New side x side for work and play

/ New side x side for work and play #31  
I know what you mean about the Can Am,sweet machine.I don't have a dealer within 80 miles.For me tho I don't need 71hp or 70-80 mph.I would bet my average speed(for 3200 miles of use) is about 10 mph.
On another note;happened to go by the Yamaha dealer;saw six new machines on the lot and thought they were Rhinos.Wrong, China clones,don't know how that is going to pan out with Yamaha.........

/ New side x side for work and play #32  
About two years after buying a new 2007 Honda Rancher 420, I mentioned to my wife as we passed the Yamaha dealer one day, that I wished I had waited and saved some more money and bought a side by side instead. I really didn't have any idea that an ATV would be so useful around the farm. I could see the great advantage the side x side over an ATV, as well. My wife must have had a mental lapse, because she said , "Well you could trade it couldn't you?"

In my mind I shouted to myself and and said "YES". I just couldn't see shelling out 12-14 thousand for a new one. I began my search, and in a few weeks, found a nice 2008 Yamaha Rhino 700 on Craigs list with 200 miles on it.

I wanted something useful, with decent load capacity and decent towing capacity. I also wanted something with enough zip that I could still ride with my friends ATVs.

I wanted a work machine, and I wanted a sport/trail machine. The used Rhino was in great shape and a very fair price. I bought it and sold the Rancher.

My parents live 1/2 mile down the road from me, and I wanted something with a good enough top speed to zip me down to their house quickly. I bough a clutch kit that actually increased the low end torque and increased the top speed to about 52 mph.

For my uses the Rhino is a good compromise between work and play. The bed is large enough for a good sized load. Firewood, sprayer, shooting targets, etc. The off road ability in mud is amazing. Creek bottoms, ditches, muddy fields, whatever, are no problem.

The biggest fault I find with it, is the rear tires will really scuff up the grass in the yard. If there was only a way to unlock the rear axle, it would be perfect. After having it for a couple of years, it has been bullet proof, with no problems.

Yeah, the Can Am Commander would be much faster for a sporty side x side, and maybe the Kawasaki mule wouldn't tear up my grass. But the Rhino is a perfect mix of work and play for me.

After last falls trip to the Uwharrie mountain trails in NC, and seeing what the Rhino will do, I was flabergasted.

( You know?, that Kawasaki Terx with two row seating would allow me, my wife, and our two adult children, to all ride in the mountains in the same vehicle )

If you have read this far, here's my two cents worth. There is no perfect side x side. Spend a lot of time deciding what kind of work or play really expect to get from it, and make the best choice you can.

/ New side x side for work and play #33  
Just a quick update,I am still looking for the side x side that is the perfect fit for me. I kinda wish I hadn't gone to look at the Can-am Commander, I can't quit thinking about that thing.......Expensive...u betcha, practical.....not really, wicked cool....absolutely !!!
I have been back to the three dealers to refresh my opinions of the 4 models that I have narrowed my choice down to. The ranger xp 800 ,the ranger 500, Kawasaki teryx sport(green) and my personal favorite the Can-Am xt 800 commander.
Craig

Ranger XP800 a set of 28in tires(mudlites or something like), 3500lbs winch brush guard,top,front window ,and a 2in.lift :D
And still be under the Commander......

/ New side x side for work and play #34  
I have 2010 Ranger 800XP and use it for work and play. More work than play actually and really like it. Three loads of wood in the bed of the Ranger will fill up my 2500HD. It will go in 12" of snow easily, and has enough speed to get on down the road when you need to. I was a little reluctant to purchase a Polaris based on all the comments I had heard, but can honestly say I do not regret my purchase.

The Ranger has had some heat issues resulting in melted seats, but most come from the factory tuned way too lean. Dealer can retune to fix this.

The other negative thing with Rangers is they squeek, and rattle more than others. These can be fixed with a good stereo.

Changing the rear differential fluid can be tricky, unless you have the right tools.

I looked at Mules, Teryx, Rhino's and JD's before deciding on the Ranger.

There is also a new 4 seater RXR 900 available, if you need to take more than three people for a quick ride.

I was too tall for the Mule and the Teryx, the JD dealer was an ahole, so the Rhino would have been my 2nd choice.

I have heard the Kawasaki's do not have proper engine lubrication when using them on slopes, but have no actual knowledge of this. Might be worth checking out if you are serious about the Teryx though

Good Luck with your search

/ New side x side for work and play
Ok, so funny thing happened on the way to buying my new Ranger. My wife and I had some errands to run and drove in to town together.( we work different hours,generally each have our own vehicles all of the time) I had forgotten the pleasure of the sideseat driver....lol . So after the pleasant reminder of how much fun it is driving together ,I decided that the more prudent and enjoyable choice for me would be to purchase two ATV's .
So I ordered a new 500 sportsman (red) for me ,and will pick up a sportsman 400 for my wife in the spring.The other great thing about going this direction was that it left me enough cash difference between the price of the ranger xp800 that I was going to buy and the sportsman that I did buy, to purchase a 2009 Polaris shift 550 snowmobile with 400 miles. The only good thing about this truly crappy winter is that for anybody thinking about getting a snowmobile for next year there are some incredibly good deals out there.
Thank's to everyone that took the time to respond to this thread for there help......Craig