JD Gator with diesel engine?

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Is the only choice for a gator with diesel engine the XUV 855D? I really want diesel, so just asking what the basic starting model is. I guess I also want power steering and a power dump box. Maybe a canopy and the nicest seats too. Camo looks cool, I like that. Any other suggestions? Experiences?
Use will be around the farm, and out on the gravel roads around us for recreation. I see the top speed is listed as 30, wish it was higher, but again if this is the only diesel JD vehicle option, so be it.

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #2  
The 855D is the only diesel JD makes. Can't get power steering but you can get a power dump box. I have an 855D, green body and yellow alloy wheels. I ordered the glass windshield with wiper and plastic top. I've really enjoyed it, rides great and gets very good fuel economy. The top speed is plenty fast for me, hardly ever go over maybe 15 mph. Can't get the speedometer with the diesel.

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #4  
I didn't realize they still made those models. I had a 2000 6x4 diesel and an '04 HPX diesel. Both good vehicles but the 855D is light years ahead of either of them now.

/ JD Gator with diesel engine?
Jesse1: In what way is the 855 light years ahead of the others mentioned? Would you say the 855 is the sportiest model available with diesel? Sportiest being best suspension, up-to-date styling, nicer seats compared to a simple bench, etc? I guess its hard to get all missions accomplished with a single vehicle, but I'd like to get a fairly sporty machine, in a diesel. I guess I need a couple test drives now.
This page: http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US...ossover_utility_vehicles/855d_ps/855d_ps.page
suggests that power steering is available.

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #6  
The independent rear suspension and higher ground clearance makes the 855D much better than the HPX or 6x4. I've never high-centered the 855D or had a wheel come off the ground in uneven terrain, happened often with the HPX. The 855D has a very smooth ride for an UTV. The 855D has a limited slip front differential and locking the rear diff gives you full four wheel drive. The HPX 4x4 does not have a locking front diff, I had to use the rear diff lock all the time where on the 855D I've never had to lock the rear diff.

The power steering is a new feature. I was talking to my dealer a few weeks ago and they had no idea when it would be offered. Really only need it when you're backing up or going slow.

My 6x4 diesel was a good machine but with no rear suspension it was a very rough ride. Also had very low ground clearance.

Thanks Jesse1
I see Polaris also offers a diesel-engined UTV. I have a feeling the JD would outlast the Polaris. I've owned both brands, many ATV's in Polaris, JD tractors of course, and it just seems like the JD would be the better long-term investment.
BTW, is there anything greaseable on the Gator Jesse? Suspension points, drive shafts, whatever? If there are grease points, it usually means the item will last longer, in my experience.

Thanks! Nice pics in that thread, made me drool a bit. How many hours on it so far? Anything break or let you down? Limitations so far? Obviously it does the work well, does it also suit you for just a recreational blast around the neighborhood? Thanks...

/ JD Gator with diesel engine? #10  
I have about 250 hours on it. No problems so far. I circle my pasture at least daily and occasionally give it full throttle. Goes plenty fast enough for me. The fact that it rides so well makes it a lot of fun for a fast ride.