how many miles is too many?

/ how many miles is too many? #1  

tornadowatchranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat 335 for the fun stuff JD gt235 for the lawn
I have been offered a well cared for suzuki 700 with efi and 5,000 miles. I know the seller and he takes care of his stuff. The miles worry me. Am I being to cautious? Starts and runs like a top.

/ how many miles is too many? #2  
My research showed that the Suzuki Quad 700 was made in 2006 and 2007. That would be around 1,000 miles or more yearly. There would surely be a large amount of wear and tear on the suspension during that time. And it is doubtful that the quad was driven only on well made trails. Food for thought? The final decision will be yours. Perhaps you may know someone that owns one with comparable mileage? Good Luck.:)

/ how many miles is too many? #3  
In my opinion it would all depend on price and what you expect of the machine. Sure it may need a few things here and there but if you can get it right I'd say go for it.
My 06 Honda Rancher has at least that many miles on it. I just had the top end rebuild and it runs as good as new. It probably wouldn't have needed that except I ran it a lot at high RPM in low gear to achieve a good speed spraying weeds (no low range) and slacked on oil changes and air filters.

/ how many miles is too many? #4  
I used my kawasaki bayou (non efi) has about 5000 miles on it and runs great. Its only a 220 cc.

Im sure the efi would last longer. Any idea how the suzuki was used? Trail riding, work, etc.

/ how many miles is too many?
It was trail riding. He wants 3k. I will have to think about it. he said I can take a month or two to think if I want. He is only selling as he bought a razr.

Thanks for the thoughts.

/ how many miles is too many? #6  
$3K sounds a good bit high to me.

/ how many miles is too many? #7  
Like the other posters stated, it is all in how and where it was ridden. At work we have 2 2005 Suzuki Eiger 4x4's and they now each have 5-6K miles on them respectively. But 95% of that riding was done on hard pavement. Both are now on there 3rd set of tires due to being on pavement and not dirt or grass and they receive a thorough maintenance each year. We cannot kill them.

/ how many miles is too many? #8  
Gauntlet said:
Like the other posters stated, it is all in how and where it was ridden. At work we have 2 2005 Suzuki Eiger 4x4's and they now each have 5-6K miles on them respectively. But 95% of that riding was done on hard pavement. Both are now on there 3rd set of tires due to being on pavement and not dirt or grass and they receive a thorough maintenance each year. We cannot kill them.

Are they autos? Interesting that the differential holds up that long being run on pavement. Also, I would expect to go thru more that 3 tires in 5000 miles on pavement.

How are these used? Strait runs? High or low speed?

/ how many miles is too many? #9  
tornadowatchranch said:
I have been offered a well cared for suzuki 700 with efi and 5,000 miles. I know the seller and he takes care of his stuff. The miles worry me. Am I being to cautious? Starts and runs like a top.

To much in 5000 miles lots could happened and lots can break. I have 2friends that bought machines with 2000miles they ran great and before you knew it one blew his engine and the other on the clutch had to be re built. Watch what you buy don't want to buy something that is a money pit

/ how many miles is too many? #10  
I just bought a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 for $3500. 112 hours and 1400 miles. Needed around $300 in repairs to make me happy.

i think the price is too high but as for mileage I was told it is about hours, not miles.

I would do the following. Get a sense of the owner, check the general maintenance (Does it have rust, how dirty, you will get an idea of what the owner is about). I would also do a compression test along with a ride along. The compression test will be the most telling.

Carl