Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #1  

Misfire

Silver Member
Tractor
I've test driven two of them and have a few questions for those that own or operate one.

Is the loud clunk when the CVT clutch disengages normal? That's what I experienced during a test ride.

How about belt squeal? Does it go away eventually, or is it perhaps an adjustment issue? I would hope that isn't something you have to learn to live with.

Are there any access hassles due to the engine being located under the seat? I noticed that you have to remove the seat to get to the engine, not simply lift it, since it isn't hinged. It seemed fussy to get it back in place with the seat belts getting in the way.

Any short drivers in your family? My wife is quite short (5 footish). I am concerned about the non-adjustable seat and pedal reach, especially when belted in. Unfortunately, we are not in a position for her to take a test drive.

Do you have any experience with the following accessories, front hitch adapter, winch mount (sans winch), headache rack? Worth the cost? Are there any others that are a must have? I already know I want a top, no matter what brand I buy.

How is the factory service manual, if you have one?

Thanks,
Misfire

Last edited:
   / Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #2  
Hi Misfire,
We work on them with ease. No access problems. We have 4 units out on DEMO and the customers seem to love them. The belt should not squeal and while I have heard the clutch release it is not as pronounced as you seem to be experiencing. The thing I like most on the CVT is that you can coast if you need to on back roads or down hills and around corners. If you have the HST and try to coast you will stop.
There are PROS and CONS on the set-up you choose, but you will not find a unit with more working power in this HP class.
We have a customer who hooked his to a polaris Ranger (back to back) and they hit the juice and pulled the Polaris backward til it blew something the drivetrain in the polaris. He has it on his facebook page. We cannot show it because of the colorful language.
Choose carefully our utility is a cross between fun and work, and work it will...
Dave G.
KiotiDave

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions
Thanks, Dave.

Of the two I drove, the clutch release on one seemed louder than that of the other. The first one was not as loud, I also don't remember the belt squeal on that one. However, it was a very brief drive on the dealer's lot.

The second (noisy) one was an extended drive on and off road at a different dealership. That dealer did not seem to think the noise was unusual. The machine had two hours on it.

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #4  
Hi Misfire,
I have a Mechron. It replaces a Kubota B7100D w/ an HST. All-in-all I'm very satisfied with the Mechron. It is much more flexible than the tractor as I don't farm. The Mechron isn't the quietest machine around but it is quieter than the Kubota. The HST whines louder than a Kubota owner when you say anything bad about their macine and that's loud ;). Neither the Mechron or the Kubota will be as quiet as a gas powered machine but it will be much more powerful and cheaper to operate.
I don't know what the clunk is the you are hearing. I have no such issues. Having said that I can't say I am fond of the CVT. It works fine but it just seems to be something looking for an improvement. The HST is close to a good solution but it is noisy and abrupt. The HST will bang you around with the movement of the gas pedal. Step on it and you GO, take you foot off the pedal and the huge tires actually squalled. It was like smashing on the brake... every time I used it. I didn't like that.
If you want to play get a gas machine... quieter, faster, cheaper. If you want to work get the Mechron, or the Kubota, but add $4000 to the price of a Mechron for the Kubota and as far as I'm concerned that HST isn't $50 better. The rest is about the same.

Thanks Paul.

I have driven the RTV500. I don't find its hydro too abrupt. I don't know about its bigger brothers, though.

I really don't want a gasser, as I hate hauling the stuff. I have no such concerns with diesel fuel. Unfortunately, at my price point it pretty much comes down to the apparently fuel efficient RTV500 or the Mechron, which stretches my top budget by a few hundred bucks. I have ruled out the rest of the gas powered UTVs for one reason or another.

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #6  
Misfire,
If you are set on a diesel and budget minded the Mechron is a no-brained. I purchased mine with hydraulic dump bed, all the little skid plate bits, the front winch mount (very hefty) and a few other things that I don't remember as I type this for $11,000. The is nothing else even close to that.
What you get for that 11 grand is superb suspension, huge load capacity, an excellent engine and the construction of a tank. Sure there are cosmetic bits that are plastic but the important parts are very well made.
There is learning curve with the CVT and it isn't the quietest but it is less intrusive than the HST and as usuable. Kubota folks what you to believe that you can't go down hills with a load. Bull! In low range I can safely go down fairly steep grades MUCH slower than I can walk witha full laod, and I'm an old man with a (formerly) broken hip.
The unit isn't very difficult to work on. It is a real commercial machine designed to be worked on. I purchased the shop manual with the unit. It is ok but it is obviously a translation and not the best translation at that but it is understandable.
All-in-all I am very happy with the Mechron. I would recommend it without reservation.
Paul

Again, Paul, thanks. You are very helpful. I am still hoping that an owner with one or more really short family members can chime in and tell me how the Mechron works for them.

Misfire

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #8  
i just came back from a trip to the ranch where i let my good friends 14 year old daughter drive my mechron and she had no trouble reaching the controls. I have had good luck with mine, and would buy another. The belt squeal is something i have only heard while trying to climb a very steep hill without putting it in low (and i quickly shifted as i did nor want to glaze the belt).

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #9  
Hi Misfire,
We work on them with ease. No access problems. We have 4 units out on DEMO and the customers seem to love them. The belt should not squeal and while I have heard the clutch release it is not as pronounced as you seem to be experiencing. The thing I like most on the CVT is that you can coast if you need to on back roads or down hills and around corners. If you have the HST and try to coast you will stop.
There are PROS and CONS on the set-up you choose, but you will not find a unit with more working power in this HP class.
We have a customer who hooked his to a polaris Ranger (back to back) and they hit the juice and pulled the Polaris backward til it blew something the drivetrain in the polaris. He has it on his facebook page. We cannot show it because of the colorful language.
Choose carefully our utility is a cross between fun and work, and work it will...
Dave G.
KiotiDave

I'd like to see that video of the Kioti pulling the Polaris. Advertisements are staged to begin with...:rolleyes:

/ Kioti Mechron Owners, Some Questions #10  
I purchased my mechron in 2011. We drove virtually all other utvs before deciding on this one. I have not been so pleased with it. It is hard to change from drive to reverse or the other way around. I have had shoulder surgery and it really hurts my shoulder. We are now having problems with the CVT. The mechron started to continue to go when you applied the brake. This got scary as I almost hit a tree. My husband took the cvt pulley off and found several parts worn out. It only had 500 hrs on it. We have had a terrible time trying to get instructions on how to fix it. I contacted two different kioti dealers and neither even knew what I was talking about, so we have had to try to figure it out. I also contacted kioti customer service rep and she sent me instructions, but it was the same one that I had already purchased. The instructions that I have call for the cvt pulley to be greased, but doesn't say what with. I would love to talk to someone that has a clue what to do. I like the mechron but probably won't buy another as I have had this problem and no one knows how to fix it. I would have thought the dealers would be more knowledgeable.