Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100

/ Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100 #1  

jpinkston70

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100
I've been having problems with the camber on my RTV 1100. I have the HD struts on the front (plan on buying the standard struts in the near future) and the factory rims and atv tires. Did some measuring and the bolt pattern is a 5 on 4 1/4" (metric is 108.49mm) with just under a 3 1/8" center (78.92mm). Will a 5 on 4.5" wheel work? I tried fitting an old 5 on 4.5" 14 inch Dodge (I think) wheel with a 205/75 tire on it but the bolt pattern was just slightly off. I'm going to try to go to the junk yard in the next day or two and look for some rims with the measurements I need. What I'm wondering is if I do find the right pattern in a 14" rim (26" rim and tire total), will the narrower tire (5 inches or so) help the camber or will I still have to buy the standard struts?

/ Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100 #3  
I looked once at different tires for my RTV 1140.... there was concern on some threads I saw about insuring that a larger tire not hit the wheel well during turns, etc...so, just want to watch that issue... ... just wondering, what camber problems are you having?? I am not aware of any such with my 1140.

/ Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100
Railroad calls at the wrong time all the time. I'll take a picture of my camber when I get home from work and post it up, but from what I've been reading the HD struts and springs cause a positive camber. Since I'm not running a snow plow and I drive on 100% pavement a good set of 8ply road tires will give (I hope) better wear, use less fuel, and give me a higher top speed.

Alright finally took a picture of the camber. It looks like it's setting pretty level right now, not sure if it is from the 100 degree heat or what but you can still see the wear on the tires. That wear is from about 2 months of driving on 100% pavement everyday. I may drive 5 miles a day back and fourth to work and around town. I might as well have racing slicks on the front, they are dang near bald. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this before I go spend $700 on new struts and springs?
IMG_20120729_120633.jpg

/ Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100 #7  
I assume you are NOT in 4wd on pavement....and that the wear is similar on rear as front tires....if so, then agreed, much less aggressive tread should give longer tread life

/ Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100 #8  
Hmmm... I've got RTV900s, and have fitted car wheels with 5x4.5 pattern on them. 5x114mm is about the same, and is probably the actual measurement, but then you have to search junkyards for oddball wheels. Maybe your 1140s have a different pattern.

Anyway, I just tested the wheel fit today. The HD springs will be replaced with standard, the tires will go on and I'll be back on the road next week. Mine tow passenger tram trailers on pavement. I've had them about 3 months and put 800+ hours on each (I have 4), and the HDWS's are bald on the outside 2/3s of the tread, while the inside 1/3 is virgin. They've been rotated front to rear, but not dismounted and flipped inside to outside.

I'm using Cragar Soft 8 wheels from Summit Racing, 15x7, 4" backspacing. They're about $55 ea. Tires will be 215/60/15. The wheel center bore is bigger than the Kubota hub, so only the wheel bolts will hold them aligned. I'd like to stay hubcentric, but that'll be a research project for another day. The wheel bolt conical seats are just barely big enough to engage the conical holes in the wheel. I'm looking for a solution for that. A crutch for now is a flat washer, which will make itself cone-shaped when the wheel bolt is tightened.

Will let you all know how the tires look in another 800 hours.

later
kevin

/ Trailer or Car wheels for Kubota RTV 1100 #9  
Now that my wheels with 4" backspace have tires and are on the RTV, I can say for a slightly wider stance, a 7" wide wheel with 3.5" backspace will probably work. My first set of wheels had 3" backspace and the tires would probably have rubbed the fenders.

I assume you are NOT in 4wd on pavement....and that the wear is similar on rear as front tires....if so, then agreed, much less aggressive tread should give longer tread life

Nope not in 4wd. My front wheels are 25" while my back wheels are is 26". Don't want to mess anything up. The rear wheels wear just fine they've been on since Christmas maybe before. My front tires last maybe 3 months to 4 months.