help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #1  

txcwgrlmom

Tractor
old massey
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I need some help with selecting a utv. I have looked at kabota, polaris, and a mule. My main problem is balance and getting in a utv safely. I flipped off a horse a couple of years ago and I now have the 2nd through 5th vertabrae fused. (No more riding for this cowgirl. Doctor's orders.) My uses are to check on the cows and duties on the ranch pretty much daily. I am leaning toward a kobata 500 rtv and mule 610. Both of these are easy to get into and four wheel drive. Conditions here are some brush, some annoying tallow trees to spray, and mud when it rains. I live near the coast so four wheel drive, roof, and a brush guard will probably be added. Pretty much open land so a tractor will have to rescue me if I am stuck. So if you have back issues etc. Please let me know your likes or dislikes with your utv. Thank you and God Bless:)

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #2  
Friend has a John Deere Gator because at 82... he couldn't get around anymore.

Every time I see him on the Gator he's like a kid again... gets out to see the neighbors and has little trouble getting around his place.

Is John Deere on your list?

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #3  
I'd go with any 6x6. Deere has on Polaris has one. May be others. Just a tad bit more traction that a 4x4. a little safer. Good enough for the Military, should be brilliant for your needs. You can never ever be too safe in your condition. You also need to think about getting a Satellite phone if you don't have cell service in the boonies.

ON-DEMAND TRUE SIX-WHEEL DRIVE (AWD)
True AWD keeps you moving, automatically engaging all six wheels when you need more forward traction and reverting back to the rear four wheels when you don’t.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en...011/Ranger/Ranger-6x6-800/Pages/Overview.aspx

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/polaris-defense/2012/ranger/ranger-6x6-800/pages/photos.aspx

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues
I did look at a john Deere but it seemed to be very noisy but like your 82 year old friend I miss being able to ride through pastures etc on horseback and I am looking forward to being out and about like a kid again.

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #5  
I would expect your back condition would beg for the smoothest ride. With that said, I would avoid the Kubota and the Mule. A UTV with full independent suspension will produce the best comfort. Smooth riders would include the Gator 825i and 855i, the Polaris Rangers, Artic Tracks, and the Honda Big Red.

I'm a Kubota RTV 900 XT owner and firmly am impressed with it, except for the smoothness of it's ride.

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #6  
Also worth a look is the Kioti Mechron. Easy in and out, bench seats (seats 3), diesel and a hydraulic dump bed for about 11 grand. Beat that!

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #7  
:welcome:
I love my Kubota 1140. I leave it configured with two bench seats all the time. Wonderful how it will take an extra 1, 2, 3, 4 extra people in an instant...or put stuff in and on second seat for easy access. It is a little lower to the ground than some competitive models...can be a good thing if you have problems stepping up into a vehicle. This makes it a little lower to the ground, but where you live typically ground clearance is not a big issue. I put hand holds in front and back...gives everybody, driver included, something extra to hang on to....not strictly necessary, but since I carry older people, kids, etc...I figured that they are a cheap extra safety margin. I notice that people use them more than half the time.

Top speed is a little over 20 mph....some people want to travel faster and this limitation bothers them...not me....I'm driving over pasture faster than a walking horse and seeing the country...good enough for me. The ride, you will have to decide for yourself if it is Ok for you. When going across pasture at slower speed, your ride is a function of holes and rocks you hit...springs are not a big factor here. Personally, when getting up to 15 mph or so across reasonable pasture, I've been impressed how the ride smooths out the bumps that I know are there.

One thing that was a big factor for me, power steering...not all vehicles have it....and this is important, easily overlooked factor...without it, steering at slow speeds, like often done with a UTV/RTV, can be a problem involving arm power and back motion....just something you will have to consider. Kubota steering is easy.

Turning radius with the 1140 is not as tight as I'd like it to be, occasionally have to do a 3 point turn. The hydrostatic transmission is wonderful. New models are improved over some several years ago...at that time people reported a decided screeching halt when you took your foot off the accelerator. Now it's very smooth slowing down and you have excellent smooth control if you realize you are going to stop and just slowly take your foot off the accelerator. This brakes the vehicle to a stop....I almost never use the actual brake pedal and then only when on a steep slope.

A roof and a windshield are mandatory.... I like the plastic roof on mine...wish I could get a glass windshield, the plastic one scratches far too easily. From Kubota, a glass windshield is available only with a metal roof.

I have tricked mine out with about 30 things that give it that extra usability/function customized for my use....and truly, these little things greatly improve the joy of using the vehicle....I've pulled a full 1000 gallon water trailer with it, flatbed trailer around the ranch, it carries all necessary fencing materials, tools, guns, etc...very flexible. And you need to carry a LOT of stuff since you never know what is going to come up on a ranch.

I understand your need to daily check cows and do ranch chores. Same here on 200+ acres. The Kubota is a work vehicle carrying almost everything I need all the time so I seldom have to make an unplanned trip back to the house for tools/supplies. Tool box in pickup bed is a must.

Am closing in on 200 hours with mine. It has been bullet proof, motor and transmission.....have had several flats, tried slime but a better answer is to get a spare tire, I have two, a right and a left.

Net, for me, I could have purchased something smaller and cheaper but know now that this would have left me struggling or coping with shortcomings with some frequency..... am very glad I did not compromise..... for a DAILY USER with a lot of different things to do, I made the right decision. A few more dollars than some other options, but then you get more, IMHO, AND IT'S WORTH IT. Am closing in on 70 and my body can't take what it once did, but the RTV helps me keep going.

I installed an inverter...so I also have 110 V ac power for electric tools, drills, saws, etc, where ever I am... a real help!

I put together a list of everything I needed and got bids from 6 or so dealers. I discovered some were stuck on sticker price while others were several thousand less.....so, figure out what you want and then get a bunch of bids....they will deal with you, or some will!

Last edited:
   / help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues
Thank you Texas John for the advice. I am interested in knowing how you made your hand holds. Was this something you purchased or made? Seems to me in trying out various models that some extras would be nice. Also the invertor what brand do you have? Thanks a bunch.

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #9  
Hand Holds can be found at the Hardware Store where they have bath and shower accessories... I have bought heavy duty stainless ones at mine for ADA requirements.

Online, you will find the enclosed trailer dealers/accessory dealers have some nice handholds too for trucks, trailers and RV's

I have a 1200 watt and and an 1800 watt inverters... had the 1200 since 1990 and can't imagine being without the convenience to run a drill in the field... prior to that, I would lug my little Honda Generator... still have it for all day jobs...

/ help with utv selection for some one with physicalissues #10  
Sorry to hear about your horse accident. I was wondering why the Polaris 400/500 utv is not a consideration? Unless it is more difficult to get in and out of for you, I know that it has a much more forgiving ride with a softer suspension. It will also give you a bit more speed if you need to get over greater distances faster. The Kubotas claim is still more of a work vehicle than recreation use. The smaller Kawasaki 610 can be a little underpowered and again a stiffer ride. We use a 6x4 Gator on our horse farm. It works well for chores but is more of a work, rougher riding, slower moving machine. People have mentioned the 825 Gator but I feel it's in a bigger size and price category than what you said you have narrowed it down to.