Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230 & B2320

Default Re: RTV Titles?

A title is a STATE document. The manufacturer has no idea where the vehicle will be sold when it is manufactured. The document the manufacturer issues attesting to its origin and VIN is the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Using the MCO you apply for a title from your state and in the process they collect whatever tax is associated with the purchase etc. If there is a lien on the title, outstanding loan, either the loan company holds the title or the loan company and lien against the title is listed directly on the title. Registration and plates are the domain of individual states and subject to too many individual rules and regulations to even begin to contemplate.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by timster2 View Post
    A title is a STATE document. The manufacturer has no idea where the vehicle will be sold when it is manufactured. The document the manufacturer issues attesting to its origin and VIN is the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Using the MCO you apply for a title from your state and in the process they collect whatever tax is associated with the purchase etc. If there is a lien on the title, outstanding loan, either the loan company holds the title or the loan company and lien against the title is listed directly on the title. Registration and plates are the domain of individual states and subject to too many individual rules and regulations to even begin to contemplate.
    Generally there is a UCC1 filed with the state that the buyer resides in when there is a lien...This is PA procedure anyway...You are correct that that there are differences between states.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by timster2 View Post
    Generally there is a UCC1 filed with the state that the buyer resides in when there is a lien...This is PA procedure anyway...You are correct that that there are differences between states.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Checked into this when a local town banned UTV on the road and started issuing tickets. The police chief stated that you need to read your manual it states (on a Gator at least) NOT FOR HIGHWAY use. With that said check with your local police -sheriff and see if they are enforcing this law my county is not. You will only need a license if you plan on taking it on state land. As far as insurance goes they usually just need serial numbers. My local JD dealer is more than willing to provide a certificate of origin if i want it so they are availiable.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

This is a true statement. Ohio wants it's sales tax. I bought a new 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI and listed it as farm use. Ohio came back on me at said I had to pay the sales tax. I paid the sales tax. Lot of stuff can go bad with ATV's in the state of Ohio.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    new holland tn

my atv has a title in ohio no tax fram
    my rtv 500 does not have a title no tax farm
    i do drive my on road to field less 5 min away with Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem on back
    i do not have kubuta flashing light $256.00 but looking cheaper
    do live state route 2 lane road in small town in ohio

Tractor
    Ford 1320, Kubota 1140 CPX, Kubota BX2360

Just wanted to drop a note on this thread... We are getting closer to a title! kubota finance sent me the original Certificate of Origin. I took that and the bill of sale to the title office at the county courthouse. They said the dealer needs to sign and notarize my certificate, and then also said the dealer should re-imburse the sales tax paid to them, and pay the tax directly at the title office... Surprisingly, after a little friendly persuasion, the dealer has agreed to do so.

Some wonder why I am pushing this... It will make it easier to sell in the future. Also, no title means no registration. No registration means no campgrounds, marinas, or pretty much anywhere other then my yard or my friends yards. I am not a farmer with hundreds of acres. I bought this half for work on 7 acres, firewood etc, and half for fun. I know I may never get street legal, and I can live with that, but I will be able to take it many more places with a title and simple ATV license plate. I even purchased a large enough toyhauler camper to haul this in.

Tractor
    Kubota RTV 1100

Go to the dealer that you bought your kubota from (or if you bought it used from a person call them and ask them for what dealer they got it from), once you contact the dealer that it originally came from give them the serial number (found some where on the cab) and have them get the Certificate of Origin. Take the Certificate of Origin to your DMV hand it to them with what ever other paper work you need. They will take that and give you a Title for it. At least that is how they did it for me and my RTV 1100 here in Montana. Then it is basically like a car. Hope that helps.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote View Post
    Just wanted to drop a note on this thread... We are getting closer to a title! kubota finance sent me the original Certificate of Origin. I took that and the bill of sale to the title office at the county courthouse. They said the dealer needs to sign and notarize my certificate, and then also said the dealer should re-imburse the sales tax paid to them, and pay the tax directly at the title office... Surprisingly, after a little friendly persuasion, the dealer has agreed to do so.

Some wonder why I am pushing this... It will make it easier to sell in the future. Also, no title means no registration. No registration means no campgrounds, marinas, or pretty much anywhere other then my yard or my friends yards. I am not a farmer with hundreds of acres. I bought this half for work on 7 acres, firewood etc, and half for fun. I know I may never get street legal, and I can live with that, but I will be able to take it many more places with a title and simple ATV license plate. I even purchased a large enough toyhauler camper to haul this in.
    It is interesting how different states handle the tax. Here the utv dealer will collect the sales tax on all utility vehicles (primarily because not required to license but state requires them to be taxed, no ag exemption on licensable units). And once you have the coo, title re-asignment form, po (bill of sale showing pd tax), and another tax form of some kind they filled out ref retail pricing and all was golden. No question about the already pd tax on the unit at the county.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123