Warn winch question

/ Warn winch question #1  

zene55

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
I have a 3000lb warn winch that works great. One issue is it has a sleeve that is about 3 feet long. It is some kind of woven cloth material. It is to protect the line. My issue is that it keeps getting pulled into the cable windings and hanging things up. Do you think it is okay to remove the sleeve?

/ Warn winch question #2  
I would say yes, my Warn 2500 lb winch doesn't have any shield on it from the factory so I think you'd be fine taking it off.

/ Warn winch question #3  
I have a 3000lb warn winch that works great. One issue is it has a sleeve that is about 3 feet long. It is some kind of woven cloth material. It is to protect the line. My issue is that it keeps getting pulled into the cable windings and hanging things up. Do you think it is okay to remove the sleeve?
Is the line that you are refering to steel cable or synthetic rope?
The sleeve that you are talking about is not just for the bitter end protection of the "line" but also to be placed anywhere along the distance of pulled out line to act as a chafe guard, such as a rock or tree trunk that disrupts a perfect straight line pull. Definately mandatory for synthetic rope.
A way around not having it would be a snatch block and extra rope to rig it. The whole idea is to totally eliminate all chafing. I would keep it and try to figure out a way to stow it on the spool with less difficulty, getting rid of it is one less weapon in your arsenal.;)
I see that you have a 4010 Trans diesel-I have a 3010 Trans diesel with a Warn RT40 winch, steel cable and no sleeve. I'm betting you have synthetic rope.

/ Warn winch question
Yes it has a synthetic rope. I am going to try and keep it from getting caught in the roll.

/ Warn winch question
We have LOTS of rocks. My mule has amazed me on some of the big ones it has drug from one spot to another.

/ Warn winch question #7  
when i bought my winch years ago it came with a sleeve like your talking about it is suppose to be used when wraping the line around a tree to protect the tree from damage it is also for protecting the cable when hooked around an object. you should be able to slide it off the cable and just put it back on when needed .

/ Warn winch question #8  
If you have a brush guard, just hook the guard and wind 10 ft or so of cable onto it then tighten the winch a hair. That way you have 10 ft already spooled out. You see the land rover guys doing this all the time.