
Try to find the distributors who services golf courses in your area. Get a used one coming off lease and save some money to do any modifications you may want (lift, off road tires etc.). Electric would be easier maintanence for your mother.