Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber #1  

vfr700f2

Tractor
2012 Kubota RTV900 (x4)
Hey y'all--

I'm experiencing uneven wear to the outside 1/3 of my front tires. You can see the positive camber (top of the tire is tilted out) and that's obviously the cause. I have the GP model with HDWS tires, hard top, glass windshield & wiper, soft doors, brush guard in front and hitch in rear. They run on 100% pavement. I tow with them, but the trailers are like farm wagons, with no tongue weight.

I don't know if I have optional HD struts/springs. I'll check my invoice.

Anyone have suggestions?

thanks
kevin

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber #2  
Kevin,

My owner's manual is at my farm and so I can't check, but I thought there was a section on front-wheel alignment. Am I mistaken?

Steve

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber #3  
Check your tow-in. Measure from tire to tire on the front of the tires at the center-line. Do the same at the rear of the front tire. Compare the measurements. They should be the same number, 0 toe-in OR toe-in of 1/4", the front being 1/4" narrow than the rear measurement.

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber
Sorry for the waste of BW... I checked with the dealer, who says I do have HD struts (or springs, he couldn't recall which right away), which are specified with the cab package. He still has my standard parts and will give them back to me. I'll put them on and likely solve my problem.

Steve-- Thanks for the reply. Only toe is adjustable. If changing the springs back to standard doesn't solve the problem, I may be able to modify the strut mounts for adjustable camber. We'll see...

Thanks all
kevin

TractorTech--

Thanks, but a toe problem causes a different type of tire wear, and my incorrect camber is severe enough it's plain to see by eye - no measurement needed. If I get the front height down a bit, it should be fine.

I can say the HDWS tires are obviously a lot tougher than the turf tires I was running on my previous vehicles. Who's got the best price on top-quality replacements?

thanks
kevin

Silverstone has OTR 350 HDWS for $95. That's the best I've found so far...

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber #7  
Sorry for the waste of BW... I checked with the dealer, who says I do have HD struts (or springs, he couldn't recall which right away), which are specified with the cab package. He still has my standard parts and will give them back to me. I'll put them on and likely solve my problem.

Steve-- Thanks for the reply. Only toe is adjustable. If changing the springs back to standard doesn't solve the problem, I may be able to modify the strut mounts for adjustable camber. We'll see...

Thanks all
kevin

I had the same issue when my snow plow was removed..The HD struts do throw off the camber to compensate for the weight..Wish they were adjustable...With the OEM, normal struts, you should be fine...Running on 100% pavement is going to eat some tires regardless.

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber #8  
I had the same issue when my snow plow was removed..The HD struts do throw off the camber to compensate for the weight..Wish they were adjustable...With the OEM, normal struts, you should be fine...Running on 100% pavement is going to eat some tires regardless.

I remember when we bought our RTV, the dealer said there were two options to beefing up the front end for the snow plow. Ours has been okay (500+ hours) so perhaps they went the other way (HD springs maybe? I don't remember.)

Ken

/ Kubota RTV900 tire wear & camber #9  
Who's got the best price on top-quality replacements?

thanks
kevin

Check with salesman at dealer. Tire and Rim combos through whole goods can be well priced, neighbor got bar tires for his BX cheaper than what his son could get them for working at a tire shop.

David Kb7uns

Thanks David. I'll check that out. Tires alone via Kubota parts are ~$140.

I got my original springs back, so I'l get them on and see how it goes.

Thanks all!

kevin