RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials

/ RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials #1  

beretta96man

Silver Member
Tractor
RTV 500 with camoplast 4s utv tracks, Bobcat 773 with filled tires and steel tracks
Ok, I finally got the mount kit last night around 6pm so naturally I stayed out in the garage till 11:30 installing them:). Of course I'm sick as a dog right when I finally get these on but hopefully this weekend I'll feel better and get it out for the action pics (going to drag our spear house out on the lake).

Install notes:
-Easy to do. All bolt on parts, no drilling for mounting hardware
-One required modification is to cut each side of the bumper/grill guard off by 2-3 inches:( for track clearance
-Hub adapter plates use the factory wheel lugs. The front plates need either 1 washer spacer in between it and the hub like I did or you need to cut down/ get shorter studs. When I tightened those they pushed on the brake disk causing them to distort so that is a must to alter, nothing included in the kit to fix. Instructions just say to "check clearance"
-I always coat all threads/hub surfaces with anti-seize lube, makes for easy removal from corrosion.

I just have them mounted but still need to hook up the stabilizers and adjust them. The initial set up calls for quite a bit of adjustment the first time on so I decided to wait till tonight to finish the set up when I wasn't so tired. I'll post any issues on that later.

One cool thing is that I easily picked up 5 inches or so of lift. Way more clearance under the buggy now. That was one thing that I didn't like about the kubota but now it's like a jacked up mud truck:thumbsup:

Here are some teaser pics, of course lots more to follow:thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo 2(5).jpg
    photo 2(5).jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • photo 3(4).jpg
    photo 3(4).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 750
  • photo 4(3).jpg
    photo 4(3).jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,058
   / RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials #2  
Wow..That's the first time I've seen that on a 500...more Pics needed.

Let us know what it runs like with those on there....

That looks like a beast...Very cool!!!

/ RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials
DONE!
I just took her out and WOW, it went everywhere I pointed it. I started at the base of my hill and went right up. Went across the swamp and up a bank that my brother buried his snowmobile in! Stopped at the base of a ditch and crawled up to the driveway. This set up is so cool.:cool2:

It's as slow as I figured but it seems unstoppable which is what I wanted. Too dark for pics but here are more install pics. They are of the cutting modification on the front bumper.

First is without the cut, second is with and last is the clearance with the track turned after the cut. Oh, and I got my winch cable saver in the mail today and put that on too, it's in the pic.

Attachments

• photo 4(5).jpg
    photo 4(5).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 669
  • photo 3(6).jpg
    photo 3(6).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 615
  • photo 4(4).jpg
    photo 4(4).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 654
Bit the bullet and bought the storage box. I saved on many things so figured I would try it over making something. Nobody that I've seen has posted pics of it so I figured I would. Nice to have somewhere for tools, straps ect. that fits the space nicely. It even has it's own lid support in the back. Only disappointment was the way kubota used the plastic as the lid hinge. I know someday I'll be mad as I try screwing a hinge to it when it fails.

Attachments

• photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 531
  • photo 3(5).jpg
    photo 3(5).jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 743
   / RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials #5  
Those tracks look awesome. What do you think they caused you to lose in speed? Do you know about how fast you can go top speed in high range now?

Before I wanted tracks for mine....now I want them even more.:laughing: Let us know how they work out over the long term. I can't imagine the improvement gaining all that additional ground clearance and low end grunt gains you on getting over and through anything.:thumbsup: I think I might have to start working a few more hours now:D

/ RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials #6  
Sweet looking buggy! Where did you snag the front storage bin?

/ RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials #7  
Sweet looking buggy! Where did you snag the front storage bin?

Yep, got that from my kubota dealer. He hit me around $150 which I said no way to when I ordered it in November but since nobody makes aftermarket ones I reconsidered as I REALLY needed some dry storage on this thing. I also picked up a camo soft top at Gander on close out for $17. It's meant for a prowler but hey, it will do until I decide what to do with the cab.

Those tracks look awesome. What do you think they caused you to lose in speed? Do you know about how fast you can go top speed in high range now?

Before I wanted tracks for mine....now I want them even more.:laughing: Let us know how they work out over the long term. I can't imagine the improvement gaining all that additional ground clearance and low end grunt gains you on getting over and through anything.:thumbsup: I think I might have to start working a few more hours now:D

All tracks loose speed by about 40% depending on their gear ratio. Think of the track as a set of gears. Inside the unit the hub spins a gear (faster) that turns a larger diameter track (slower) around it rather than that track being central inside and turning the whole thing at once like a super large tire would, which if you put larger tires on and could still spin the hubs the same as before you would actually gain speed.

I knew that when researching these. What I didn't know is if anyone had put a set on theirs. I haven't got but 7 hrs on my machine yet (only beacuse I need to work A LOT more since buying it:( )so I'm going easy during break in and won't know the limits for a while but last night on the driveway it was going OK for speed I thought given the low speed of the 500 in general. What shocked me was that it was like driving a mini tank. I threw things at it that would have and have buried my old 600lbs artic cat 600 triple sled. It takes some mind set changes as I'm used to taking off like a rocket on my old sled and this is just basically a way to go anywhere without having to walk and have a heart attack dragging a sled of wood or hunting/fishing stuff behind you in knee deep snow.

I can't wait to take it out in our woods and give her a run. I even ran it backwards and it just kept going. The flotation was amazing. Now, powder is my next concern. How will it do in a fresh mega dump of snow? Only time will tell. For now, I can't wait to drive it again after work, might just double or triple the hours this weekend:D

/ RTV500 with Camoplast 4S UTV tracks Install and Trials #10  
It looks great!... I know you will have a ton of fun with that setup. What is the coating on your brush guard? It looks like some kind of bedliner? Is it something you did, and if so what was the product?