John Deere Gator XUV 625i

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i #1  

179bearpaw

Tractor
Kubota B2620
I was wondering if anyone owns or has test driven a 625i and what their opinion is. Specifically it's ability to climb rather steep hills and how it handles plowing snow. I don't need the ability to go much over 10 mph due to the terrain where it would be driven. Any feedback would be appreciated.

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i #2  
I have not owned a 625 but did own a 620 which was it's equal powered predecessor. These machines have been overshadowed by the new 825, but they are good machines. With stock diameter tires they climb steep hills fairly well and would easily plow snow in low range up to about 15 mph. They will plow in high on flat ground but they prefer low. My 825 can plow pretty fast but in all honesty my avg speed even in open is 11 max. Much over this your windscreen is splattered with snow. Steering is heavy with the top plow, but with a lighter winch operated plow they steer fine even without power steering. If you do not care about going fast and want a reliable workhorse that can plow well and last forever, the 625 is a great choice; just don't drive an 825. Not meaning to pry, but what in what area do you reside to give us an idea of your terrain and elevation?

John M

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i
I live in the northwestern NC mountains at an elevation of about 3,500 ft. I've been plowing all morning (Kubota B2620 with FEL and rear blade) and it's a losing battle at this point with the rate the snow is falling. I'd really like to have another option like the Gator 625i for plowing, especially a front blade. I have a 2,500 ft gravel driveway that climbs from an elevation of 2,900 ft to 3,500 ft.

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i #4  
Half mile driveway, WOW. I think you'd seriously want to consider the 855D over the 625i, but I'll defer to jcmseven and others with more experience. Luckily, here in Albemarle, I don't get enough snow that I EVER need to plow (knock on wood.) I've got a few inches of snow that has converted to solid ice in my 0.2 mi driveway but with gravel, there is enough traction that it is a non-issue and will melt over the next several days.
I'm sure you've looked at the other threads about snowplowing with Gators. I'm beginning to be thoroughly convinced that they are superior to tractors and pickup trucks.
Good luck with your decision.

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i #5  
I live in the northwestern NC mountains at an elevation of about 3,500 ft. I've been plowing all morning (Kubota B2620 with FEL and rear blade) and it's a losing battle at this point with the rate the snow is falling. I'd really like to have another option like the Gator 625i for plowing, especially a front blade. I have a 2,500 ft gravel driveway that climbs from an elevation of 2,900 ft to 3,500 ft.

Are you pushing or pulling the rear blade? I have a JD3720 with front and rear blade. I pull the rear blade (Concave towards tractor) (driving over the snow first) and its pretty quick.

I plow pulling the rear blade (turned around so it's less agressive) and it works really well and doesn't disturb the gravel too much. But we've had some really heavy snowfalls with significant drifting so I'd like an alternative/backup to make quick passes more often. The driveway will also get icy when the thawing and refreezing cycle starts after the snow starts to melt. The gator would give me a way to ferry the family up and down the mountain if I need to leave a vehicle at the bottom.

Attachments

• Picture 158.jpg
    Picture 158.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 1,289
   / John Deere Gator XUV 625i #7  
I've had a 625i since 12/22/10 - its been in the shop for the last week - for sure spend the extra money and get the 825 - dont want to say anything ugly about the 625 but I'm getting ready to file a texas state lemon law complaint on this unit.

That is dissappointing. I am sorry for your misfortune. One of the reasons I was leaning towards the 625i was because of the Kawasaki engine versus the Chinese automobile engine in the 825i. I thought it might be more reliable over the long haul.

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i #9  
Ive had the 625i since Oct. 09 and have had excellent service from it. 1 oil change about 91 hours on it and not one hiccup. I would like to here about what problems I could expect though. We are just finishing up the third snow since I have owned it and I can say it travels as fast as I need to go on the ice in Ga.

/ John Deere Gator XUV 625i #10  
The Chinese engine would not be a concern to me, but in the context of "would the Kawasaki with less power" do the job, it will. Where you live, you will not get the zippy hillclimbing performance of the higher-powered engine, but the Kawasaki will do fine. As for the gentleman with the poorly-behaving 625, though unfortunate, these cases are exceedingly rare. In addition, it likely does not speak well of the dealer if he is having to put under a lemon law as I have seen John Deere replace entire tractors for customers on rare occasions if it is needed to satisfy a customer who may have gotten one of those few "bad ones". In short, they shoot for customer satisfaction (one big reason people buy John Deere) though there is some variability between dealers to be sure.

John M