UTV advice

/ UTV advice
So far Ive been looking only used - Ive seen several Gators, a Mule or three, and a Trekker and a EZ-Go. Im in the position of needing a UTV and a ZTR mower at about the same time, so I dont think "new" in the cards for me.

I havent seen any used Rhinos yet. Maybe their owners won't part with them? :)

/ UTV advice #12  
As you, I've been exploring the idea of buying a UTV.

I talked with a dealer regarding Polaris and Yamaha. He sells both. For a bullet proof machine go with the Yamaha Rhino. He's had customers with 8000+ miles on the machines and no issues! The Polaris has more features but has more reliability problems. With that being said, I do not like the Rhino's "locked" rear diff. This locked rear diff will tear the **** out of your grass.

I've also been considering the Kubota RTV 500. However I'm not crazy about it's rear suspension but I need to drive one. Also it has a hydraulic transmission which seems overly complicated for this application. I would hate to foot the bill if it breaks. But Kubota's 0% financing is very attractive!!! Not to mention I love Kubota tractors!

I will not consider JD because of their price and potential high China part content.

/ UTV advice #13  
I have 112 acres and use the 2010 Polarius Ranger 800 Crew extensively where I would have used my JD 3320 or F150, if I did not have it.

It is six passenger (great for family days), coolers, tools, ect and carrys a massive (to me) load up to 1750 lbs in the dump bed. I have had it loaded down with crushed concrete and it was great.

We have some wet areas leading to a river and it goes through water holes in 4WD like it is level land. Caution here as the exhaust is strangely low under the dump bed.

It will fly like the wind when needed. It does have a wide turn angle. Also a top form polarius is useless. The first rain got me soaked as there are two parts to the roof with a split where these overlap that is right over the front seat. We lined the overlap with silicone and no problem since.

Overall all I love it and my wife does not. She thought it was an ATV and it is not..it is a work machine. Also, she though we could license it like a dune buggy, but VA does not alllow this.

I have had no failures of equipement.

Bottom line is it takes where I need to go, does the work, and saves my other equipment. Good buy (for me). I have had it for a year. Best to yo, Jim

/ UTV advice #14  
For the best work utv imo take a look at the arctic cat prowler xhd. The machine has a 700cc efi motor that is bulletproof. Also They have fully locked rear and locking front diffs. The xhd also seats three in the cab, comes with fox float pros for alot better ride.

Also these have a convertable flat bed that is rated for 1000pounds. Also the machine is rated to tow 1500, it will pull alot more then that. The reason for 1500 is being able to safely stop with it. Front and rear 2inch receivers, the prowler is already setup with front winch mounts. Also the hood lifts up and the entire front end is all storage.

Stock these machines will out work a gator or mule ect ect, imo. With these you have alot more horse power, the prowler is not light so it has good traction, espically when you get rid of the junk tires, comes stock with power steering. Take a good hard look at these, plus when you want to go out and just have fun you can.

ARCTIC CAT - Prowler HDX 700i

/ UTV advice #15  
As you, I've been exploring the idea of buying a UTV.

I talked with a dealer regarding Polaris and Yamaha. He sells both. For a bullet proof machine go with the Yamaha Rhino. He's had customers with 8000+ miles on the machines and no issues! The Polaris has more features but has more reliability problems. With that being said, I do not like the Rhino's "locked" rear diff. This locked rear diff will tear the **** out of your grass.

I've also been considering the Kubota RTV 500. However I'm not crazy about it's rear suspension but I need to drive one. Also it has a hydraulic transmission which seems overly complicated for this application. I would hate to foot the bill if it breaks. But Kubota's 0% financing is very attractive!!! Not to mention I love Kubota tractors!

I will not consider JD because of their price and potential high China part content.

look at new holland's utv the Rustler, much nicer than the Kubota has all wheel independent suspension and disc brakes, made in Georgia

/ UTV advice #16  
The Rhinos weigh 1100lbs.much more than ATVs(600lb.limit).Mine is a 2006 450,use it just about every day.2400 miles so far with NO problems.
Rated to tow 1500lbs,carry 400 lbs.The 450 is decent on gas,I had a 660 Grizzly,not so good on gas.
Family has 750 Kawasaki Teryx(like very much,again tough on gas),brother in law just purchased a 2011 John Deere Gator,very big work machine with some fun town in.Burns two gallons per hour of gas!
Friends have Polaris rangers,I am not a fan.I have a Kubota tractor but their UTV are (for me)too big,expensive,heavy,not very off road capable.Low suspension.
My uses are work related(I am not a joy rider),I use my machines for my business.Yamahas have been great,we have owned three.

I'll second the Yamaha Rhino review...
I've got 27" tires on mine and it has never, ever been stuck...and it has traveled through some very nasty stuff. Towed trailers of wood (much more than the 1500# rec. cap.) and also a few 15-17' boats from our house to the landing in neighborhood (maybe 1/2 mile). I just put it in low and go slow. Haven't replaced the belt on the drive yet, but I'm guessing that is the weak point in these vehicles.

/ UTV advice #17  
I'll second the Yamaha Rhino review...
I've got 27" tires on mine and it has never, ever been stuck...and it has traveled through some very nasty stuff. Towed trailers of wood (much more than the 1500# rec. cap.) and also a few 15-17' boats from our house to the landing in neighborhood (maybe 1/2 mile). I just put it in low and go slow. Haven't replaced the belt on the drive yet, but I'm guessing that is the weak point in these vehicles.

The Yamaha, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat all have full tension cvts. Polaris and others have the grip and slip style and they are a lot harder on the belts. There is a ton of tunning that can be done with the clutches on these machines and can give you a lot more speed or more torque. Depending on what you do with the rollers, or the tension on the secondary. Many ways to control your upshift to keep your rpms up and not having the clutch shift out to keep you in your power.

Any of the UTV's by the atv mfgs will do great for you for you other then the rzr the can am those are more sport then utility.

/ UTV advice #18  
The Yamaha, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat all have full tension cvts. Polaris and others have the grip and slip style and they are a lot harder on the belts. There is a ton of tunning that can be done with the clutches on these machines and can give you a lot more speed or more torque. Depending on what you do with the rollers, or the tension on the secondary. Many ways to control your upshift to keep your rpms up and not having the clutch shift out to keep you in your power.

Any of the UTV's by the atv mfgs will do great for you for you other then the rzr the can am those are more sport then utility.

Does Suzuki make an UTV? I've never seen one.

/ UTV advice #19  
Has anyone had any experience with the Japanese mini truck imports? I have been looking into them and for the low price they seem to have a lot to offer. I could be mistaken but I think they are essentially a 660 UTV but with a full tranny with hi and low too, some come with dump beds installed, most have an interior like a pickup with heat and some have ac too. Bed that folds into a flatbed heavy payload too. Import laws require them to be governed at 25 mph but after you get it home any idiot should be able to put back to jap specs.

Anyone have some input on this? Thanks

/ UTV advice #20  
I know this isnt a UTV forum per se, but figured many of you may have one. I need a UTV to run around the property and carry tools, some light towing, etc and Ive been scanning the used ones at the local tractor/equipment places. I dont know anything about brands, but a decent 2-seater, 4WD, with a bed on the back should work.

Is there any difference b/w Gators, Mules, Rhinos, etc? And how many hours is too many to consider? Any other things I should look for?

Or is there a good UTV forum where these things are discussed? I googled but nothing decent came up.

Thanks!

there is a company that pops in and out of existance now and then.. last time they were in existance they went by the name. yerfdog. you can google and find out about them.

they go bankrupt often.

I have one of their machines. as long as I don't need parts for it I'm likely ok.. :)

was an economy unit.. should have known there would be a catch.

mind you I've had it 3ys and the only problem was a loose bolt on a tie rod.. 1/2-20 came off and tire plowed sidewas before I stopped. found out a ford lugnut from one of my tractors fit it fine.. :)

soundguy