Just picked up an RTV 900

/ Just picked up an RTV 900 #1  

davygp38

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
I've been working my new RTV 900 pretty good the last few days, and I thought I would write a review based on the three hours I have put on it so far. I chose to go with the RTV 900, because it is a worker. I haul a lot of Fire Wood, and If I want to ride fast and furious, I'll stick to my quad.

Pro's: Right off the bat I noticed how much stronger the frame, and components Were compared to the Polaris Ranger, and the Kawasaki Mule. The Kubota Diesel Has seemed unstoppable so far. I had the entire dump bed loaded up as High as it would go with heavy clay, at the bottom of a small hill. I put it in medium, and it walked right up. The power steering is very nice. I like the big brush guard in the front, it seems stronger then the other brands. The engine brake is so strong, you don't even need the brake.

Con's: Little to no storage. The shifter is a little touchy, (no problem for me, but my wife has some trouble.) Higher cost of Maintenance. (UDT and Filter.)
I realize it is early yet, but overall I am happy with the machine, and there were no surprises. I new the Maintenance was going to be higher, and I new about the storage. I also would point out that the machine is heavier than other UTV's out there. This means using a trailer, or in my case a loading dock.

/ Just picked up an RTV 900 #2  
Congrats! I too just bought a 2011 900 with 36 hrs. on it. I share in your comments on what a strong unit this machine is. I don't have a quad yet but I'm thinking the same as you in that if I just want to go for a quick pleasure ride I need to get another unit for that. Thanks for sharing your review.

Coldfingers

/ Just picked up an RTV 900 #3  
When I was looking, it came down to the Kubota and the Mule. I really liked Kubota and how well built it was, but didn't care for the lack of storage or the hump in the middle of the seat so you can only sit two people. I've had six in my Mule, including me, and while it was tight, it was a lot of fun. Especially mudding and playing around.

I think your transmission is a lot nicer then the belt that I have, but don't have any complaints. What I've found that surprised me is how ofter I use it. Never having one before, it's now the first thing I jump in when I'm doing a chore or just want to have fun with a friend!!!

Congratulations.

Eddie

/ Just picked up an RTV 900 #4  
congratulations on your new rtv 900. you mentioned a lot of the reasons i went with a rtv as well. i have hauled LOTS of fire wood with mine and on some really steep hills too. i too think the transmission shifter is a little fussy at times and the lack of storage???,,, maybe, not too much an issue for me. that vht/engine brake is great isn't it!!!:thumbsup: i actually hardly ever use the brakes other then changing gears. i found with mine that the bed side boards are a little flimsy. mine spread out/apart and the tailgate doesn't shut right, or at least it use to until i welded the bed/box side boards and made it more heavy duty. maybe yours is a different style now. mine is a 2007 with over 500 hours on it. i once run mine for around 10 hours straight hauling firewood out of the woods. the maintenance issue was also on my mind at first, but once you do the fluid changes and pm a bit, it isn't that bad really. i have had no problems with mine yet. i wish you the same luck and enjoy your rtv 900!!!!:thumbsup:

/ Just picked up an RTV 900
congratulations on your new rtv 900. you mentioned a lot of the reasons i went with a rtv as well. i have hauled LOTS of fire wood with mine and on some really steep hills too. i too think the transmission shifter is a little fussy at times and the lack of storage???,,, maybe, not too much an issue for me. that vht/engine brake is great isn't it!!!:thumbsup: i actually hardly ever use the brakes other then changing gears. i found with mine that the bed side boards are a little flimsy. mine spread out/apart and the tailgate doesn't shut right, or at least it use to until i welded the bed/box side boards and made it more heavy duty. maybe yours is a different style now. mine is a 2007 with over 500 hours on it. i once run mine for around 10 hours straight hauling firewood out of the woods. the maintenance issue was also on my mind at first, but once you do the fluid changes and pm a bit, it isn't that bad really. i have had no problems with mine yet. i wish you the same luck and enjoy your rtv 900!!!!:thumbsup:

The first thing I am going to do is build a one piece removable bed rack for the front and both sides. For added strength, and capacity. I also will put some foam wrap around the front bed rack to make a tight fit between the bed, and the cab. hopefully this will keep most of the dirt off the engine. It should be very straight forward. the square holes on each corner takes standard one inch square stock.

/ Just picked up an RTV 900 #6  
The first thing I am going to do is build a one piece removable bed rack for the front and both sides. For added strength, and capacity. I also will put some foam wrap around the front bed rack to make a tight fit between the bed, and the cab. hopefully this will keep most of the dirt off the engine. It should be very straight forward. the square holes on each corner takes standard one inch square stock.

sounds like a good idea.:thumbsup: i built a quick headache rack up front to keep the pieces of wood from going over the top of the front and catching on the plastic lip just behind the seats. once before i had my rack on, a piece caught there when i was dumping the wood off and flipped up and over and fell down onto the engine. got lucky nothing damaged on engine and then i built the metal rack up front. i still like the sides low so i can load the pieces of wood on easier=not so high to lift in to the bed with the high sides. i can fit around a whole 16" face cord on at max, but usually only come out of the woods with about a half a 16" face cord on due to the very steep hills i work on. too much and i would be loosing pieces on those steep hills. your rack/foam idea will help keep the dirt/bark bits off the engine.