Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Default Re: rtv 1100 overheating problem

Double check the upper cap just behind the cab and make sure the system is bled of air, there is a lot of hose going all the way to the front and you may of had an airlock.
    Whenever I flush mine I will run with the upper cap off until the thermostat opens to bleed the air out.

David Kb7uns
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD

Silver Member

Narrowed my problem out. It's the fan. It only quicks on after I cycle the key on and off.

So I came in from feeding and temp gauge was at 3/4, way to hot IMO. So with bed up I looked at connection, checked fuse..etc all good. So I turned it off before it got too hot then cycled the key on so I could use light and the fan kicked on so. I then started and watched gauge go from 3/4 to a quarter in about 10 seconds. I then ran it to get it hot again and no fan. Tuned it off then started it and fan came on and dropped temp. What the heck? Computer must be bad or something to have to be reset.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

You're on the trail of the problem now....with this, dealer should be able to know where the problem is. I'd be suspicious of the temperature sensor but there may be something else. Am looking forward to a post soon that lets us know what the exact problem was....will be good info for all the rest of us who might run into the same thing.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Silver Member

So my problem turns out to be the temp sensor that screws into thermostat housing. Its what tells the relay to kick fan on. my fan should kick on right at the halfway mark and if i barely tap it it the fan will kick on, as long as guage is above that. Dealer is sending me one under warranty but I'm looking for one in stock so I have it before the long holiday weekend. part number 1g910-83040. Nobody has this item in stock.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by Hersheyfarm View Post
    So my problem turns out to be the temp sensor that screws into thermostat housing. Its what tells the relay to kick fan on. my fan should kick on right at the halfway mark and if i barely tap it it the fan will kick on, as long as guage is above that. Dealer is sending me one under warranty but I'm looking for one in stock so I have it before the long holiday weekend. part number 1g910-83040. Nobody has this item in stock.
    Could you just temporarily hot wire using a switch for the weekend until the part comes in?
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Bronze Member

1.) For a temporary fix you could run a ground wire to one side of a switch and the temp sender wire to the other side. Flip the switch to run the fan.

2.) Make sure the sender is good and warm before you try to remove it. Being so new it shouldn't be a problem but I've had one crack the housing when I tried to remove it cold. That was on an RTV with a couple thousand hours on it though.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Great that you found it...and thanks for letting us know the solution...

why, oh why, can't a simple sensor like this be a very common part with all other kinds of kubota's...including tractors, etc...it would seem to me that the temp needed to start a fan would be the same for many units, why would it be unique, or generally available from auto parts houses

Quote Originally Posted by Hersheyfarm View Post
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Silver Member

thanks guys, the wire would for sure work in a pinch. But my dealer had me one in less than 24 hours. so I went and picked it up yesterday and put it in. took maybe 5 minutes.

so my fan kicks on at 1/3 of the temperature mark and off at a quarter, that means my engine has been running pretty hot. These little sensors are absolutely responsible for what temp your machine runs. I'll be keeping an eye on the temp guage from now on. There really should be a warning light when it gets hot.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDM84 View Post
    1.) For a temporary fix you could run a ground wire to one side of a switch and the temp sender wire to the other side. Flip the switch to run the fan.

2.) Make sure the sender is good and warm before you try to remove it. Being so new it shouldn't be a problem but I've had one crack the housing when I tried to remove it cold. That was on an RTV with a couple thousand hours on it though.
    do you work on alot of rtv's? Have you seen many of these sensors fail? In a perfect world there would be an emergency circuit wired in so when the guage hits the red it kicks fan relay on, that and a warning light.

Silver Member

so I am watching my coolant level, seems it may be dropping dropping. My temp guage doesnt leave 1/4" but my fan does kicks on and off alot. I read posts here and people claim theyre fans rarely kick on. Thats not in my case. No leaks visible anywhere but if it keeps dropping its going to dealer. It dropped a 3/4 inch in 4 hours, but it could have been still not burped from the overheat. so I'll watch it over the weekend. Ive already put 50hr on it in the 2 weeks Ive had it. Changed oil after the overheat, so just got ALL the other filters and fluids to change. Also took off spark arrestor screen, it was half clogged.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast