RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures

/ RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures #1  

SteveCornell

Silver Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L6060 HSTC
I have looked all over the net for any information on the factory speakers in the Kubota RTV1100 but have found nothing and I have seen several post on here from folks asking about replacing them so I thought I would post pictures and some information as I replaced mine this evening.

This is what it looks like with the headliner removed.
attachment.php
attachment.php

The factory speakers aren't bad for OEM, 4 1\2" poly cone, rubber surround and a decent magnet structure, I had a pair of Infinity 4 1\2" 4012i Reference speakers laying around from my old car audio days which were a perfect fit so I used them, you can see the difference in the factory speakers and the replacements below.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I also had some Dynamat from the old days so I added a layer to the speaker area.
attachment.php

Part of the problem with the sound of the factory speakers is that the foam and carpet on the headliner is not very acoustically transparent even with the plastic part cut out as you can see below.
attachment.php

Since my new speakers are designed to be surface mounted I cut out the section of foam and carpet.
attachment.php

All was going well and it's time to reinstall the headliner and I find that the cutouts in the headliner are not lined up with the speaker mounting holes so part of the factory speaker was not even firing through the cut out.
attachment.php

Then the next problem I discovered is that there is about a 1\2" gap between the headliner and speaker mounting plate, I should have done some measuring before I cut the headliner... so learn from my mistake, no big deal but I would have cut the hole in the headliner differently had I realized this.
attachment.php

Since I did not want to deform the headliner that much I cut a 1\2" spacer out of plywood and mounted it to the headliner
attachment.php

I drilled holes through the plywood and into the steel speaker mounting plates and secured the speakers with 1" sheet metal screws.
attachment.php
attachment.php

The new speakers sound MUCH better that the factory speakers and aren't "muffled" like the factory speakers trying to fire through the foam and carpet of the headliner.

As I stated above the speakers are 4 1\2", you could fit 5 1\4" speakers if you wanted to cut some metal in the steel mounting plate, this is not sheet metal, it's steel and around 1\16" thick and could be cut with a jig saw or nibbler.
If you don't want to cut the headliner and keep the speakers hidden the install would be as simple as removing 4 screws on each speaker and replacing them, while the headliner is out I would try to remove some more of the foam backing so the headliner wouldn't muffle the sound so much and since the factory cutouts are not even lined up with the speaker, it has the same effect as throwing a towel over the speaker :D

My radio is a Pioneer DEH-P3600 also left over from my old car audio days, I'm very happy with the way it turned out and I hope you find this information helpful if you are thinking about replacing you factory speakers.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rtv1100 speak1.jpg
    rtv1100 speak1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7,898
  • rtv1100 speak2.jpg
    rtv1100 speak2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 5,797
  • rtv1100 speak3.jpg
    rtv1100 speak3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 5,530
  • rtv1100 speak4.jpg
    rtv1100 speak4.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 5,387
  • rtv1100 speak5.jpg
    rtv1100 speak5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5,093
  • rtv1100 speak6.jpg
    rtv1100 speak6.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5,391
  • rtv1100 speak7.jpg
    rtv1100 speak7.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5,031
  • rtv1100 speak8.jpg
    rtv1100 speak8.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5,081
  • rtv1100 speak9.jpg
    rtv1100 speak9.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4,958
  • rtv1100 speak10.jpg
    rtv1100 speak10.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 4,937
  • rtv1100 speak11.jpg
    rtv1100 speak11.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5,025
  • rtv1100 speak12.jpg
    rtv1100 speak12.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5,049
  • rtv1100 speak13.jpg
    rtv1100 speak13.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 6,998
  • rtv1100 speak14.jpg
    rtv1100 speak14.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 5,544
Last edited:
   / RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures #2  
Thanks for the writeup and pictures. I've been kind of hesitant about replacing the speakers but your writeup makes the job sound easier. Have you ever thought about putting a amplified subwoofer in as well ?
Thanks
Randy

/ RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures
Thanks for the writeup and pictures. I've been kind of hesitant about replacing the speakers but your writeup makes the job sound easier. Have you ever thought about putting a amplified subwoofer in as well ?
Thanks
Randy

Randy,

Yes, as a matter of fact I was looking at this last night :D
IF I do it I will build some sort of small enclosure to hide somewhere.
probably fabricate something out of fiberglass, I was looking around last night and I have some small 5" subwoofers left over from my car audio competition days that were pretty impressive for their size, I may try to do something like this later on when I get some time.

I also thought about building something with an 8" sub and making it a center console with cup holders, storage, etc.

I'm sure I won't be able to leave it alone for long :) I'll post if I decide to build something.

/ RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures #4  
Thanks for the info on the speakers Steve..That's on my to-do list..Now that I know the speaker size, i can do it all at one time...thanks

So the sound is materially better? In other words, the effort pays off?

/ RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures
Tim,

YES, MUCH better, well worth the effort!!

/ RTV1100 Speaker Replacement with Pictures #6  
Tim,

YES, MUCH better, well worth the effort!!

Thanks...Will pick up something that I can find retail..JBL/Polk..Whatever at 4.5"

A bigger help than you know...Thanks Dude!!!