What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #181  
I recently landed my 2nd Kawasaki ATV project, an 87 Bayou 300 4x2. This quad, made from 86-04, seems
to be the only ATV made with a rear differential. A lockable one, so it can ride off-road, and yet be competent
on pavement. Sadly, Kawasaki discontinued this machine in 05, and I can find no others with a rear diff. Of
any brand. I asked the manufacturer's reps at a trade show, and they were not aware of any with a diff. The
4x4 version of the Bayou 300 utilizes the usual locked final drive.

You can see the diff and diff-locker in this photo, as well as the telltale dual rear brakes. I look forward to
getting this machine running.

Kawasaki made a 3 wheeler that had a similar system. But you needed to remove a cover in the rear diff and install/ remove two bolts to lock unlock it. I never owned one but a neighbor did so I'm going off of what he told me. At the time it was very unusual seeing him spin one tire while on the trails.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #182  
My stable of UTVs:

RangerParkingOnly.jpg

From left, 2006 Ranger 500EFI, 1999 Ranger 500 6x6, 2012 Ranager 800LE Crew.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #185  
YOU have to many toys....and an awfully clean shed.
I think I could fit one more in there. :laughing:

It's clean because we pulled everything out to paint the floor with an epoxy sealant. Put the Rangers back in after a week of curing time. Now we have to put the insulation up on the walls and fasten all those panels in place. Then all the clutter can go back in.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #186  
My wife and I have matching 2013 Honda Rancher 420ES 4x2 ATV's. Taking them in for their first oil change this week!

WP_000338.jpg

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #187  
With your hint, I found the model you saw, the 84-85 Kawasaki KLT250 Prairie or Police Special. Trikes,
not quads.

These units had a rear diff, but CHAIN drive, and a drum brake on only the left rear axle. Interesting.

I am sure they could handle pavement much better than my old 3-wheelers.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #188  
CRAZYAL:

With your hint, I found the model you saw, the 84-85 Kawasaki KLT250 Prairie or Police Special. Trikes, not quads.

These units had a rear diff, but CHAIN drive, and a drum brake on only the left rear
axle. Interesting.

I am sure they could handle pavement much better than my old 3-wheelers.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #190  
4X2 ??? I don't get it. You mean its a two wheel drive atv? But its NOT a sport quad?

Ummm, yep. 2 wheel drive utility quad...didn't know that was an abnormality.