Polaris sportsman atv's

/ Polaris sportsman atv's #1  

Kioti guy

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 kioti ck 20S Hst,Case D
After spending a few months shopping around and looking at Atv's and Utv's I finally made my decision and decided to get Polaris sportsmans. I started the process thinking I wanted a utv, but after driving a few and taking a look at my available trails I
decided that Atv's might be a better fit.
I have had my new Sportsman 500 for a month or so and so far I am very pleased. I haven't had the chance( or inclination) to do much work with it yet . But I have spent a lot of time exploring the trails around my property and have been very impressed with the ride and power.
I picked up a Sportsman 400 ho for my wife this week ,we have had it out a couple of times.For a reasonably priced value machine I am also very pleased with it.......Craig

Attachments

• image-3431285217.jpg
    image-3431285217.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 579
   / Polaris sportsman atv's #2  
Nice quads! I love the blue 400! How many miles on the 500? Seem like a well built quad?

Been mulling over and flip flopping between a Sportsman 400/500 or a Kodiac 450.

Last edited:
   / Polaris sportsman atv's #3  
After spending a few months shopping around and looking at Atv's and Utv's I finally made my decision and decided to get Polaris sportsmans. I started the process thinking I wanted a utv, but after driving a few and taking a look at my available trails I
decided that Atv's might be a better fit.
I have had my new Sportsman 500 for a month or so and so far I am very pleased. I haven't had the chance( or inclination) to do much work with it yet . But I have spent a lot of time exploring the trails around my property and have been very impressed with the ride and power.
I picked up a Sportsman 400 ho for my wife this week ,we have had it out a couple of times.For a reasonably priced value machine I am also very pleased with it.......Craig

very nice atv's! the "value line" Polaris came out with is a homerun in my opinion. they took a page from tractor manufacturer's books and saw a need for reasonably priced, yet still nice featured atv's. not everyone wants to spend $8,000-10,000 on an atv. I know I sure didn't the last time and decided to buy used. with that said I was looking VERY hard at the Sportsman 800. what a machine for under $8k!!! the 500 Sportsman is the best value for your money on the market today in my opinion. I've always owned Honda's but I can honestly say that I was looking hard at the Polaris 800, and no one, I mean NO ONE makes a better riding atv's then Polaris. you should really enjoy these. my only suggestion to you is to lock them up as best as you can when not in use. nothing more frustrating then having a brand new atv stolen by some fool.

/ Polaris sportsman atv's #4  
I bought a 2011 Sportsman 400HO last year. I have been pleased with it.

/ Polaris sportsman atv's
Thank's, I have only put about 50 miles and 14 hours on it so far ,but I am pleased with the initial build quality . I looked at several different Atv's when I was shopping and I noticed that most of the Japanese units that I looked at we're finished very well in comparison to the Polaris and Arctic cat's.
The thing that sold me on the sportsmans was the incredible value. The new 2012 500 is selling now for $800 dollars less than they they sold for in 1996 when they were first put out ......Craig

/ Polaris sportsman atv's #6  
Vrey nice machines! Hope you guys have a lots of fun on them. In o6 I bought the same, a 500 and a 450 ho. Only thing I dont like, the 500 is efi and starts better than the 450. Sportsman is the best riding quad Ive seen and have plenty of room, very comfortable. Other quads are smaller and will navigate tight areas better. And Im sure others will go thru extreme bogs better but I didnt get mine to mud bog in. Mine is like a caddy compared to the hondas I ride with and power to spare.:thumbsup:

/ Polaris sportsman atv's #7  
I have had my Polaris 500 since 2000 and it is bullet proof. The new ones are even better. The only complaint on mine is the starters are a known problem as far as them collecting water in the case and the linkage on the tranny, but I know the linkage issue was resolved long ago.

I also have a 2003 Honda Rincon which is a nicer riding machine but does not have the low gear ratio like the Polaris, and when you are using it as a utility vehicle this really helps. If I were to choose to have just one, I would choose my Polaris.

/ Polaris sportsman atv's #8  
I have 2 Blue Sportsman 600 quads. I have had many other brands and ridden several others belonging to friends. I have to say Polaris is the most comfortable to ride with the large soft seats and responsive suspension. Only thing I have encoutered with the machines that they may have already changed is the lack of true 4 wheel drive. Front wheels only lock in if it senses the rears slipping. Not something you want happening when ridding up the side of a steep hill at the Hatfield McCoy trails. Would like to have a differential lock option like some of my buddies Kawasaki's and Suzuki's. Also are a bit heavy but have been real happy with them.

/ Polaris sportsman atv's #9  
Just at the Polaris dealership this AM and am bringing my 2010 Ranger 800 in after lunch for a fluid change. I absolutely love the UTV but would also love a Sportsman 500 or 850...but not enough $$$$$ available...at least at this point.

I decided on the Ranger as I wanted dump bed and the three wide front seat is also great. I am glad I went with the Ranger...but that is for my purposes.

One negative is I am also trying to "rationalize" a CUT in the 30+ HP range...but the Ranger does part of the work I would get from a tractor and makes it a bit harder to "justify"...alas...just tooooo many toys out there!

Well...time to go back to the Polaris shop and drool again while the fluids are changed...that is dangerous place to spend time :)

Enjoy your new ATVs...BTW...I agree that the 500 Sportsman IS the best value ATV going right now. My dealer brings them in in large quantities...about 25 at a time. The seem to sell pretty quickly. I notice this AM they do not have any 850's on the floor at all...probably had a couple that sold.

Best...TMR

/ Polaris sportsman atv's
Just quick update on the two sportsmans., I am still really happy with my purchases, my wife and I went on a day long guided trail ride with an atv club in the next township over and had an absolute blast. I can't get over how capable these machines are ,two foot deep water, rocks, steep hills ,loose gravel all child's play for the sportsmans .
I am especially pleased with the power of the 400 (450) ,while the 500 has more power overall and sounds better when revved out, the 400 is clutched so well it's never more than a couple of lengths behind the 500. I can't wait to get some more miles on them, we are allready planning our next trip......Craig

Attachments

• image-1894661455.jpg
    image-1894661455.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 367