Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
Second brand new superwinch failed. The second one did the exact same thing as the first one did. Second winch has one use under its belt, the first one didn't have any. Black rubber seal being ground up and pushed out from the gear side.

This is two winches since Christmas. Both came from Amazon.

newwinch2.jpg

newwinch.jpg

Last edited:
   / Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #2  
If u need a good winch let me know I've used mine for the past 2 years and have been verry pleased with it. I even started selling them.

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS
If u need a good winch let me know I've used mine for the past 2 years and have been verry pleased with it. I even started selling them.

What kind, and what are the specs?

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #4  
Its an eagle and 2500lbs that's the one I have on my 4wheeler. They make bigger ones also

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #5  
Seriously? WTF...you've had some bad luck with those things. How was it being used when it did that?

Was it you that said you could pull your rtv across the driveway with the e-brake on? Did you use a snatch block for easing the load? Did the first one do that when you first spooled the rope?

Maybe you should bite the bullet and order a Warn. They are a lot of money but they are one of the best. My dad, friend and uncle had problems with their A2000 warn winches years ago but I think they are better now.

Seriously? WTF...you've had some bad luck with those things. How was it being used when it did that?

Was it you that said you could pull your rtv across the driveway with the e-brake on? Did you use a snatch block for easing the load? Did the first one do that when you first spooled the rope?

Maybe you should bite the bullet and order a Warn. They are a lot of money but they are one of the best. My dad, friend and uncle had problems with their A2000 warn winches years ago but I think they are better now.

You should look closely at yours. Yes it was me that pulled with the E-brake on. It was in the woods on top of leaves. It slid across the leaves no problem. I did not use a snatch block. The winch is supposed to be rated at 4500lbs, the RTV is 1500, I shouldn't have to use a snatch block for just pulling the machine under its own weight. This particular time, the RTV bottomed out on a log so I winched it 3 feet to get unstuck. Upon finishing, I noticed this issue again. If you count winding the rope on, this second winch has 2 uses, unacceptable. Yes, I will be getting something better. I hope you have better luck with yours.

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #7  
What is that and how does it harm the winch?

What is that and how does it harm the winch?

You know, I've been thinking that myself. It is an inner seal, I'm guessing to keep dirt/debris and weather out of the gearbox. Maybe it won't harm the winch per se, but it can't be right if its getting chewed up and spit out.

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #9  
I went through a lot of research before I got a winch for my RTV900. I didn't feel I could justify the cost of a Warn or Ramsey for the number of times I would use it. Based on several comments from off road forums, I ended up with a "Viper" brand winch. I opted for the amsteel cable over the steel cable... I've used it more than a few times to get myself unstuck, and I am very happy with it. I would recommend Viper based on my experience.

This is the one I got:
Amazon.com: Viper Max 4500 lb Winch with Amsteel Blue Synthetic cable - Waterproof: Automotive

/ Now I'm convinced, Superwinches are POS #10  
You should look closely at yours. Yes it was me that pulled with the E-brake on. It was in the woods on top of leaves. It slid across the leaves no problem. I did not use a snatch block. The winch is supposed to be rated at 4500lbs, the RTV is 1500, I shouldn't have to use a snatch block for just pulling the machine under its own weight. This particular time, the RTV bottomed out on a log so I winched it 3 feet to get unstuck. Upon finishing, I noticed this issue again. If you count winding the rope on, this second winch has 2 uses, unacceptable. Yes, I will be getting something better. I hope you have better luck with yours.

You deal bums me out, I hope I don't run into that. I just went out to look at mine and that black part feels like plastic to me. What I can't figure out is why it would get chewed up. What would be rubbing it like that other than the rope? I don't want to find out on mine so it's why I ask.

I only asked about the e-brake because when I researched winching in general I saw that the rating changes when on inclines vs. flat pull and mostly they were spec'd for rolling wieght.

Good luck finding a new one.