TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #1  

nohatnocattle

Tractor
MF202
Hi Folks,

New guy here about to embark on a major life change and moving rural: 25 acres, some topography, wet, softer soil, private lake, lots of trees and paths to be cut. Harsh winters. Already have a family tractor headed this way, a 38 horse Massey, MF202, gas. the new Deere unit wont go off the property and wont be used recreationally- just projects on the property. I don't hunt.

My initial search has me to the JohnDeere units listed above. their specs and prices are very similar but obviously different configurations. I have yet to chat with a dealer and can make my own assumptions about what type of user would purchase one versus the other.

my guesses/differences for each:

6x4:
-more of a turf, grounds maintenance machine
-chain drive
-wet brakes
-air cooled
-slightly less powerful
-probably doesn't ride as nicely over rougher terrain, no rear suspension
-would need a more aggressive tire tread straight away

625i:
-more recreational, hunting, pleasure
-belt drive
-disc brakes
-liquid cooled
-full independent suspension
-gear range selector
-better pulling traction and least likely to get stuck

I am a shade tree mechanic and love low maintenance, looks to me like the 6x4 wins the simple award. My gut tells me the 625i is the way to go but wanted to give a full range of thought and opinions to the 6x4 as well.

So- does anyone have side by side experience using both of these machines? Or do any owners of either have input about features on the other machine they would see as useful and wish theirs had?

thanks a bunch,

Dave

***i should have included the HPX as well, maybe a nice middle ground***

Last edited:
   / TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #2  
NoHatNoCattle, what a thought provoking forum name. I guess I could be manyhatsnotmanycattle. I am a die hard John Deere person. Been associated with JD equipment for nearly 50 years. This summer I purchased a new UTV. My first criteria was NO Belt Drive. That limited my viewing to two UTVs, Honda Big Red and Kubota RTV. Both are nice; however, my needs were like yours, for projects (farm use) only. To me the Honda is more recreational with a LOT of plastic. The Kubota RTV 900 is much more work related having less plastic and significantly heavier built weighing in at over 1900 lbs. Yes, I purchased the Kubota for close to $2k more than the Honda. After 4 months of ownership, I remain excited with the purchase and continue to be amazed with its' pulling ability.

After purchasing the RTV, I was at my JD dealer seeing if they had a side mounted rearview mirror that would fit the Kubota. Thats whwn the deserved ribbing began. When all said and done, the dealer had his tail tucked away based on the cost comparison as well as design comparison. The very best thing about JD is that if the dealer doesn't have a needed part, one is available the next day, at least in Arkansas. Remember the plastic comment abpve.

Long story short, consider comparing the JG Gator to the Kubota RTV 900. I guarantee the Kubota will out pull the Gator even if the Gator is a diesel.

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #3  
I've owned a 6x4 TH model for about 5 years and 1600 hrs. now. Been very happy with it over that time. We use it daily on our horse farm of mostly hilly pasture. Several advantages of this model has been the low loading level of the bed. Makes it very easy on everyone when loading hay bales, feed, manure, dead tree limbs,etc.. The low center of gravity and the way the bed is over the four rear wheels makes it extremely stable on hills even with full loads. The transmission wet disc brakes really hold the gator on inclines and offer long wear and no maintenance then changing the trans fluid. Our's has the turf knobby style tires which are less aggressive on the turf but still have good traction in muddy areas when used with the locking rear transaxle control. The fatter tires do a better than thought job of softening the ride even with no suspension in the rear. We use it occasionally on trail rides but I don't feel it is ideally designed for this. Functionally it's very easy to drive for everyone. Very short learning curve. Gas pedal, brake pedal and one handle for forward and reverse. And a center parking brake handle like a car. No low or high drive mode or 4 wheel drive switches to worry about. Hope this helps.

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #4  
We have a hpx diesel 4x4 with over 1600hrs. Has hauled many loads of wood, deer, feed ,round bales and even a patient from a bicycle crash in a secluded area to a helicopter with no problems yet. One dealer cautioned me that the 6x4 models do not maneuver rteal well in tight areas due to the tandem rear axle. Just food for thought. Good luck.

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #5  
My first Gator was a diesel 6x4. Very stable but very rough riding and didn't do well in very wet conditions. Second was an HPX diesel, much better ride. I currently have an 855D Gator with independent suspension. Worlds ahead of the others. MUCH better ride and handling. I would suggest getting the 625i, the independent suspension is much better than the solid suspension on the 6x4 or HPX.

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas
thanks everybody, I have included all input within my spreadsheet!

A diesel unit would be my first diesel anything, no doubt some of its advantages but i have never felt I was missing anything with a quality, gas motor. and needing a second fuel type just isn't worth it for me.

I don't own the property yet (24 acres, treed, huge spring fed pond/small lake, rolling hills, etc) so the comments about the 6x4 ride quality are noted. I think most of the land is soft, moist soil so at least it's not jagged rocks and dry, rutted dirt. no matter what unit i settle on I think the most aggressive mud tire will be a must, it will only be on concrete when parked.

I have obviously known the Kubota name and just assumed they were too expensive (RVT500), maybe not. the hydro static drive is no doubt the Cadillac design with some other hydraulic options.

I've been a Honda car/bike/push mower/generator/string trimmer/etc. guy my whole life, man those Big Red's are pricey! don't understand that one....

Mule 610 4x4 xc might be worth a look as well....

thanks again.

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #7  
I think I remember reading John Deere releasing a 500 class Gator UTV. I wanna say it's supposed to be released in November but don't hold me to it. Seems like it might be better suited of what you're looking for.

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas
thanks guys,

I fully accept that I am on the benign end of your user range(s) but also expect products to perform and endure as advertised. investing in quality is just that...

forums can be dangerous, thus far- this is not one of them.

Dave

/ TH 6x4 gas versus XUV 625I gas #9  
JD is introducing a smaller XUV 550 if you are looking at the Kawasaki 610 or Kubota 500. Specs are already on the Deere website.