Kubota RTV400ci

/ Kubota RTV400ci #11  
If you're going to plow and haul, I'd would certainly go 4x4...Don't know much about the 400 but I had an RTV500 and it was a nice machine..Not fast, but nice and a great worker..Quiet and EFI..Started in any weather...It plowed snow better than I would have ever thought it would (a 3ft surprise storm) and hauls and pulls nearly anything in low range..All shaft driven, no belts...Easy DIY maintenance too.

Mine fit perfectly in my 5x10 utility trailer with length to spare..Width was dead on.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #12  
timswi:

there are so many considerations to be made, obviously the hydrostatic drive is the main difference from the 400 and the other Kubota units. as far as the 4wd goes, that's part of the reason I'll have two sets of wheels. my experience with cars/trucks on the road in CO is that tires make WAY more difference than does the drivetrain. you are correct however, there may be a few days a year that I struggle a bit more with 2wd than I otherwise would.

the dealer has a bunch of the 400's in stock but they are on a factory recall hold for a throttle pedal limit switch modification. once they have this minor issue fixed, they will be available for tire kicking. sounds like they will be retailed for about $8,000. I am not sure if the full line of attachments will be availble either, as the duty rating is a bit lower. I asked the dealer who made the motor, and he wasnt sure but is finding that out. anyone here know off hand?

Dave.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #14  
thanks, I have never owned a commercial grade Subaru motor, or even boxer styled automotive for that matter. I'll need to do some research on that.

Dave.

/ Kubota RTV400ci
For everything but plowing snow, since you seem to like the golf cart type vehicle (Yamaha you mentioned), why not pick up a used gas or electric golf cart? They would be fine for yard use and would do everything you mentioned other than plow snow. Most golf courses seem to flip them every 3 years or so.

You also would be better off starting a new thread instead of adding it onto the RTV400 thread. You wil get more folks responding and viewing your questions.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #16  
amigauser,

I agree with your recommendation; i am on the light end of the UTV market and the heavy end of the golf cart market. there are not many, high quality, used, late models of either(mules, adventurer's)- obviously none of the 400ci's.

I am a particular buyer and I'll find it, there is more than just one unit that will fit my bill, I am just trying to narrow the list such that when I see one it's well researched, etc. and I can act swiftly.

I am anxious to see the local stock of the 400ci's in the next few weeks.

Oh, by the way....I need a ZTR mower too....this rural stuff is fun!

Dave-almost retired.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #17  
the RTV400 has its place... but for someone used to the RTV series and their HST's... it just has no 'soul'. Its lacks the same "I am am an HST and drag around virtually anything" sense that the others have. For me... a bit too much golf cart and not enough tractor. The price point is nice, and an important one to hit.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #18  
the RTV400 has its place... but for someone used to the RTV series and their HST's... it just has no 'soul'. Its lacks the same "I am am an HST and drag around virtually anything" sense that the others have. For me... a bit too much golf cart and not enough tractor. The price point is nice, and an important one to hit.

I was kind of afraid that's what they'd do...Good grief, God know they have the engineering capacity..Why can't they make a sport version of the 500?...I just don't get it..Maybe a market they don't want to play in.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #19  
hey folks,

thanks for all the input. beyond the technical nature of forums like this is that they can be a great sounding board to talk to yourself and others. I have made a decision and promise to post pics of the actual unit, but here is what it will look like:
295_Terrain2501.jpg

just a hair over $6,000 out the door, bullet proof Kawasaki air cooled single, 13.5 hp, 401cc motor. if I could change one thing it would be fuel injection like the Kubota 400ci. However, it will be parked in a heated shop so it should prove minimally troublesome. Yamaha has fuel injection this year at a bit of a premium and my guess would be in a few years they all will be. Synchronizing a single cylinder carb isnt that hard :)

one feature of these that I really, really like is the pedal start. so many trips around your property are just that: run out somewhere in the 4 acres or back to the shop and grab something or perform a quick task, boom- back in the seat and press the pedal and go. I think I mentioned, there will be almost zero recreational use for this unit, just puttering around some flat acreage. it comes with front/rear 2" receiver and will have a winch and plow blade (extra).

I don't have any budget constraints either, this is what I really think will suit me the best. my daily driver is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma pick-up. Base model, standard cab, 2wd, 4 cylinder, 5-speed. I own 6 of these and many of you would not believe the daily abuse these things take and what they can haul, several of my units are over 200,000 miles. we maintain them very well and they just get the job done, period. for 355 days a year, they do it just fine. for the other 10 days- we figure out another way if it absolutely has to be done then and there. having a quality tire is so very important, give me great tires on a 2wd than crap tires on a 4wd. same way with this E-Z-GO cart I am looking at. For reference, I paid $12,800 out the door new from a Toyota dealer in 2008 and I should have it for another 15 years.

Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV400ci #20  
hey folks,

thanks for all the input. beyond the technical nature of forums like this is that they can be a great sounding board to talk to yourself and others. I have made a decision and promise to post pics of the actual unit, but here is what it will look like:
295_Terrain2501.jpg

just a hair over $6,000 out the door, bullet proof Kawasaki air cooled single, 13.5 hp, 401cc motor. if I could change one thing it would be fuel injection like the Kubota 400ci. However, it will be parked in a heated shop so it should prove minimally troublesome. Yamaha has fuel injection this year at a bit of a premium and my guess would be in a few years they all will be. Synchronizing a single cylinder carb isnt that hard :)

one feature of these that I really, really like is the pedal start. so many trips around your property are just that: run out somewhere in the 4 acres or back to the shop and grab something or perform a quick task, boom- back in the seat and press the pedal and go. I think I mentioned, there will be almost zero recreational use for this unit, just puttering around some flat acreage. it comes with front/rear 2" receiver and will have a winch and plow blade (extra).

I don't have any budget constraints either, this is what I really think will suit me the best. my daily driver is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma pick-up. Base model, standard cab, 2wd, 4 cylinder, 5-speed. I own 6 of these and many of you would not believe the daily abuse these things take and what they can haul, several of my units are over 200,000 miles. we maintain them very well and they just get the job done, period. for 355 days a year, they do it just fine. for the other 10 days- we figure out another way if it absolutely has to be done then and there. having a quality tire is so very important, give me great tires on a 2wd than crap tires on a 4wd. same way with this E-Z-GO cart I am looking at. For reference, I paid $12,800 out the door new from a Toyota dealer in 2008 and I should have it for another 15 years.

Congrats on the new machine...You didn't mention what it is exactly.