RTV/UTV theft deterrant

/ RTV/UTV theft deterrant #1  

Stoweski

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 Kubota RTV900
Hi.
I met with a salesman today for Kubota RTV's. He said that people have stolen quite a few RTV's, zero-turns, and tractors around the Northeast in the past few weeks. He then held up a few keys and said that all of the keys (6-8 total) will run every motorized unit on their lot.

That being said I was wondering what people do to prevent theft of their utility vehicles. More specifically, those that are kept outdoors or not in a secure building. I plan on keeping mine undercover in a 3-walled building and want to make sure nobody can just come in and swipe it.

A couple ideas that I've come up with are wheel locks or some kind of remote controlled switch on the battery that cuts power when not deactivated.

Anyone have another idea of what they use? Oh, and a Smith & Wesson doesn't count. :)

/ RTV/UTV theft deterrant #2  
A cut off switch hooked up and put in a hidden place would be a good option. However, if someone is really intent on stealing something they will do so.

I don't make things easy for people to steal but I also don't lose sleep over worrying about it. I park my tractor out in the field and its worth around $20k but what I worry about is someone stealing the tools I keep in the little tool box, stupid as it is but I figure those tools are more likely to be stolen then the tractor. So far I have never had anything of mine stolen. When I got hurt and was in the hospital for a couple weeks someone stole some air tools out of my fathers work truck. We figured it had to be someone who knew us as he was driving to Buffalo (an hour away) every day to come see me. So they had to know no one was home and that was the only time we had anything stolen around here that I know of.

/ RTV/UTV theft deterrant #3  
2nd the remote cut off switch. I use a battery cut off w/key. Same style you see on race cars. The 'key' is removable. just take it in the house with you. In off position, battery is disconnected. Keeps the kids from turning on the ign switch and running up the hour meter or discharging the battery. If you have a radio w/memory, you need to run a 12v feed from the battery to the radio memory wire.

BTW - my cut off is wire on the negative battery circuit.

/ RTV/UTV theft deterrant
2nd the remote cut off switch. I use a battery cut off w/key. Same style you see on race cars. The 'key' is removable. just take it in the house with you. In off position, battery is disconnected. Keeps the kids from turning on the ign switch and running up the hour meter or discharging the battery. If you have a radio w/memory, you need to run a 12v feed from the battery to the radio memory wire.

BTW - my cut off is wire on the negative battery circuit.

That's what I'm thinking. Where did you get such a thing?

As for the parking in garage idea, that's not an option. With two vehicles, a tractor a workshop, and various other large items (that could potentially walk if left outside) I do not have additional room for a utility vehicle. Well, I do have room for the 500 but not the 900. The 500 I'm afraid will be too small for my needs.

Thanks!

/ RTV/UTV theft deterrant #7  
You can put a heavy chain and lock around the wheel to something on the frame. Park it where it can't be seen.

Make sure it is covered on your insurance.

Ken

/ RTV/UTV theft deterrant #9  
Insurance. I’m not about to wrap chains around mine every time I park it. I’m not even going to mess with hidden switches or anything like that. I’m just not willing to inconvenience my life because someone MIGHT steal something. Take the keys inside and don’t spend time worrying about it. At the most, put a locked door or gate on the open side of the building. Seems pretty simple.