Serviced the RTV500 (50 hour)

/ Serviced the RTV500 (50 hour) #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
First of all, I didn't have a near oil filter wrench to fit the 3 filters. The ones I have were just a tad to big. For the oil filter I had to punch a screw driver through it in order to get it off because it was so tight. Moved onto the hydraulic filters which took everything I had to remove them by hand. Actually had to take several breaks to rest my hand they were so tight.

I debated on just doing the hydraulic filters w/ just a top off in fluid or draining it all and replacing. Decided to just do filters and afterwards thought I should of drained it all, would have been easier and not as messy. Should have known from doing the same thing on my previous B3200.

Hydraulic fluid is some slick s----. Trying to get the new filters on quickly while fluid is steady draining is a task and probably funny to someone who is watching. The new filters took so long get started from my hands being slippery from fluid being everywhere, I lost about 2 quarts of fluid. Seemed like a whole lot more as it was pouring out during the filter change! Also for anyone planning on doing this themselves.........make sure the hydraulic filters are TIGHT when you put them back on. I had to track down a filter wrench after the vertical one (orange) leaked twice after I couldn't get it any tighter by hand.

/ Serviced the RTV500 (50 hour) #2  
I never tried a "live" HST filter change on my 500...I changed everything when I did mine. It is a fairly easy machine to maintain.

I bought a Blue Point filter tool ($35) that has an almost infanite adjustment...Works great for tight quarters that the Kubotas sometimes have.

/ Serviced the RTV500 (50 hour)
Yea, I'll be better prepared next time.

/ Serviced the RTV500 (50 hour) #4  
I used large channel locks for all my filter removal needs.:laughing: I changed the fluid out in mine at the same time, I switched it all to the SUDT2 fluid and it went slick. You mentioned a leaking filter, did you put a light coating of oil on the gasket before you installed the filter? Usually as long as you do that you just need to bring the filter til the gasket is touching and then 1/8 turn...haven't had one leak yet.

/ Serviced the RTV500 (50 hour)
Yes I did coat the filter gasket. Its possible the leak was residual fluid from getting all over the filter on the install. Probably laying in the recessed area around the gasket.