Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres?

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #1  

BradGad

Hi Folks,

I got some helpful advice here on a tractor for a property we didn't end up buying... so, no tractor!

The place we did end up getting is six wooded acres up on a ridge top, at the end of half a mile of gravel road that needs a good deal of maintenance. The ridge is in a bend of the Chestatee river; there's a road down to the river, but it's darned steep... I'd guess 35 degrees in places. The property itself has some relatively level areas (my five-year-old calls them "flateaus" ... great word, I think), but most of it is pretty hilly. We want to clear some of the land for gardens, fruit trees, and a bee pasture, and we want to take out most of the smaller undergrowth trees throughout.

We may end up acquiring one or perhaps both of two adjacent five-acre plots... so, it's six to sixteen acres.

I'm thinking a UTV would be very handy here.

I'm not interested in going fast. I'm not interested in any kind of radical off-roading, but would want to be able to manuever through the woods. This is in the North Georgia mountains, so cold and snow aren't big factors.

We'll probably be purchasing around March, give or take a month, so I have time to stalk deals and such.

We'd like to be able to:

1) Maintain the road... perhaps with something like this: http://www.abiattachments.com/products/innovation/gravel_rascal.html

2) Drag downed timber to the road or pavillion for cutting and splitting

3) Pull whatever stumps we can

4) Shuttle firewood from the pavillion to the house (house has a wood stove)

5) Haul and dump mulch, etc. (wife is a big-time organic gardener)

6) Toodle down to the river with our fly fishing gear in the back

7) Whatever

I have an idea about what I want (based in large measure from cruising this forum), but would rather ask for suggestions without putting my thumb on the scale.

So... any suggestions? Is a UTV the right tool for the job? If so, which one? And, what kind of tires, and what accessories or implements?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
   / Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #2  
One of the most trouble free is the Yamaha Rhino. Here is a picture of mine. It should do what you need with very little trouble.

Attachments

• IMG_0292 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0292 (Small).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    870.3 KB · Views: 324
   / Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #3  
An RTV 900 or 1100 would work well too.

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #4  
Your uses are just what my wife wanted and uses the Gator HPX for. We have a hilly and, in areas at the bottom, swampy 5 acres here in Connecticut.

Just a caution- when it comes to pulling stumps or dragging timber, you will be very size limited- go easy and take what you can get. When Snowtober hit our area, i did use the gator to pull down a bunch of large limbs that were on the ground but still had their butt ends up on other limbs. It was easier than getting the tractor out specifically for that purpose, but the UTV doesn't have the pulling or lifting power of a tractor.

Accessories you should plan on:
Power lift dump bed
Canopy to keep sun/rain off your head.

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #5  
We have a Ranger and use it like what you want to do. That said, look at as many different makes and models as you can find. Pick one that you and SHMBO like. 4X4 is necessary a cab, winch, windshield, wipers, and rear glass are nice. Have fun and stay safe....

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres?
>An RTV 900 or 1100 would work well too.

timswi, do you think an RTV 500 would be too small?

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #7  
>An RTV 900 or 1100 would work well too.

timswi, do you think an RTV 500 would be too small?

For some of the things you were listing, it might be. If you work with it you'd probably be fine...

The 500 is a very good worker although the diesels have a weight & power advantage....I was very happy with my 500 and I'm also pleased with the 1100

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #8  
I really like the new gator XUVs. To me they're the most versatile UTV as they work like any gator you've seen on a farm but the gas model goes something like 44MPH. You can have fun and do some serious work with this machine where others I see are more one or the other. The Kubota RTV's can only go 25MPH. Is speed everything, no, but when your out to have fun there's a big difference between 44 and 25MPH.

The RTV 1100 can have about 100lb more in the bed while the XUV 825i can tow about 200lb more. Also using the build your own features the XUV 825i starts out at $11399 and the RTV1100 starts at $19940 - even an RTV900XT starts at $15570 and your not getting even close to as much machine. The 900 is ~20HP where the 825i is 50HP.

Going to something like a Polaris, they are more for fun, they don't have the "workhorse" in them that you want.

For me the obvious choice is a JD XUV 825i. You get the best of both worlds for the a lot better price than the Bota's, you get a lot more for a lot less. If your going with a cab as well JD's offer the best visibility though Bota's are a little more luxurious. But you can get everything in the Bota on the Deere. And UTV's are the only thing Deere beats Kubota on price.

Check this thing out:
JohnDeere 825i Crossover Utility Vehicle Gator Utility Vehicles JohnDeere.com

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres? #9  
I'm in a somewhat similar situation Bradgad. Currently I own a Yamaha Rhino which I like very much. It has held up very well but I need something more work oriented with more than two seats. I've been looking at the Polaris 6x6 and the Kawasaki diesel trans mule. I'm leaning towards the mule because I think it will be more versatile. It's diesel engine and large bed (in two person mode) should be useful for working, while the four seat configuration will be great for cruising the property with the family.
Another factor in my decision making is the Mule's reputation for reliability. I hear mixed reviews about Polaris but almost all positive reviews on the Mule. The Mule is slow and has primitive suspension compared to most other UTV's but I'm not bothered by that. I've got a dirt bike if I want to go fast and have fun. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

/ Suggestions for 6 - 16 Hilly Wooded Acres?
>For me the obvious choice is a JD XUV 825i.

Hmm... that thing gets some pretty glowing reviews! JD hadn't really been on my radar, so thanks for pointing this out.