Help with rear brake line

/ Help with rear brake line #1  

dieselkelly

Tractor
arctic cat diesel 700 atv
Hi -
I hope someone can help. I live out in the country and can't (easily) get to an ATV mechanic. My rear brake line came out of the "tube/ receiver" it goes in to right before the actual brake. I shoved it back in firmly but gently. I havent re-filled the brake fluid because I figure I need to replace the "collar/ferrule" that held it in. Unfortunately this means I can't use the front brake either. I've looked in my manual and dont see this part listed.

Any clever ideas how I can hold the line back in place. There's no damage to either the brakeline or tube/receiver, but the ferrule/collar is gone.
Thanks (sorry I dont know the correct terms for these parts)

/ Help with rear brake line #2  
Hi -
I hope someone can help. I live out in the country and can't (easily) get to an ATV mechanic. My rear brake line came out of the "tube/ receiver" it goes in to right before the actual brake. I shoved it back in firmly but gently. I havent re-filled the brake fluid because I figure I need to replace the "collar/ferrule" that held it in. Unfortunately this means I can't use the front brake either. I've looked in my manual and dont see this part listed.

Any clever ideas how I can hold the line back in place. There's no damage to either the brakeline or tube/receiver, but the ferrule/collar is gone.
Thanks (sorry I dont know the correct terms for these parts)

Can you get us a picture?

/ Help with rear brake line
I haven't had an opportunity to take a photo of the broken line. From the plans I've seen of the brake assembly, (on the internet ATV parts sites) I think that the steel cable actually came loose from its factory attached end. The end is a tube that ends in a loop, into which I think the banjo bolt goes? We're going to take the barke line off and have a good look. I will send a photo of the detacted brake line if I can't figure it out.:thumbsup:

/ Help with rear brake line
Here is pitcure of rear brake line. As you can see the ,line has come apart from the end. Can I re-attach or order a new line (117$)?

IMG_0516 by kmully, on Flickr

/ Help with rear brake line #6  
Here is pitcure of rear brake line. As you can see the ,line has come apart from the end. Can I re-attach or order a new line (117$)?

IMG_0516 by kmully, on Flickr

Maybe check with someone who builds hydro lines..Possible it can be re-crimped. Never did braided though.

/ Help with rear brake line #7  
I don't think I'd pay $117 for a new one, but if you have the time, I'd suggest googling technafit and calling Stewart (the owner) to see if you could send him the complete line (in pieces) to see if he could make you a replacement with the exact same fittings. I've purchased several sets of stainless lines for my cars from him. He used to be with Goodridge, and I believe he knows how to make brake lines. I pay less than that for sets of 4 lines, so I suspect you can save some money if you can afford the down time. Call and ask to speak directly with him.
Warning, it might take a while, and he sometimes "forgets" or so it seems. Maybe his world doesn't revolve around me? :thumbsup:

/ Help with rear brake line #8  
No you cannot re-attach that line. Go to a hot-rod shop or your local atv shop and have them look up Russell brake hoses. They come in all sorts of lengths and you buy the end that screws on each end so you can match almost anything. So yours would be a 3 piece system when done, one length of cable and two ends, a 90 and 35 degree. Or that is what it looks like from here. Be sure to take the whole hose with you.

And yes they are expensive, but shouldn't be $117.