New side x side for work and play

/ New side x side for work and play #1  

Kioti guy

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 kioti ck 20S Hst,Case D
I have been looking at atv's and side x sides for a couple of months now, I think I have narrowed my choices down to three s x s's , the polaris ranger xp 800, the ranger 500 le or the Kawasaki teryx 750 se. I will be using this machine probably 50% for working on my property and 50% for trail riding.
I would love to hear some reviews good or bad about peoples experiances with any of these machines. I have tryed out the teryx and liked the ride and the layout of the machine but I havent. Een able to try either of the polaris's.............Craig

/ New side x side for work and play #2  
I have a 2008 Ranger 700 with efi. Added the winch (fits front and rear 2" common hitch. I use it only for work, (pulling firewood trailer, snowplowing, sugar bush ops), It is very strong but I have had some serious problems. The front gear box needed replacement, Polaris tires (made by Carlisle) are not as durable as they need to be for work, speedo, carb sensor, parking brake. It does very well, good traction and pulls very well, rated for 1000 lbs in box, pulls 2000lbs. Work box has flat deck, (no wheel humps) which may not bother most if you do not use pallets. Not sure how it would compare with other models, many new makes out there these days. Good luck.

/ New side x side for work and play #3  
Kioti Man,

I'm venturing away from your three top picks just to think out of the box. I have the 2011 Kubota RTV 900 xt, but if you plan to play 50% of the time I don't recommend it. I'm one that dislikes the CVT drive. With that said only the Kubota and Honda offer a non-CVT drive. Honda is like most having a great deal of plastic.

If I were buying a CVT drive unit, the John Deere 825i would be the selection. Good machine! Down south the John Deere dealers are normally great. I have five John Deere tractor and other implements. If I break or wear out a JD part, the JD dealer will have it tomorrow if they don't have it on the shelves today. That speaks volumes to me.

If you want to fly on wheels, seek out the CanAm 1000. They have different ignition keys that set the max speed limit from 25 mph up to 100 mph. Sounds like a death trap to me.

Good luck.

/ New side x side for work and play #4  
If I was picking from those three, the Ranger XP would be mine. Since it's in your name, don't forget Kioti just came out with a new pretty slick side by side of their own. Geared a little more towards work, but worth a look if you'd like to stay with your orange:thumbsup:

/ New side x side for work and play
Thank's for the reply's guys,I used to race Polaris snowmobiles so I am very comfortable with cvt clutches and I have a good relationship with a couple of Polaris dealers.
As far as the mechron( Kioti) goes it looks like a great unit for all work but I think I would find it a little too "utilitarian" for trail riding.
Thanks again for the reply's and keep them coming......Craig

/ New side x side for work and play #6  
Since I have no experience with the models you mention, I'm going to suggest some others.

If you want a trail UTV and a work UTV, my bias for JD aside, I think the Gator 825i is one of the best. 50HP automotive style engine, 44 MPH and the largest cargo capacity of any UTV. Worth a look if nothing else.

Good luck on your search!

/ New side x side for work and play
Thank's Martian, I'll take a look ,the dealer that I'm going to on Tuesday is a Deere dealer as well as Polaris, ...Craig

/ New side x side for work and play #8  
With a bike like that,im going to say your gonna like the more performance type side x sides Ranger800,Prowler1000,Teryx750

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-s-Tcs76nw&feature=player_detailpage]ATV Magazine's 2011 Ultimate UTV Shootout - YouTube[/ame]

/ New side x side for work and play #9  
Thank's Martian, I'll take a look ,the dealer that I'm going to on Tuesday is a Deere dealer as well as Polaris, ...Craig

I really don't think you can go wrong. All have great options.

Good luck.

/ New side x side for work and play #10  
Given your 50/50 usage mix, I'd recommend the Teryx unless you REALLY must have the additional payload of the Ranger XP. Several factors that would lead me to that recommendation:

1. The Teryx has much higher build quality, overall. Check fit and finish, quality of fasteners, size/strength of frame and suspension members, etc.

2. The Teryx bucket seats are MUCH better for trail riding unless you need the "3-wide" seating of the Ranger bench. You simply slide around too much on that bench, requiring the seat belt to hold you in position, when riding for a long period. After a while, that seat belt gets uncomfortable...

3. IMO, the Kawi is a much more reliable machine... based upon my time around Polaris products. Perhaps the Ranger is more reliable than the RZR, but overall I'm not impressed by their reliability. Their performance, yes - their reliability, no...

This coming from a Rhino 450 owner... who also has about a 50/50 mix. The smaller Ranger would only get my nod if money were a primary decision factor... With the Yamaha's at least, the different gearing of the 450 gave it similar low speed performance of the bigger-engined machine. I don't think that's quite as true for the small Ranger...