Honda TRX300 no power to switch

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I have a '98 or '99 Honda 4 Wheeler. Had some trouble cranking over the last six months, but always got it running. Then started back firing a bit. Poor little deer thought i was shooting at her yesterday.

My wife and I went for semi long ride, was going pretty fast, and it quit. Sat for a few minutes and started. Got it close to home and quit again. Started again, and got home.

Yesterday, cranked ok but when I went out late afternoon I cannot get the green neutral light to come on, and of course the starter does nothing. I worked to make sure I had neutral, but nothing. Where do I start? Battery....I don;t remember ever getting a new one. Wires?

I will try the kick start and see if it will work.

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch #2  
Try the kick starter. I have replaced the battery in my 99 TRX300 once, and I think it is a safe assumption that yours is shot after 12 years.

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch #3  
+1 on the battery. It can do some funny things to the electric system if it is not at its full capacity.

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch
Try the kick starter. I have replaced the battery in my 99 TRX300 once, and I think it is a safe assumption that yours is shot after 12 years.

Kick starter worked on first try, so that is a relief. Only way I had to test the battery was to hook up my Moultrie seeder. It works fine, so battery may be OK. Still would be best to get a new one, I suppose.

Now to find the problem. There is a marine shop down the road that also does ATVs. I will probably just take it in and let them give it a good overall service, oil, filters, etc, and figure out the electrical problem. There is a small cylinder object right next to the battery, and connected to the battery, and it has a lot of corrosion.

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch #5  
That is your starter solenoid. I would clean those connections up and maybe charge your battery. How much of a load does that seeder put on it? A load bank test is in order I believe.

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch #6  
There are also inline fuses on the cables from the battery. Check those for corosion.

There are also inline fuses on the cables from the battery. Check those for corosion.

That is your starter solenoid. I would clean those connections up and maybe charge your battery. How much of a load does that seeder put on it? A load bank test is in order I believe.

Looks like online I can get parts for the TRX300 fairly easily. I might just try to clean parts and replace where needed and see if I can pull this off. A few questions:

1. When looking at the parts websites I see the option for TRX 300 Fourtrax 300 (88 - 00) or TRX 300 EX (93 - 07). I also see TRXC 300 /FW, which I assume is four wheel drive. I have two wheel. My manual has two lines on bottom left of cover. One line is TRX 300, second line is Fourtrax 300. I want to be sure I get the right parts.

2. I had the 4-Wheeler serviced regularly for its first few years, but I have only changed oil and spark plug since. In the manual I do not see a good 1.2.3 for a novice like me to service. Does anyone have a good online source for that?

3. Near the gas feed on the right handle is a little box with a window that loooks like gas. Do I need to replace a filter there?

4. Does anyone have a good check list for parts that I should get for an overall service?

5. Based on these questions do you think I need to let someone else do it.

Thanks

/ Honda TRX300 no power to switch #8  
1. Do you know the year of this machine? If not, give me the 10th number off of the VIN and I can get you the year. That will get us started looking in the right direction of parts. It is usually located in the left side of the main frame inscribed on it. Might have to clean mud/dirt off to see it.

2. I would change spark plug, check air filter, change engine oil & filter, & differential fluid if it has not been done.

3. I think your probably talking about your brake fluid there. Just make sure it is full and it will be all right. Typically the fuel filter on four wheelers is a mesh screen that comes up off of the fuel on/off valve. It may be different depending on the application. Usually no service is required unless dirt is dropped in the tank.

4. We can get you a check list when I can get a year.

5. I can help you through the routine service if you like. If you feel more comfortable letting a dealer handle it, it's totally up to you. I just like doing things myself, I know it's done right & I have the satisfaction of accomplishing something. Good luck.

Thanks. I will get the info on VIN tonight.

1. Do you know the year of this machine? If not, give me the 10th number off of the VIN and I can get you the year. That will get us started looking in the right direction of parts. It is usually located in the left side of the main frame inscribed on it. Might have to clean mud/dirt off to see it.

2. I would change spark plug, check air filter, change engine oil & filter, & differential fluid if it has not been done.

3. I think your probably talking about your brake fluid there. Just make sure it is full and it will be all right. Typically the fuel filter on four wheelers is a mesh screen that comes up off of the fuel on/off valve. It may be different depending on the application. Usually no service is required unless dirt is dropped in the tank.

4. We can get you a check list when I can get a year.

5. I can help you through the routine service if you like. If you feel more comfortable letting a dealer handle it, it's totally up to you. I just like doing things myself, I know it's done right & I have the satisfaction of accomplishing something. Good luck.

Here is what I found:
Front axle area: TRX300 2000 Model
478TE 1409Y A106329

Under the Seat: TRX300Y (hmmmm the same Y as 10th char above?)
Color G-152
Code G-152

On the Engine S HC4 000
G 346297

I bought it new in the fall, so it must have been fall of 1999, and I got the 2000 Model. Today, I also downloaded a service manual that covers thru the 00 model. All the pictures, etc look just like my 4-Wheeler

I do plan to attack this myself, so your help will be greatly appreciated