UTV speed

/ UTV speed #1  

ibaj

Tractor
Ford 2N
In a couple of months I plan on getting me a new UTV so I've been reading up on this forum for some time. I think I will use it for about 90% work on my "homestead" which makes the 20-30 MPH range fine. However I may sometimes need to go to my neighbors or somewhere that I would like to go at max speed. My question is: Do the work UTVs have a "governor" type apparatus on them like a tractor or lawn mower ? or would the max speed (20-30)just be flat out "red line" which couldn't be very good on the engine? Thanx for you input....aj

/ UTV speed #2  
painfully slow on the road. 23mph is about it. But incredibly powerfull and and strong built for farm use. awesome cab. I've read about putting turbos on them but the most gain you'll see is 30mph I guess and that doesnt seem worth it to me.

/ UTV speed #3  
Most UTV's are geared for power not speed.My 450 Rhino tops out at 32mph,our 750 Teryx at 50 mph.Plenty fast on atv tires on the road.

/ UTV speed #4  
My Gator 825i does mid 40's and in the first 8 hrs of use I had under 20 miles on it....needless to day the reasoning of getting the 825i Gator because it was the faster more powerful Gator was a bit flawed.:laughing: It's nice when you go on the street to fly right along but in the trails I'm usually going pretty slow to avoid the big rocks.

/ UTV speed #5  
The 900 ranger will run in the mid 60's

/ UTV speed #6  
I wouldn't mind my RTV having a faster speed but I've had it going 40MPH down hill and it doesn't feel good.

/ UTV speed #7  
My 855D Gator says it will do 32MPH, but my wife has been following behind me in my 09 F250 and she says I was doing 36 MPH top speed. Either way, that is plenty fast enough for me on a road and a little too fast off road. I would leave it stock speed.

/ UTV speed #8  
Do the work UTVs have a "governor" type apparatus on them like a tractor or lawn mower ? or would the max speed (20-30)just be flat out "red line" which couldn't be very good on the engine?

I have one of the slow ones, a 2004 Ranger TM. Its 650 cc Robin engine is regulated to 24 mph, apparently to qualify for some U.S. slow vehicle regulation. There is no problem running it flat out. When driving down country lanes I can just think: "This is twice as fast as a golf cart, and faster than any of my tractors. Relax and enjoy the ride."

/ UTV speed #9  
24 is the official top speed on RTV900s. There's a bolt under the gas pedal that adjusts the top speed. I have mine set for ~12mph for normal use (safe and plenty fast for my situation), but I have opened one up to do 30 and could have turned the bolt in farther. No idea what RPM it turns because there's no tach. I assume they might have a governor in the injection pump to regulate maximum RPM.

/ UTV speed #10  
As said before, 30 seems fast on the gravel road in an open cabin vehicle. My JD 825 will apparently go 45 or so, but it seems really fast at 30. I have hit 40 once. BTW, I have been riding off-road for 42 years, and my other ATV has a top speed of about 75 mph. On that Polaris Outlaw (KTM engine), I routinely ride IN THE WOODS at 30 mph. But it is small and agile compared to the JD Gator. I believe it is unlikely you will ever need to exceed 40 on the road, and typically 10 off-road. Most of the available UTVs will go at least 35 mph, so don't let this spec decide for you.