reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's?

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
A friend and I are both shopping for a Diesel Utility vehicle for general light farm work. How do people compare the mainstream diesel options in the new or gently used market? We both need something that is 4x4 due to loose soil and steep grades away from the house at my friends place and I would see some mud and deep snow occasionally.

Heavy hauling would include firewood, various cow feed options, and similar things. Some light trailer work and possibly some "home/hobby gardening" are likely as well with small farm implements.

Kubota is the easy choice but, I want to get away from my orange bias and make sure I pick the right vehicle for the right price. Also, would a used ~$6-7K Kubota RTV900 be a good option versus a more expensive new option? It would be nice to put the cost savings to use somewhere else but, what would I loose in a 2004-2008 used model versus a new 2011/2012 model? Any EPA or fuel concerns? What else should I consider in the new versus used diesel UTV market?

TIA,
Sid

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #2  
Sid Post,

With respect to Kubota and steep hills you will much better served with the RTV 900 XT. I've heard many times that the older RTV 900s struggle with hills. My 2011 RTV 900 XT is impressive with steep hills and will pull significant loads.

I cannot speak of other UTVs.

You will need to decide if the CVT UTVs will meet your needs. I for one did not want the CVT. Only Honda and Kubota offer non-CVT. The CVT does have an advantage over other transmissions in that the repairs would be less for the CVT, although, I've not heard of any issues with the Kubota HST.

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #3  
Check out the Kioti Mechron. It's new to the market and, IMHO, the best value out there for about $10,500 out the door. That'll save you several $1000s over the Kobota.:thumbsup:
My bet is that the price will increase with market penetration.

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's?
Check out the Kioti Mechron. It's new to the market and, IMHO, the best value out there for about $10,500 out the door. That'll save you several $1000s over the Kobota.:thumbsup:
My bet is that the price will increase with market penetration.

My friend has a Kioti tractor that is a real pain to service. Only two dealers in the state and both are ~150 miles away from us. Something simple like a hydraulic oil filter cannot be sourced from anyone but Kioti. I won't be making that mistake a second time.

I want to stay with an established brand that can be serviced on this side of the Atlantic/Pacific. John Deere, Kubota, Polaris, etc. all have dealer support from more then one source which is important to me in the long run.

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #5  
My friend has a Kioti tractor that is a real pain to service. Only two dealers in the state and both are ~150 miles away from us. Something simple like a hydraulic oil filter cannot be sourced from anyone but Kioti. I won't be making that mistake a second time.

I want to stay with an established brand that can be serviced on this side of the Atlantic/Pacific. John Deere, Kubota, Polaris, etc. all have dealer support from more then one source which is important to me in the long run.

I guess I'm fortunate to live so close to 2 Koiti dealers.
I have to say the Kubota dealer is closer but his reputation leaves much to be desired. Being the top dog has made him arrogant I think.
Deere just doesn't seem as substantial as the Kioti while the Polaris dealer tried to steer me to a Mule because "Polaris has a lot of problems"... go figure.
I'm happy to help "establish" a company that has been building tractors for 60 years.

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #6  
The RTVs are the best workhorse UTVs hands down. They do lack in the 'fun' department. If you want a crossover, the Deere XUVs are the best, if you want a workhorse, the Kubotas are the best. Some people fear the Deere belt tranny but I have had 3 Gators and thousands of hours between them without a broken belt. So I don't see anything wrong with them. My $.02 says to check out a RTV1100 with a cab.

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #7  
Have you looked at the Cub Cadet Volunteer. I have the 750 EFI but they also have a diesel model. My Volunteer is almost 3 years old and It's been solid. It will be a lot less then the Kubota or the Deere and if the diesel pulls like my EFI you will not be disappointed. I have a Kubota Tractor ( MX5100 ) but their UTV's don't impress me much especially for what they cost. The new John Deere's are nice but holy cow are they pricey. Again the Cub is a good value for the money. ( unless they have went up a bunch since I bought mine )
CJ

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #8  
One comment about the Deere. I drove the gas model (825i). In my opinion, power steering should be mandatory on it. Sitting still, you almost can't steer it. Not even in the same planet as Polaris with or without power steering. I have not driven the kubota but I believe it has power steering. Given that, if you are going the Deere direction, I would include the power steering in what you have to pay (assuming they are offering one).

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #9  
Once around the block in a Kubota 1100 and the shouting is all over. It is far superior to any other model I have checked. Pricey.... yes but you get what you pay for. Ever try to buy one used ? The line forms at the rear and the resale is next to the price of a demo.
If your happy with chineese clones or gator belts what satisfies you best is what you should buy. Mine will last a lifetime.... and I enjoy the heat and a/c.

/ reviews and pricing comparisons for current diesel UTV's? #10  
We have a very hilly place, and although our 2001 Gator diesel 6x4 is very tough and has had no mechanical issues at all, the CVT is a major shortcoming.

Hauling heavy loads downhill becomes a safety issue, and you are totally dependent on brakes if you let the CVT "freewheel" accidentally.

If the RTV900 had been available then, we would have bought it. If I replaced the Gator now, it would be with an RTV.