Kubota RTV400ci

/ Kubota RTV400ci #21  
I think it's even made in the US, with the motor obviously from abroad.
large dealer network and virtually no specialty parts. fits in the bed of most pickup trucks, not sure about my little Toyota though- should be close. my utility trailer will be back up.

2012 E-Z-GO Terrain 250

Welded steel frame with DuraShield powder coat
Front Body & Finish Injection-molded TPO
Rear Body & Finish Steel. Base coat/clear coat
Standard Color Black

Dimensions
Overall Length 106.5 in (271 cm)
Overall Width 48.5 in (123 cm)
Wheel Base 65.5 in (166 cm)
Front Wheel Track 37.0 in (94 cm)
Rear Wheel Track 38.0 in (97 cm)
Ground Clearance at Differential 4.3 in (15 cm)
Cargo Box Width (inside) 44.5 in (113 cm)
Cargo Box Length (inside) 30.5 in (77 cm)
Cargo Box Depth (inside) 7.5 in (19 cm)
Cargo Box Capacity 5.9 cu ft (1.17 m3)

Vehicle Power
Power Source 4 Cycle 24.5 cu in (401 cc)
Valve Train Single cylinder OHV
Horsepower (kW) 13.5 hp (10 kW) Exceeds SAE J1940 Std.
Electric System Starter/generator, solid state regulator
Batteries (qty/type) One 12-volt, maintenance free
Key or Pedal Start Pedal
Air Cleaner Replaceable dry cartridge
Lubrication Pressurized oil system
Oil Filter Spin-on
Cooling System Air-cooled
Fuel Capacity 5.8 gallon (22.0 L) tank
Drive Train Continuously variable transmission (CVT)
Transaxle Differential with helical gears
Gear Selection Forward-Reverse

Performance
Dry Weight 810 lb (360 kg)
Curb Weight 850 lb (385 kg)
Bed Load Capacity 400 lb (180 kg)
Outside Clearance Circle 18.9 ft (5.8 m)
Forward Ground Speed 17.0 mph ア 0.5 mph (27.4 kph ア 0.8 kph)
Reverse Ground Speed 12.3 mph ア 0.5 mph (19.8 kph ア 0.8 kph)
Towing Capacity 400 lb (180 kg)

Steering & Suspension
Steering Self-compensating rack and pinion
Front Suspension Leaf springs with hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear Suspension Leaf springs with hydraulic shock absorbers
Service Brake Rear wheel mechanical self-adjusting drum
Parking Brake Self-compensating, single-point engagement
Front Tires Trail Wolf 20 x 11 - 10 (4 Ply Rated) Uni-directional
Rear Tires Trail Wolf 20 x 11 - 10 (4 Ply Rated) Uni-directional

/ Kubota RTV400ci #22  
I have one on order, to be delivered next week. I drove the full zoot 1100 with cab/air etc and thought, ok, I'm only going to do this once, get the good one.
And sorry, but I didn't like the hydro feel. Felt like I was driving a Komatsu, not a Kubota. And I'm joking, I've never driven one, but very jerky whiny hydro action that snapped my head forward when I took off the gas.

Yes, the 400 is a different animal. It's much smaller and agile. I bought it because I need it more for transport than heavy work. I have some HD garden tractors that will pull a heavy cart, and a tractor, so I'm not going to be pulling a food plot processor behind this thing. And yes, it was LOUD at idle, vibrated, seemed to stumble a little at low revs until the CVT grabbed, then was smooth. I think the idle was set a little too low, though I'm sure the engage point of the trans determines that.

What bothers me is I've Googled 16hp EFI subaru until I'm blue in the face and it doesn't seem to exist except in this vehicle. Not on Subaru's web page as a lineup motor either. Must be very special for Kubota, which worries me, didn't know I was being guinea-pigged here, but I trust Subaru Robin, everything I've heard is good. But Kohler had some EFI problems in the beginning so I hope Kubota/Robin have them sorted out.

The seats are hard, and why didn't they continue the backrest all the way down so there's some better back support? Why leave a big hole there? I'll put a cushion there and all will be well.

Mine was basically a stripper, rear view mirror, roof and a bed mat.
What I liked was that all the options could be purchased later, and perhaps for a lot less aftermarket, like power dump kits or whatever. And I think the idea of more rubber mounting makes sense, and despite the large muffler on the thing, I wonder if there's a way to quiet it a bit also. Usually not a good idea to add backpressure, though with EFI it should adjust somewhat.

Going to be a surprise for my wife. Will have a big red bow on it, even if it clashes with the orange.... My first new Kubota.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #23  
what list on 400?
what get for?

/ Kubota RTV400ci #24  
hmmm, I did too good a job burying the receipt so I could surprise my wife, and I can't find it, probably in a jacket pocket, but memory is around 8200 list, discounted down in to sevens, back up to around 8 with a roof, mirror and bed mat. When i find the slip I will update.
I bought from a local dealer I wanted to do business with, and price was not my top priority. Why is it when I, or perhaps you..., go to a dealer, the one we want is "oh, that one doesn't have the margin of others so I can't discount as much". Well of course an 8k UTV can't be discounted like the 20K one can be, and I bought the stripper, so there likely wasn't a huge markup. But my grandfather did business with this store sixty plus years ago and I like keeping up the relationship. They are very responsive.
Two things I'm going to install soon. First is a brush/grill guard up front, to keep the woods saplings off, and second is more lighting up front. I installed one of Northern Light's new LED lights on my Gravely, and boy did it pump out some serious light. Two on the Kubota should do just fine, and only about half an amp per light.

Attachments

• P1000176.jpg
    P1000176.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV400ci #25  
what list on 400?
what get for?
I threw out my quote since I bought a different unit :). But I recall the list being around $7,000 and out then tax on top of that brought it near $8,000. The place I went to wasn't willing to discount one cent saying it was the only unit they had and they sell a lot of Kubotas. I suspect if I was ready to buy it I could get them down a bit but this dealer was not hungry at all.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #26  
when get 500 list $9000 big dealer
got looking around got new $7500
with roof bush gard and atv tires
no tax farm

/ Kubota RTV400ci #27  
But I recall the list being around $7,000

While I was not using a sharp pencil here, I do remember the list as being high 8100's which was right where I found the JD Gator positioned, at least list price wise. I have sat in the new JD UTV's and think their seat is more comfortable, more of a bucket seat, which I would have preferred more than a bench seat, for lower back support, though the center would sure fit a small dog. Nah, the dog would be in the bed slobbering on your neck as he should.

The engineering on this model is very impressive, as I'm sure it is with all of them. Very much automotive grade, and I particularly liked that one can access/lube the various primary linkages very easily. Though it would have been nice if they had put a little storage box "under the hood."

I have a childhood friend who owns Lancaster Honda and carries the Big Red UTV. Probably same level of precision engineering, but I was pretty sure the Kubota was built tougher, and would have the benefit of trickle down engineering from the 900 and 1100 models. So I feel badly about not buying a Honda from a friend, but I'll try to make it up here...if you live in central PA or anywhere near there, and need a Honda motorcycle or other Honda product, Dave and Diane Moore are simply the nicest people, have been doing this a long time, and have a super reputation. There, a shameless plug for an old friend. I bought a Honda Foreman from these folks in 1988 and it still runs perfectly.

My 400 is due next Tuesday. The one I drove had been sold that morning.
Two in one day seemed to please the dealer.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #28  
You may be right on the price as my memory is not what it used to be :).

I think the 400 will be a popular unit. For a Kubota brand, it is priced very low and the performance quite good once on the run.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #29  
Daugen,

Please continue to post your experiences with your new 400. I have been shopping for a UTV for quite a while, and I'd like to get your impressions as you get to use your unit.
Thanks,
Will

/ Kubota RTV400ci #30  
Since one of the places this little UTV will go is up to a mountain cabin above Pine Brook/Margaretville NY in the Catskill, at least a mile up an unpaved road to the cabin, and then, what I've never been able to walk, is another mile or two up to an old abandoned fire tower. Always wanted to make it to the top, and packing my Garmin, will make sure I make it back too...
So when I come to play in your fine state, I'll let you know how it takes to NY rocks...

It's kind of strange having this big manual lever to engage the rear locking diff, and then another equally large lever to engage 4wd. Which do I go for first?
I'm assuming 4wd, which will get me two powered wheels, and then if that doesn't work, lock up the rear which will get me three powered wheels. Not full time awd but maybe more efficient, liking keeping your truck totally out of 4wd/awd if you don't need it. I'm going to be on grassy fields mostly but some woods exploration, so my thought is when I go further afield and on slopes to put it in 4wd, and only use the locking diff to get out of trouble.

So when I put it through its paces next week, I'll give some impressions.