Tractor
    Kubota RTV 1140 Kubota Grand L4240

Default so i have a dilemma..

so I have a farm.. 272 acres.. mostly wooded.. for a bout 4 months..
    I have a kubota RTV 1140.. awesome..

and i have alot of plans..
    barn will be in shortly..
    house and moving there is about 4 years off.

I need the ability to cut grass, and level terrain. and I dont want to wait a few years till i can get a tractor. ive seen "atv" tow behind mowers, and i assume there is some kind of tow behind tiller..

should i wait a year or so and buy a tractor.. or buy a riding mower.. or a tow behind mower? just dont want to waste money now that wont be used later.

Platinum Member

Default Re: so i have a dilemma..

I have used the tow behind mowers and they are great to use. I cannot comment on the tiller.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy a pull behind mower if I was in need of a mower and diddnt want to lay out a the dough for a good stand alone mower.

I can say I have been looking for a used brushcutter style and they appear to hold their value well. I can get the brushcutter version for 1400 and I see them on craigs list routinly for 900. I called on a few of them and they had sold.
    If I had one I would continue to use it on trails and the like too small for a tractor and too big or rough for a rider.

I have had the oposite progression, I have tractors and skid loader, 0 turn, regular rider and find myself wanting to work in the woods places the above cant get to easily hence my quad... I think you will find a use for it.

I used my brothers pull behind for a summer. It is the smaller one TSP sells, the one with 2 wheels. My place is not flat and has lots of rolling hills. I would use it offset to the tractor. The front would dig in going over some of the smaller terrain changes. This is the only issue I had using it. If I had to have one I would get the bigger one with 4 wheels. It would cure the issue I had.

These things aren't cheap, plus you burning double the fuel. I would throw another $1000 or 2 with it and by a lightly used zero turn. It will mow faster than any tractor you can buy. Should last you for a long time. I am on my 2 law tractor (all acquired for cheap (<$300). When this one dies this is what I'm doing. The neighbor mows the same yard in a 1/3 of the time it takes me.

Remember my uncle had a pull behind tiller for his garden, back in the late 80's. Remember my dad saying you had to make a couple passes with it because it wasn't heavy enough. But it got the job done. Haven't seen one lately.
    Last edited by dirtracer31; 05-16-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Gold Member

I don't have a tractor yet either

meet my clean up crew.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

I gotta be honest.... the 1140 is a magnificent tool....I have one and use it daily on my 200+ acres.

Further, I couldn't get any of the heavy work done without my L5030 and it's numerous attachments. Until you can afford a tractor in the 50 to 60 hp range and attachments, you need to put all upgrades and modifications to the property on hold. Trying to do almost anything without a significant set of the stuff in my signature will simply lead to frustration, lots of sweat, and turtle-like progress on the project you are seeking to accomplish. This includes fencing, road maintenance, logging, crop/grass improvement, etc.

Thus, I urge you to get a 50+hp tractor with carefully selected implements ASAP. New isn't necessary but the tractor and attachments are.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140