Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags

Default Best engine braking UTV

I was wondering in real life experiences what UTV has great downhill braking ability using the engine to slow the vehicle without using the brakes? I am in the market for a UTV and have pretty steep hills to contend with. Your opinions are appreciated. I was looking at Polaris, Yamaha, Husqvarna etc but really don't have real time use of how they would work on the hills. I presently have a Honda rubicon atv and the engine braking on it is fantastic and was hoping to find a UTV with the same quality.
    Kubota grand L 3130; 723 loader; Hinged back Box Scraper; 7' HD Back Blade; Tooth Bar; PHD w/ 9 & 12 Inch Auger; PEC; Carryall

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Default Re: Best engine braking UTV

Quote Originally Posted by johnk View Post
    I was wondering in real life experiences what UTV has great downhill braking ability using the engine to slow the vehicle without using the brakes? I am in the market for a UTV and have pretty steep hills to contend with. Your opinions are appreciated. I was looking at Polaris, Yamaha, Husqvarna etc but really don't have real time use of how they would work on the hills. I presently have a Honda rubicon atv and the engine braking on it is fantastic and was hoping to find a UTV with the same quality.
    Diesel kubota RTV's have fantastic engine braking...So much so that some don't like it...I do though.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota m5700

The kubota rtv is hands down the best on hills, my place is in the Mountains with steep hills and my RTV is 8 years old with no problems, I would have gone broke replacing the brakes on some of the others. I think the Kubota is more a tractor and the others are more a 4 wheeler. If you want to haul and pull and use as a tool Buy the kubota. if you want to ride and go fast buy one of the others. Just my opinion and I had a Kawasaki mule and a friend has a Rino, neither did well on my steep terain.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

We own three Yamahas,engine brakeing is the best in the business..

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota b3200: kubota b7800: kubota rtv900

just as said before me, the kubota rtv's hands down have the best engine/transmission braking ability. i use my rtv 900 on the steep hills of north central pa and i just about only use the brakes to stop and change gear ranges. the transmission braking ability is so strong that in low gear, i can completely let off the throttle and not touch the brake pedal, and when fully loaded with half a face cord of firewood in the back, on a 15 degree plus hill, and it will only creep. i could actually get off and walk back to it, it is that good at engine/transmission braking. i do not recommend you actually do that, but it does an excellent job at holding itself. i actually think it is more in the vht transmission then the engine. although i am sure they work hand and hand.

Tractor
    Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags

Has anyone tried both the Yamaha and the kubota and can give a comparison of 1 person who has ridden each on a steep hill for a comparison. Will the Yamaha keep it at 2 miles an hour or under on a 15% grade without hitting the brakes.. With my hills braking is the most important aspect of the RTV for me. Thanks.
    Kubota grand L 3130; 723 loader; Hinged back Box Scraper; 7' HD Back Blade; Tooth Bar; PHD w/ 9 & 12 Inch Auger; PEC; Carryall

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK 27 shuttle

as mentioned If you plan on using it for work I would go kubota. I feel that they do have way too much engine braking in my opinion but most of my use is on flat to slightly sloping ground. I think that it would be very nice on a steep hill however.

Tractor
    Kubota BX-24

My Polaris LSV (electric) has excellent engine breaking in Low mode and good in High. This was super important to me and was a major deciding factor to go there.

What's cool is that I can change modes per above and vary the amount of engine breaking with just a flip of a button even on the run! Quite cool that way .

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2002 New Holland TC40S

I have a Kawasaki 3010 two cylinder diesel Trans Mule and it just might be the worst in downhill engine braking due to the transmission cutting loose at low engine rpm so I have to constantly feather the throttle in order to maintain engine/transmission engagement. My question: Not even sure if this is feasible with the Mule transmission but is there an after market "jake brake" (compression release) kit made for UTVs?
    Let your tools do the work.

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Unless I am on a steep hill the kubota RTV1100 will come to a complete stop using only the hydro. Only use the foot brake for shifting between gears.
    My Polaris Ranger RZR S has very little and my CAN AM Outlander 800 has fairly good for a CVT driven quad.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast