50 hour service cost RTV 900

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #1  

tallur4me

Tractor
DK45C
I took my RTV 900 to the Kubota dealer in West Plains, Missouri for a 50 hour service. I returned to pay the bill and was in sticker shock. $238.00 with 2 hours of shop labor rate. They changed 3 filters, changed the oil. The windshield was as dirty as it was when I took it in. They did not offer to help me load the machine even though I was having to use a cane to walk. I don't know if that is high or not but compared to what a shop in my home town of Alton, Missouri charged me to put a new clutch, belt, and change the oil, air filter and oil filter at only 1.25 hrs of shop labor I think I either got a deal on the JD TX or got ripped on the Kubota 900 service job. What do you think?
J D Strain

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #2  
I took my RTV 900 to the Kubota dealer in West Plains, Missouri for a 50 hour service. I returned to pay the bill and was in sticker shock. $238.00 with 2 hours of shop labor rate. They changed 3 filters, changed the oil. The windshield was as dirty as it was when I took it in. They did not offer to help me load the machine even though I was having to use a cane to walk. I don't know if that is high or not but compared to what a shop in my home town of Alton, Missouri charged me to put a new clutch, belt, and change the oil, air filter and oil filter at only 1.25 hrs of shop labor I think I either got a deal on the JD TX or got ripped on the Kubota 900 service job. What do you think?
J D Strain
I think you got ripped. I haven't changed my RTV1140 yet but I've changed all my Kubota Tractors when they reached the 50 hours. First time may take an hour and a half but second time should take 30 to 45 minutes by a child.

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #3  
On my 26HP tractor I have and engine oil filter, hydrostatic filter, hydraulic filter, fuel filter, and air filter. The filters alone cost over $90 at the dealer. I'm just glad I can do my own service. Even including fluids I spent about $ 150 total but that's also a diesel tractor. If I had taken mine to the dealer for its 50HR service I'm sure it would have cost me about $300 or more with labor and all the fluids.
That price would seem high for just replacing an air, fuel, and oil filter including oil. But remember they also did a 50 hour service which probably includes checking all bolts and nuts, shocks, tire pressures, torque specs, and whatever else is on the 50 hr. checklist. They should have at least washed it before giving it back.

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #4  
I just found my receipt for the three filters, Kubota engine oil, and 1 gallon of hydraulic oil (for top off) for the 50 hour service on my RTV 900. My tab was $81.26 without sales tax.

I'm guessing it took me two hours or more for the service. But I'm old and slow, I was consulting the owner's manual, and I took at least one break due to the heat. (Come to think of it, I may have been stalling for fear that the Missus had some chore in mind for me.:))

Per John's comment, I don't think a child could do it in 30-45 minutes, but a service tech could.

Steve

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #5  
I just found my receipt for the three filters, Kubota engine oil, and 1 gallon of hydraulic oil (for top off) for the 50 hour service on my RTV 900. My tab was $81.26 without sales tax.

I'm guessing it took me two hours or more for the service. But I'm old and slow, I was consulting the owner's manual, and I took at least one break due to the heat. (Come to think of it, I may have been stalling for fear that the Missus had some chore in mind for me.:))

Per John's comment, I don't think a child could do it in 30-45 minutes, but a service tech could.

Steve

Did my own 50 hour on m BX and intend to do my B2320 as well.
Similar to the "a trained monkey could do it", but that's another thread. Not!!

Dealer threw in all the 50 hour filters as part of the purchase negotiation.
I do it because I know it will be done right. I enjoy it. It's MY tractor and that settles it.

That one can do it oneself and only spend 25% of dealer's charge? Plain old fashioned common sense.

Last edited:
   / 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #6  
I think the OP said he was having to use a cane. He may have been unable to do the work himself.

Steve

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #7  
If it is like the RTV1100, change the oil means 4 liters for the engine, 11 liters for the HST, and 17 liters for the hydraulics.
That's a lot of oil. And HST/Hydraulic oil is expensive.
OP may not have realized what oil change meant.

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #8  
I think the OP said he was having to use a cane. He may have been unable to do the work himself.

Steve

I would employ a high school shop guy, a friend, neighbor, son or grandson, nephew, etc. I would pay them. They'd make honest buck. Good times. There's nothing better than having a younger guy around for few hours helping you out. I think it helps the older guy, but helps the younger guy at the same time. I don't just mean the finances either. :)

/ 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #9  
If it is like the RTV1100, change the oil means 4 liters for the engine, 11 liters for the HST, and 17 liters for the hydraulics.
That's a lot of oil. And HST/Hydraulic oil is expensive.
OP may not have realized what oil change meant.

The 50 hour service on the RTV 900 requires only an engine oil change. Per the manual, the transmission/hydraulic filters are to be changed without having to change the transmission/hydraulic oil.

Steve

Edit. I assumed the OP was talking about the first 50 hour service. My bad if he was talking about another service.

Last edited:
   / 50 hour service cost RTV 900 #10  
I would employ a high school shop guy, a friend, neighbor, son or grandson, nephew, etc. I would pay them. They'd make honest buck. Good times. There's nothing better than having a younger guy around for few hours helping you out. I think it helps the older guy, but helps the younger guy at the same time. I don't just mean the finances either. :)

I agree. I taught for 30 years before retiring. One of the things I miss is conversations with students -- we didn't spend most of the time talking about each other's health.:)

Steve