Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

Default Polaris Sportsman 550 XP or Yamaha Grizzly 550

Found a deal on one the Polaris's.. Any problems with these? Rode a Yamaha Grizzly and the Polaris rides and handles better. Have heard good and bad about Polaris but hear some trouble with the Grizzly too. One thing for sure they all have too many electronics and are too high.
    Last edited by tom4018; 11-24-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Fords

Default Re: Polaris Sportsman 550 XP

The early Polaris quads had a lot of problems. Now, they are probably more in line with the Jap brands. I am not a Polaris guy by a long shot, but if it fits your needs and its a good price, go for it.

Tractor
    Montana 4344HST

we have 2 trailboss 330- 2007. love them.
    Sackett aka "Steve"
    TSgt, USAF Ret. 1981-2001
    2008 Montana 4344HST
    4' Brush Hog; 6' rear blade; 6' box blade

"Thanks for the tractor Rick"
    In memory of my brother
    Richard A. Hansen 1961-2008
    SSgt, USAF Ret. 1980-2000

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Default Re: Polaris Sportsman 550 XP or Yamaha Grizzly 550

I have a 2010 550XP EFI. Bought it as a leftover last year. I don't have the electronic steering option but haven't had a need for it. No problems so far but mainly only use it during hunting season. Throttle control is a little sensitive, I'd like to change mine to a twist throttle rather than the lever type. Hitch receiver is 1 1/4" I wish it was 2", then all my hitches would have fit. I had a 2004 Polaris 400 prior to this without any problems.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

The Honda (and other) gear drive folks will disparage the belt drive, and vice versa. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands, and Polaris has there share of fans, including myself.

Tractor
    NH TN75

Have they improved the engine breaking on the Polaris quads? They haven't on the Rangers.

I have an 02 660 Grizzly that has never given me any problems. Some of the earlier Grizzs had some heat issues, but then again, so does my 2010 Ranger.

If you ride any steep areas, I would definitely check out the EBS on whatever you go with.

Not sure which Grizz model you are comparing, but the 700EFI with EPS sure is nice. Nice price tag too. The 4WD system on the Grizz is different from the Polaris too, if that matters to you. The Grizz hass 2WD, 4WD limited, and 4WD true, selectable.
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

Ende up getting a better price on the 550 Grizzly with EPS. Not quite as good as the Polaris but after riding both again and researching the Polaris more we went with Yamaha. Polaris seems to require more maintanence going by the manual.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Wise choice;that 550 Grizz would be the perfect machine and probably my next one.I have a 450 Rhino,my son has a 660 Griz and I traded my 660 Griz for the Rhino.We also have a 450 Griz in the family,all have been great machines.
    I only traded mine because I needed a side/side for my business.All of our current machines are at 3,000 miles or more.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    Wise choice;that 550 Grizz would be the perfect machine and probably my next one.I have a 450 Rhino,my son has a 660 Griz and I traded my 660 Griz for the Rhino.We also have a 450 Griz in the family,all have been great machines.
    I only traded mine because I needed a side/side for my business.All of our current machines are at 3,000 miles or more.
    WE used a 1995 Yamaha Moto 4 up until now, hope this new ones serves us well. Wish i knew how many miles was on the 95. Saved us a ton of walking.