Rtv900 help!

/ Rtv900 help! #1  

Quackchaser

My father-in-law has a Rtv900 diesel, lately after driving it about 50 ft it starts to bog down and sometimes dies, sometimes doesnt. Usually dies after you stomp down on pedal to try and accelerate. then it will run fine for a minute until you really romp on the pedal. Does this sound like a fuel filter issue? Ive never worked on this thing, And I have no idea the last time it was serviced. I really dont want to haul it to a shop for them to change a $10 part, just hoping you guys can tell me what you think it may be so I can correct it myself, thanks!

/ Rtv900 help! #2  
I'd start first with replacing the filter then if the problem isn't corrected I'd drain the fuel and replace with hopefully fresh clean water free diesel fuel. Also check the fuel lid. If that doesn't do it, I'd go to the dealer unless someone on this forum told me of other things to try.

/ Rtv900 help! #3  
there is a thread on another forum about a guy who was having just about the same issues it turned out moisture had acumulated in the fuel tank and coroded just about every thing in it .i don't know how much you use the rtv but if it sets up for any time or you don't op the tank off after every use it could build up moisture and kill everything.

/ Rtv900 help!
My wife uses it to clean horse stalls. It sits inside a barn and gets used once a week, hardly enough to even get it up to full operating temperature. Well hopefully thats not the problem, but sounds like it could be.

/ Rtv900 help! #5  
Had the same issue with my RTV 900. Changing the fuel filter out did not clear up the issue. Removing the tank and all fuel lines, draining and replacing them did clear up the problem.

The real issue is that these RTVs have only a simple fuel filter. They do not have a fuel/water separator. Kubota offers a bolt on kit to install a fuel/water separator. It bolts right in to the frame. Bolt holes already in place. It cost around $90, worth every penny when I am out plowing snow 1/4 mile down the driveway in the middle of winter at 10:00 at night. I do not have the part number handy, but got it off another thread in TBN discussing this same issue.

/ Rtv900 help! #6  
I use Stanadyne Blue Label in my fuel and never had a problem in 5 years living in Idaho. It does sound like a fuel problem to me and if filter replacement doesn't work, then I'd clean the tank and lines. It doesn't take much to mess up the fuel system in such a small engine. Just hope there isn't crud in the injector pump or injectors....big trouble.

Pap

/ Rtv900 help! #7  
Look at the air filter. One of ours had the same problem & the air filter was completely stopped up.