JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #11  
My buddy sells yamaha and Polaris utvs with cvt trannies and he says the belts burn up when you drive slow with a heavy load. He sells snow blades but isn't a big fan of them. He is a honda certified motorcycle mechanic and doesn't use a snow blade on his. He says some people damage the transmissions and front ends by pushing dirt. I asked him your question a few years ago and he recommended a small tractor. I'd say hydro gator or tractor.

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #12  
There's no reason not to try out an old tractor. They are much cheaper. That's what my first step would be.

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability
What's the matter with me?! Swick's suggestion of a used tractor is a great idea!
Now to determine the best balance of price/capability/reliability in the 30-35 hp range with a nice, tight turning radius.
I should probably ask this in the JD tractor section, but do you guys have any recommendations? Are there years/models to avoid or years/models that present significant value over others?

Thanks again!

Steffan

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #14  
Can't offer any advice about tractors, but the Kubota RTV900 would probably be great for you. If you wanted something green & yellow, look at the John Deere Pro Gator. There's a very similar vehicle (maybe the same?) from Toro, the Workman HDX. They have manual transmissions with a clutch. However, they're both more expensive and less fun than an RTV.

Happy hunting!
kevin

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #15  
I am a John Deere man. I love my dads xuv gator. But it sounds like you need a toolcat.

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #16  
I love my Kubota RTV 900 with tractor type hydrostatic drive for fuel economy and pulling power. Put it in 4 WD and choose the gear (3 to choose although H doesnt pull to well just mostly for road) and hook it to whatever you want, the motor wont stall and it will spin all the tires in dry dirt. I have used my to pull saplings out by the roots using a chain on the front ball hitch. Used it to pull a drag around the pasture after it was lightly disked up with no problem. The CVT belts on most other UTV machines do tend to slip when pulling a load.
I would suggest that if you want one machine for all get either a RTV 900 or 1100 with the ATV tires for good traction.
Also you might consider getting the hydraulic dump bed. The Kubotas have a true hydraulic system that powers the bed and 1100 model also has auxilliary hydraulics for other equipment like log splitters, hydraulic dump trailers etc. I seem to recall that they are like 6 gallon per minute pumps so they work pretty well. I have heard some tales about the JD dump beds with the 12 volt pumps that didnt work very long and wouldnt pick up much weight. Maybe the newer models have an engine driven hydraulic pump.
I also like the other suggestion of getting a small used tractor. My BIL has a nice 750 JD 2WD that would be great for that job. They have the little Yanmar engine that just wont ever wear out.

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #17  
I love my Kubota RTV 900 with tractor type hydrostatic drive for fuel economy and pulling power. Put it in 4 WD and choose the gear (3 to choose although H doesnt pull to well just mostly for road) and hook it to whatever you want, the motor wont stall and it will spin all the tires in dry dirt. I have used my to pull saplings out by the roots using a chain on the front ball hitch. Used it to pull a drag around the pasture after it was lightly disked up with no problem. The CVT belts on most other UTV machines do tend to slip when pulling a load.
I would suggest that if you want one machine for all get either a RTV 900 or 1100 with the ATV tires for good traction.
Also you might consider getting the hydraulic dump bed. The Kubotas have a true hydraulic system that powers the bed and 1100 model also has auxilliary hydraulics for other equipment like log splitters, hydraulic dump trailers etc. I seem to recall that they are like 6 gallon per minute pumps so they work pretty well. I have heard some tales about the JD dump beds with the 12 volt pumps that didnt work very long and wouldnt pick up much weight. Maybe the newer models have an engine driven hydraulic pump.
I also like the other suggestion of getting a small used tractor. My BIL has a nice 750 JD 2WD that would be great for that job. They have the little Yanmar engine that just wont ever wear out.

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #18  
the above poster nailed it. If you want one machine, a Kubota RTV is basicly a UTV with a tractors rear end. With the exception of a 35k+ bobcat, its the only machine like it. Its not really any more expensive than a gator and will pull a heavy drag without complaint.. somthing a CVT should not do.

/ JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #19  
You are buying the wrong thing. You need something with a front loader to move horse poop, fill low spots ect.
You would do much much better with a Kubota BX or small JD.
After you have moved about 100 wheel barrows of stuff you wil lsee the wisdom of my comment.

I can't imagine cleaning stalls with out my BX.

Also a drag does not get into the corners of an arena. You can use the bucket to back drag corners. If you don't the corners will very quickely get much higher than the rest of the arena.
I have a BX and a Kawasaki mule if I could only have one it would for sure be the BX.

Last edited:
   / JD Gator with the best low-end pulling capability #20  
I have had both a diesel Gator and an 825i, which I have now. I push snow in winter and pull heavy trailers and loads on hilly property. I prefer the 825 as it has much more power. The downside is that it uses a lot of fuel, especially under load and it does rev fairly high to achieve its power. You could plan on using about double the fuel as you would with a diesel Gator. My neighbor has a Kubota RTV 1100 and it's a nice machine. For a pure work machine the RTV is a good choice, but no better one than the Gator and it just does not have much power, so it is slow as molasses and really struggles in off-road situations (I take my heavy tow strap any time he and I are doing any offroading). Despite all the talks about CVT/heavy work, I have never had any issue with the CVT/belt on any Gator I have owned and that has been several. For purely light hauling and pleasure of driving around I prefer the ergonomics of the Polaris Ranger, but it simply lacks the low end grunt of any of the machines mentioned. I had one, liked it a lot (the 800 EPS), but no comparison between it and the Gator for heavy work. I also pushed snow with a 72" plow and it did fine, though I was careful about only plowing in low range.

John M