What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #191  
I've never seen one. I have ridden ATV since 1983, owned about 15 different machines, some sport quads (all were 2 wheel drive) and some utility machines (all were four wheel drive). For me, the definition of sport or utility has been the 2 wd or the 4 wd. I guess I learned something new today.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #192  
I've never seen one. I have ridden ATV since 1983, owned about 15 different machines, some sport quads (all were 2 wheel drive) and some utility machines (all were four wheel drive). For me, the definition of sport or utility has been the 2 wd or the 4 wd. I guess I learned something new today.
A friend had a 250cc Honda 2wd utility ATV that I rode when I was over at their place in the early 2000s. It worked well, but I preferred their 4wd 350cc utility ATV in sand and loose gravel...
For me, the definition of sport or utility is how heavily its built and if it has decent racks on it. A sport ATV (IMO) is intended for jumping and playing around and doesn't have racks (something like the Yamaha Raptor: 2013 Yamaha Raptor 700R Home, information ) while a utility ATV is heaver and has racks on it (more like the Grizzly: 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI Auto. 4x4 EPS Special Edition Home, information )

Aaron Z

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #193  
For what we use it for, we just didn't have a need for 4wd, so I skipped the added $1600+ cost of 4wd. There are times I would like to have it, but short of playing in the snow, I've never really needed it. Plus, I've got my 4wd tractor for the heavy work! :)

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #194  
4X2 ??? I don't get it. You mean its a two wheel drive atv? But its NOT a
sport quad?

Most utility quads only have 2WD. 4x4 is getting more popular, but it adds a lot to the cost, and
is not often needed. Although Suzuki came out with the first quads in about 1982 (2WD utility),
Honda was the first to deliver the first 4x4 utility quad, in 1986. And it was CRUDE, with a
solid front axle and full-time 4x4. I had one, and the ride made my later 4x4s seem almost like sport
quads. I think Honda is the first with switchable 4x4 (2002 Foreman), but I could be wrong. Quads
were full-time 4x4 until then.

Now, believe-it-or-not, there are 4x4 SPORT quads, such as the 4x4 Polaris 500 Scrambler. What
characterizes sport quads is big suspensions, no grannie gear, manual tranny, and no racks. Sometimes
sporty quads have no reverse gear and no parking brake, either. Utility quads have ultra-low
first gear (usually), a trailer hitch, and racks. To further muddy the distinction, there are now
sporty quads with CVT auto trannies, as well as the semi-autos (Honda TRX250EX) that are still the
most common tranny for utility ATVs.

I have also converted sporty quads for utility use: first, I make some racks. Then I change the
final drive ratio, if the ATV has chain drive. Usually a one-tooth-smaller drive sprocket is enough.
Then, I make a trailer hitch. Photo is of a cherry 89 Yamaha Warrior 350.

If you have used utility quads, and never driven a sporty quad, you should try it: the big suspensions
make the ride much nicer. Kinda like going from a Jeep to an Impala.

Attachments

• Warrior_1.jpg
    Warrior_1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 393
   / What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #195  
Boy things sure have come a long long way since then! My 2007 Can-am Outlander 800 is supposed to be a utility bike but shares a LOT of similarities with it's sport side part the Renegade.
4E64E91B-24E9-48D0-9A3E-564797B449CC-1125-000000908D1B9E09.jpg

Renegade.jpg

Then to further muddy the waters and get the absolute best of both worlds, Can-am made an Outlander with Renegade suspension and clutching, it was the XXC version.
brp_can-am_outlander_800_xxc.jpg

Now I think the XTP version is the replacement for the XXC. Now the suspensions between the Outlander and Renegade are even more similiar to there isn't that much difference anyway except for the beadlocks and sporty shocks.
outlander_1000_xtp_3-4_blkylw_13.jpg

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #196  
Lifted Club Car 48V with folding rear seat to cargo bed. It will not go mud bogging or anything, but I can take it to most camp grounds and race tracks.

gcart.jpg

I like that!!!

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #197  
We have a 2000 Polaris Magnum 325 2x4 and a 2005 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 (plus an old 1991 Jeep) that we use out on the ranch. Got the the two ATV's over the last couple of years off of Craigslist so I don't know their pedigree's but generally they have been problem free and they do what they are supposed to do; get us around the ranch and haul a few items.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #198  
RTV 1100 & a 95 Wrangler. Bought the RTV for the wife. She rarely uses it. Too big, tippy, and slow I am told. She doesn't like the hydrostatic as it slows up instantly when you let off the accelerator. I like the jeep better because it has a suspension, is fast, and just better suited for my tasks.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #199  
I have an old '08 Yamaha Rhino 700 that I use for hauling stuff around the place here and take it out
in the mud once in awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_0292 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0292 (Small).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 537
   / What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #200  
I also went with a golf cart.these are before and after pics.I have roughly $3,100.000 tied up in it.

Attachments

• me and missy.jpg
    me and missy.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 176
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 230