RTV Titles?

/ RTV Titles? #1  

dwyleecoyote

Tractor
Ford 1320, Kubota 1140 CPX, Kubota BX2360
Hello all, I hope this is the right place for this. Last November, we purchased a Kubota RTV1140CPX, new, 2011. Last week we started looking at getting a license/registration for it, as I live in a community that allows golf carts on the city streets, and also now have the capacity to take this thing camping with me, and anywhere that would allow it will require a registration and insurance.

We asked Kubota finance for a memorandum of title for registration purposes, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They emailed a scan of the certificate of origin, which the title office says gets me nowhere, that I would need the original and a bill of sale. My dealer is telling me there is no title, only the certificate of origin. The way I read Ohio Revised Code, it is defined as a motor vehicle, as it does not meet the requirements of the utility vehicle definitions, and as such the dealer should have a motor vehicle dealers license(I don't think they do), and should have applied for a title in my name within 30 days of the sale. The title then should have gone to the finance company with a lien until paid off, and I should have been issued a memorandum of title for registration.

I talked to my local police chief, and he said it won't fit in with the golf cart rules, but I may still be able to get street legal status if I can get a plate. He also mentioned he himself owns a RTV 900, and has a title!

I have been talking nicely with my dealer, but have firmly told them they need to make this happen. Anybody else run into this? Any suggestions? I already know I may never get it on the street, but I know I should have a title!

/ RTV Titles? #2  
Hello all, I hope this is the right place for this. Last November, we purchased a Kubota RTV1140CPX, new, 2011. Last week we started looking at getting a license/registration for it, as I live in a community that allows golf carts on the city streets, and also now have the capacity to take this thing camping with me, and anywhere that would allow it will require a registration and insurance.

We asked Kubota finance for a memorandum of title for registration purposes, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They emailed a scan of the certificate of origin, which the title office says gets me nowhere, that I would need the original and a bill of sale. My dealer is telling me there is no title, only the certificate of origin. The way I read Ohio Revised Code, it is defined as a motor vehicle, as it does not meet the requirements of the utility vehicle definitions, and as such the dealer should have a motor vehicle dealers license(I don't think they do), and should have applied for a title in my name within 30 days of the sale. The title then should have gone to the finance company with a lien until paid off, and I should have been issued a memorandum of title for registration.

I talked to my local police chief, and he said it won't fit in with the golf cart rules, but I may still be able to get street legal status if I can get a plate. He also mentioned he himself owns a RTV 900, and has a title!

I have been talking nicely with my dealer, but have firmly told them they need to make this happen. Anybody else run into this? Any suggestions? I already know I may never get it on the street, but I know I should have a title!

I don't believe there is a title...The bill of sale (if paid cash) or the UCC1 (if financed, covers the lien on the vehicle) should cover the plate if the sales tax was paid..Let's face it, that's really all the state is concerned about.

/ RTV Titles? #3  

I don't know about UTV's but in Ohio a registration is required for ATV's to get a sticker to ride on state land that allows riding there. I once bought a used ATV from a fellow on the condition that he furnished me a clear title for this ATV. When he tried to get the title the research showed that his ATV stolen. The police made him turn the ATV in and he lost this ATV. And the money he paid for it. He bought the ATV in Kentucky which didn't require registration at that time he bought it. I would hold out for some sort of registration or title.

/ RTV Titles? #4  
I know in Auustralia there are people licensed to issue plates, ie body builders etc. Maybe a chat to them would help if the plate can be issued in your name and affixed to the vehicle. Just an idea. We have a Kymco UTV 4x4 and there was no title issued with it, just the sales docket/invoice.

/ RTV Titles? #5  

So, go back to the police chief and ask him how he went about getting his title.

Steve

/ RTV Titles? #6  
I think you are going to have to get the original Certificate of Origin from the finance company to get license. ALL vehicles start out with that COI including cars and trucks, you just never see them because the dealer takes care of it. That is the key.

After the paperwork is done, the license bureau will send the title back to the finance co and you will get a plate and owners card. When the vehicle is paid off, the finance co will send you the title.

/ RTV Titles? #7  
I don't believe there is a title...The bill of sale (if paid cash) or the UCC1 (if financed, covers the lien on the vehicle) should cover the plate if the sales tax was paid..Let's face it, that's really all the state is concerned about.

There is definitely a title, when I bought my 500 I had to contact the dealer about the title. They gave me a copy of the title so I could register mine. It was also how I learned that my buggy was a different year than they had claimed and all the paperwork was incorrect that they had given me...initially I told them to come get it and I would buy another buggy from somewhere else....they decided to sweeten the deal alot so I ended up keeping it after all. I still don't know if it was a mistake on their part or if they were trying to pull one over on me.:confused3:

/ RTV Titles? #8  
There is definitely a title, when I bought my 500 I had to contact the dealer about the title. They gave me a copy of the title so I could register mine. It was also how I learned that my buggy was a different year than they had claimed and all the paperwork was incorrect that they had given me...initially I told them to come get it and I would buy another buggy from somewhere else....they decided to sweeten the deal alot so I ended up keeping it after all. I still don't know if it was a mistake on their part or if they were trying to pull one over on me.:confused3:

No TITLE ever comes with any NEW vehicle. The mfgr issues a CERTIFICATE of ORIGIN. It is that document that is sent to the licensing bureau. It must be the ORIGINAL, not a copy. The licensing bureau then issues a TITLE. It all starts with the certificate of origin.

/ RTV Titles?
So, go back to the police chief and ask him how he went about getting his title.

Steve

He bought his from somewhere in michigan, and it already had a Michigan title, and Ohio just issued a new one.

/ RTV Titles?
No TITLE ever comes with any NEW vehicle. The mfgr issues a CERTIFICATE of ORIGIN. It is that document that is sent to the licensing bureau. It must be the ORIGINAL, not a copy. The licensing bureau then issues a TITLE. It all starts with the certificate of origin.

This is exactly what I thought. The only other time I saw a certificate of origin was when I bought a motorcycle on a Saturday in Pennsylvania, and they sent me home with that to get a title with.