UTV advice

/ UTV advice #1  

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
I know this isnt a UTV forum per se, but figured many of you may have one. I need a UTV to run around the property and carry tools, some light towing, etc and Ive been scanning the used ones at the local tractor/equipment places. I dont know anything about brands, but a decent 2-seater, 4WD, with a bed on the back should work.

Is there any difference b/w Gators, Mules, Rhinos, etc? And how many hours is too many to consider? Any other things I should look for?

Or is there a good UTV forum where these things are discussed? I googled but nothing decent came up.

Thanks!

/ UTV advice #2  
The Gator, Mule, the Bobcat and Kubota versions, along with some others, are work-oriented. They are generally slower, have reduced suspension travel and quality in a performance scenario, and tend to have more work-type attachments available from the factory.

The Rhino, Teryx, some variants of the Ranger series, and others are more performance oriented. They tend to be higher horsepower, have higher top speeds, and have more suspension travel.

This is along a continuum, so a Rhino can still do good work like pulling a trailer or pushing a plow, but one of the Bobcat UTVs has a three point hitch in the back and can lift 1500lbs 7 feet high in a skiploader bucket up front.

For just running around and general errands, any of the versions from any common manufacture will work fine. I think the Rhino/Ranger type machines ride a little smoother. I don't own one but have used the Rhino and Ranger quite a bit, and have some experience with the Kubota and Bobcat machines. Others will know more specifics.

/ UTV advice #3  
If you scroll down a bit further, you'll see under "related equipment"
ATV's and Utility vehicles. Lots of good info there. Lots of differences between the machines you mentioned. Some folks like more speed, some like stronger units for towing/hauling, etc.
I own a Cub Cadet UTV, I bought it used with 200+ hours. I personally wouldn't buy one with more than 500 hours. It's got a standard 20 HP Kohler command gas engine, many people prefer the gas FI models. I added a cylinder for the dump bed, and just added a rumble seat in the bed so I can haul family around the property. Works great for my purposes.
You'll be amazed at all the options available for these machines.....they can be very handy machines!
Good luck and have fun shopping!

/ UTV advice #4  
I have owned a mule and currently have a kubota and a rhino. I like both ofvthem but they are completely different. Kubota is a diesel workhorse. Top speed about 25 mph, i regularly haul 1500 lbs with it, it has pulled out stuck pickups, etc. The thing is also heavy and gets stuck on occasion. The rhino goes 40 plus mph, rides smooth, does not weigh much more than a four wheeler, I have yet to get it stuck, but it will not haul near what the kubota does. The mule was similar to the kubota in that it was work oriented but it gave us a lot of problems so we sold it. If I was going to buy another one it would probably be a ranger. They seem to be kind of sporty and still have good payload capacity.

/ UTV advice #5  
I have a 2008 Ranger 700 EFI and and very pleased with it's work ability. Starts and runs good, very strong machine, 1000lbs in bed and pulls 2000 lbs. Very capable off road. Sits three adults. Good winch and winch mounting via 2" receiver hitch front and back. Very good electrical system, easy to access and readily adaptable for aftermarket bits. Bed is flat where others have bumps over wheel wells.

It is not without a few issues. Parking brake was never very good and failed shortly after warr expired and they want $99.00 for new brake pads, (I now carry wheel chocks).You must stop to change from hi to lo range which can be a problem if you have a load, need lo to go but can not shift to hi once rolling so limited in speed. It will cut ruts in soft ground and as the track width is different than ATVs and trucks, will make problems for other vehicles. Speedo crapped out (I won't pay to fix it as I only use it for farm/forest work). Polaris has a "special tool" mania and likes you to use thier name brand lubricants. OEM lighting is not great. OEM snow plow frame is not quite right but does work well on normal roads/driveways, (I also use mine in my sugar bush so has fallen off on rougher terrain).

I do not have assisted steering but next one will. Most notably absent when pulling loaded trailers or backing up due to wide track and agressive treads. Have not compared with other recent additions to the UTV market but in 2008, seemed the best unit for my needs. Would not buy another automaticly without doing some serious comparo work against the newer models now on the market.

/ UTV advice #6  
Pretty much agree with the previous assessments. We love our Rhino and just installed power steering, but it is not oriented to heavy work for which we have tractors and trucks.

/ UTV advice #7  
The Rhinos weigh 1100lbs.much more than ATVs(600lb.limit).Mine is a 2006 450,use it just about every day.2400 miles so far with NO problems.
Rated to tow 1500lbs,carry 400 lbs.The 450 is decent on gas,I had a 660 Grizzly,not so good on gas.
Family has 750 Kawasaki Teryx(like very much,again tough on gas),brother in law just purchased a 2011 John Deere Gator,very big work machine with some fun town in.Burns two gallons per hour of gas!
Friends have Polaris rangers,I am not a fan.I have a Kubota tractor but their UTV are (for me)too big,expensive,heavy,not very off road capable.Low suspension.
My uses are work related(I am not a joy rider),I use my machines for my business.Yamahas have been great,we have owned three.

/ UTV advice #8  
NEw Holland Rustler. it is a nice machine. the Rustler 115 has top speed of 25 mph. it compares to the Kubota RTV500 and the Mule. But it is a V-twin motor, has all wheel independent suspension, all wheel disc brakes, automatice high and low tranny, on the fly 4x4, a lot more leg room than the Mule, and has 9" inches of groudn clearance which is 2" more than the above mentioned two UTV. it also has a 2 year warranty instead of 1 year.

/ UTV advice
Great info! Thanks. I note your 500-hour threshold, good to know.

I did not realize how much some of these could tow/haul, very impressive. I thought they were overgrown golf carts :D I dont think Id work it that hard, but Im definitely on the work side of the spectrum...I dont really care about top speed as long as it can pull a trailer, help with fencing, and go around my perimeter trail OK.

EDIT: I apologize for not noting the UTV subforum here; seems I looked everywhere but right under my nose :eek:

Last edited:
   / UTV advice #10  
Depending on how flush you are with cash, any of the machines will carry a roll of fencing, pull a little trailer, and cruise around the property just fine. The one Mule I've ridden in rode terribly rough. The Ranger and Rhino ride excellent, even on very rough terrain. That doesn't mean all the Mules ride like that, but the sportier types will ride more smoothly, as a function of their increased suspension travel and generally lower carrying capacity.

Are you looking exclusively at used machines? Consider going to look at several different kinds, and see if you can actually drive them around enough to get a feel for how they ride and handle. Steering effort can be extremely high at slow speeds for some of them, especially on high traction surfaces.

I really like the Rhinos for their ubiquitous parts sources and overall reliability, but they don't have anything other than a solid rear end. The Ranger has an unlockable rear differential that makes working on pavement, turf one actually cares about, and other such places much easier. Some (all?) of the work-oriented machines have that feature as well, but of the sportier types Polaris is the only one with that feature. The Ranger kind of straddles the recreation/work line the most.