Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    RTV1100 2009

Default Re: RTV 900 sucks at snow plowing?

My experience since 2008 with an RTV900(08) and now RTV1100(09) is they are plenty powerful to push lots of snow no question.
    However a catch as described here would be either plowed every hour in a storm or as often as possible to avoid build up. Even then you would get overwhelmed and or stuck.
    It's snowblower time no question.
    I plow up big drifts and my snowblower guy gets rid of it for me. 200hp tractor/blower impossible to beat.
    RTV quick and simple clean ups works great.
    Once the banks get so high, here in Canada, highways pull out the blowers. They should know me thinks.

Silver Member

My experience with plowing and RTV's has been in a commercial setting. When I was in college I was a groundskeeper and during the winter I plowed snow with RTV900 and 1100's. They where fantastic machines for snow removal. In a light snow you could plow in high range and never bog down. With a heavy snow low range was the requirement. In really deep drifting snow they sucked. However in a deep drifting snow you have two choices get a large machine with a small blade or a blower. Also when it came to pushing banks back they were lacking and it would take several passes to move them if it moved them at all. The rubber flap on the top of the factory blades really helps with pushing deeper snow. When ever a heavy snow was coming we would put the stainless Curtis fast cast 550 in the back and load it with salt. Those Curtis spreaders are heavy and with 500+ pounds of salt they are great ballest. The worksite tires seemed to do just fine on paved serfaces.
    If you can do it with a blade and have some areas where you need to transport between the RTV is king. Now the disclaimer: most of my plowing was done on paved sidewalks. I only would plow a half mile section of flat road whenever the trucks forgot about it. There where few good hills on my zone and all of them we plowed going down hill. Our RTV's had worn out worksite tires, and either brine tanks or curtis spreaders. We had the factory curtis plows with the asinine hydro angle, electric lift.
    John Deere 55 what type of plow do you use? I do not see a plow mount on the front of the RTV.

We tried out an RTV 900 for a month with a plow on it last December We didn't like it so we didn't buy it. Instead we bought an RTV 1100 without a plow mount.

Silver Member

John Deere 55 what where the shortcomings of the RTV? And what do you currently plow with?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320; 4520

One problem our OP may face unique to him is the gradient of his driveway. I have been trying to chew on the probably bad advice his dealer is giving him just to see if there is any thread of truth in it. On steep grades the RVT machine's weight and relatively low engine power means that under load it may have to plow in the lowest range. With kubota's mild tire choices, without chains this could result in traction issues. My neighbor plows with an RTV. His machine does not plow as well as my Gator, but better than any tractor we have seen. His main problem is that snowplows that are well-shaped, require speed to roll the snow away into the windrow. Without some speed, the snow tends to clump up on the front and that can be heavy if it is wet. With blades on these machines being 6-7' on average, there is a chance the machine could struggle on a really steep gradient like his. Perhaps what his dealer realizes is that the Kubota may bog down pushing heavy snow uphill when needed on a gradient like that. I have, in fact, seen this occur with my neighbor's machine but not to the level that it could not do it. Anywhere else, it is a good snow moving machine. This is one reason the 825i XUV and Polaris Ranger make generally good snow plowing UTV's. They are heavy (the JD more than the Polaris), but accelerate and maintain speed quickly and well, maximizing the rolling effect of the snow plow and getting better results in those cases.

John M

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Thanks, John. The issue is actually that for a couple hundred yards there is no room for a windrow because of a stone wall on one side and an incline on the other. When pressed further, the dealer explained that in his experience the only way to deal with that stretch would be to blow the snow up and over the wall.
    Kubota L3240HST, LA721 FEL, Farmi 531 winch, Woods 72" Brush Bull, LandPride RB2584 blade with hydraulic angle
    Kubota KX121-3S, angle blade w/ float, hydraulic thumb
    BMW R1200GS for solo adventures
    BMW R1200GSA w/ sidecar for adventures with my dog - www.TravelsWithBarley.com

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 23

What is your dealer trying to sell you instead? That is the 1st thing comes to my mind. I have a Suski Eiger 400 and it has handled all that mother nature has given Maine in the last 4 years. As someone else said you can't wait until it is 16 inches deep to start plowing. I have a BX23 for back-up but rarely use it. Do occasionally have an overpowering urge for some seat time.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 23

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG View Post
    For chains I put these ones on and they are awesome

International Chain & Cable - ATV Tire Chains

Looks like a trip to KMD is order. Currently use only rear chains on 4wheelr. But would like set for the BX23.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Quote Originally Posted by davcog View Post
    What is your dealer trying to sell you instead? That is the 1st thing comes to my mind. I have a Suski Eiger 400 and it has handled all that mother nature has given Maine in the last 4 years. As someone else said you can't wait until it is 16 inches deep to start plowing. I have a BX23 for back-up but rarely use it. Do occasionally have an overpowering urge for some seat time.
    He's recommending a blower. It's nice to be able to plow on a regular basis, but there have been times when I get off work and find that last half mile under three feet of snow. There are only three houses on my road, so in this tourist town we are the absolute last to get plowed out. Couple that with wind, and that troublesome section might have as much as five feet of snow with nowhere to push it but straight forward. Not even the huge town plow can move that much; they generally send a large articulated bucket loader with skidder chains on it when that happens.
    Kubota L3240HST, LA721 FEL, Farmi 531 winch, Woods 72" Brush Bull, LandPride RB2584 blade with hydraulic angle
    Kubota KX121-3S, angle blade w/ float, hydraulic thumb
    BMW R1200GS for solo adventures
    BMW R1200GSA w/ sidecar for adventures with my dog - www.TravelsWithBarley.com

Silver Member

Boondox your dealer might be onto something. With such a long distance to push snow straight you really have no choice other than a blower or a massive plow rig with a little blade. An RTV will be a great choice for light fluffy snow however for deeper wet snow it would make plowing a real chore on the walled secton. Maybe a blower for your B3030 would be a better option. They offer a 63" and a 51" front mount I would lean towards the 51". You would be able to make the initial cut through drifts quicker and still get the drive done in two passes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast