Heat for UTV's with cabs

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs
HELLO;

Yankeerider, thanks for directing me to that site. They have a nice looking electric UTV heater for $82 and free shipping. Looks like we will be doing business. I need to find out if my battery and alternator will handle it.

thsnks to all, nicholas

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs #22  
The real heaters will plumb into the cooling system and use "waste" heat from the engine. If you can't afford that, or don't want to spend that kind of money, perhaps you might want to look at some of the heated clothing like that used in motorcycling. There are many different options available and if they can keep a motorcyclist warm while riding in freezing temperatures at a high speed, they should work great for someone sheltered inside a cab. They plug into a cigarette lighter socket and they can't use too many amps if a motorcycle charging system can keep up with them.
Rather than heat the cab, maybe you just want to heat yourself!
Thinking outside the box (actually, inside the cab...)

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs
Hello;

Yankeeridser directed me to a curtis site where I found an all electric heater for $82. Looks o.k. to me. Stats say 25 amp rating 300 watts. My system has a 340 CCA battery and alternator ouput of 75 amps at 6000rpm.
Can any of you tell me if my system is up to the task?

thanks, nicholas

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs #24  
Sure it will run it. Your 825 has two circuits for accesories, one in back right side of engine, one in front ahead of operator, each with a double female 1/4" spade electrical connector, with black and red wires. These circuits are fused at 40 amps each, in the small fuse panel ahead of your knees. Unless you have added a winch, which has used the front one already. If you have added signal lights, the accesory connector can have a "Y" added to make connection simple. The dealer has this "Y" part.
Seems like a waste though, since you already have so much heat available in the radiator.
I will take a look at my 825 and see what it will take. I was about to make doors for it anyway, so my next step would be a small heater I suppose. I once made a sweet little heater for an ultralight plane that used engine coolant to produce heat in the cabin. The space was really small, and the weight had to be very light, and the budget was small, so all used parts. The gator is kinda the opposite (has space, can tolerate more weight, and I am not as broke these days). If I get something going I will start a new thread with at least sources and pics, maybe offer simple plans or parts, who knows. Hang in there, dress warm.

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs #25  
Be advised that 25a/300 watts is going to amount to little more than a handwarmer in a UTV sized cab, you should really consider one of the heater core/fan types of heater that taps into the JD cooling system , curtis looks to have some nice units in the 20,000 btu range which is where you need to be to stay warm and defrosted. For comparison that 300w heater will give about 1000 btu.

Ray

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs #26  
Wow, when you put in BTU perspective (1000), the electrical approach is way too small to make any temperature rise in the cabin. I agree, the only real way to heat the cabin is to use coolant. But, one other thing comes to mind. In the last few days, on some website somewhere, I saw mention of some reasonably priced electrically heated seatcovers. That way, the cabin would stay cold but the occupants would benefit. Just another option, probably cheaper, certainly easier, probably less effective but maybe just enough.

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs #28  
i've got a tuckaway heater in my rtv 500 its plumbs into the water cooled systems, its very small and was not too high either, looks a little smaller than the one listed above and its also has the window defrost.

/ Heat for UTV's with cabs #30  
I so far have been able to build one for less than 100.00 bucks, for my RTV 900.

Attachments

• image-1241989224.jpg
    image-1241989224.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3521334744.jpg
    image-3521334744.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3900547442.jpg
    image-3900547442.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2943901933.jpg
    image-2943901933.jpg