Kubota RTV400ci

/ Kubota RTV400ci #3  
Yes I have. Looks like the 500.

I want to know how it performs!!!

/ Kubota RTV400ci #4  
Had a couple at Louisville show, too tight a fit for me.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #5  
The dealer out here has one, looks about the size of the RTV 500 but is quicker as it is a belt drive CVT. Will be sticking with the RTV-1100 with cab and hydraulic dump. It earns its keep around here doing the grunt work.

David Kb7uns

/ Kubota RTV400ci #8  
I test drove the 400 followed by the 500 today.

I must say, the 400 is very nice. Responsiveness is great. Steering light and accurate. And the machine a joy to toss around.

All is not perfect though. They went to a one cylinder engine and this thing resonates and vibrates rather poorly at low RPMs. The entire front dash rattles as a result with when combined with the light spring loaded transmission handles means fair bit of racket up front. Putting some rubber gaskets around the handles should quiet down half of the rattles. But something deep insider of the dash still made noise as I held all the handles to keep them from vibrating.

The transmission shift points were very easy to get into normally (much better than other side by sides i have tested). But once or twice I could not shift it without revving the engine a bit, letting it idle, and then shifting -- much like my Kubota BX.

I then drove the 500. The vibration was essentially gone. Unfortunately it was replaced with worse steering that required more effort and harder to navigate, more lethargic acceleration and what seemed to be a stiffer suspension. I found the seats hard on both the 400 and 500 but on the 500 it was especially noticeable as I was tossed around on even small potholes in the parking lot. Engine breaking was better than the 400 and I was pleased to see it not have any of the difficult to control characteristics of my tractor. It simply let the machine coast to idle. As with the 400, I could not shift once without having to do the trick of rev'ing the engine and then idling.

Seems like Kubota has learned some lessons from the 500 that it has applied to the 400. Alas, in order to go down in price they took some shortcuts with the engine. If they had not done that, the 400 would have been almost perfect.

I had just driven the 4010 mule and found it to be so much more comfortable to drive, with power steering and more complaint suspension. Its two cylinder engine is more responsive and quieter than the 400ci. That is my current choice as I keep testing these things :).

If you are in the market for an orange UTV to go with your Kubota, and can get past the vibration and noise at low speed, I think the 400 makes an excellent choice.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #9  
I test drove the 400 followed by the 500 today.

I must say, the 400 is very nice. Responsiveness is great. Steering light and accurate. And the machine a joy to toss around.

All is not perfect though. They went to a one cylinder engine and this thing resonates and vibrates rather poorly at low RPMs. The entire front dash rattles as a result with when combined with the light spring loaded transmission handles means fair bit of racket up front. Putting some rubber gaskets around the handles should quiet down half of the rattles. But something deep insider of the dash still made noise as I held all the handles to keep them from vibrating.

The transmission shift points were very easy to get into normally (much better than other side by sides i have tested). But once or twice I could not shift it without revving the engine a bit, letting it idle, and then shifting -- much like my Kubota BX.

I then drove the 500. The vibration was essentially gone. Unfortunately it was replaced with worse steering that required more effort and harder to navigate, more lethargic acceleration and what seemed to be a stiffer suspension. I found the seats hard on both the 400 and 500 but on the 500 it was especially noticeable as I was tossed around on even small potholes in the parking lot. Engine breaking was better than the 400 and I was pleased to see it not have any of the difficult to control characteristics of my tractor. It simply let the machine coast to idle. As with the 400, I could not shift once without having to do the trick of rev'ing the engine and then idling.

Seems like Kubota has learned some lessons from the 500 that it has applied to the 400. Alas, in order to go down in price they took some shortcuts with the engine. If they had not done that, the 400 would have been almost perfect.

I had just driven the 4010 mule and found it to be so much more comfortable to drive, with power steering and more complaint suspension. Its two cylinder engine is more responsive and quieter than the 400ci. That is my current choice as I keep testing these things :).

If you are in the market for an orange UTV to go with your Kubota, and can get past the vibration and noise at low speed, I think the 400 makes an excellent choice.

Thanks for the review...I was curious about the 400...There'll be some growing pains I'm sure..The 500 had a few as well.

/ Kubota RTV400ci #10  
like many things in life, retirement and a UTV purchase are slowly catching up to me. I had posted late last year about what I was looking for and have used that base as a good start for my research. this forum has been great as well- thank you.

what has changed for me is that we have purchased a new place and I can better define my needs/wants: just over 4 acres and flat (but wet), sea level with harsh winters. heated shop. I'll use the vehicle for yard work, general hauling, plowing snow, etc. my proclivities are definitely on the "keep it simple" side of the spectrum; reliable and easy to maintain but quality and willing to invest in it.

whether right or wrong, here is where i am:

carburation is fine, EFI is better
2 wheel drive is preferred, but wouldn't turn down 4wd on the right unit
ROPS would be nice for many reasons
air cooled is preferred
gas motor is a must
I can dump my own box
i'll have 2 sets of mounted wheels and tires; summer/winter
must fit in my 63" trailer

John Deere: a gator in the TS series. I have seen these, certainly simple and crude for sure. stamped and tack welded chassis. expensive paint scheme
Yamaha: adventurer II (don't laugh, i have hundred of hours on similar Yamaha products, just simply bullet proof. pricey however, relative to the product). if they were less expensive, you wouldn't be reading this, they're about $7,000 new.
Yamaha Golf-Car Company | Utility Vehicles- Adventurer Two
Kawasaki Mule: model 4000 or 600. maybe a nice balance
Kubota: 400ci. maybe a nice balance.

I have investigated others but haven't been compelled. Please comment on anything but my politics or my dog.