What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have.
Go to " utility off road.com " and meet some owners with wet slipping belts. One is even filing a law suit to get his fixed properly. A relative has one on the farm and when the snow gets to the belt it does not work well. They will work great in Kentucky, no snow and don't cross streams.
I went to the site and did a search.
I found a couple models having problems with snow/water due to lack of clutch covers.
Most atv's with CVT have clutch covers/housings with air intake ducts high up in the frame/bodywork to keep out snow/water its a non issue.

Last edited:
   / What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #72  
I own an RTV 1100. A very nice machine. Love the A/C and no bugs down here in Texas.

HS

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #73  
I don't see the comparison between a Gator and a RTV. Certainly they are not in the same class. Owning a 1100 with heat and air I never even considered a Gator. The ride is fine and I use it 100% off road. The snowmobile belt driven models in snow country have limited capabilities.
I have a John Deere tractor and equipment. A Gator, not so much.

Are you kidding me? The belt drive machines work excellent in the snow. You need to know how to drive them, when to use low, and when to use hi.

Only the honda crowd make claims like this!!

Have you ever drove a sled??

Last edited:
   / What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #74  
Quotes...."CVT no good in snow country", "belts slip", "Polaris gave belts a bad name."
What do you people do to your atv's? I owned nothing but Polaris and have yet to change a belt. Or slip or smoke one. My 2004 Sportsman 500 H.O. trailrides hauls my trailers of firewood out of the bush and plows my 300 foot driveway and the turn-around I turn and park my transports in. Repairs since new? Oil changes and clean the clutch surfaces every two years. Still on original belt.

maybe some people need to look up the word MAINTENANCE, LOL.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #75  
Quotes...."CVT no good in snow country", "belts slip", "Polaris gave belts a bad name."
What do you people do to your atv's? I owned nothing but Polaris and have yet to change a belt. Or slip or smoke one. My 2004 Sportsman 500 H.O. trailrides hauls my trailers of firewood out of the bush and plows my 300 foot driveway and the turn-around I turn and park my transports in. Repairs since new? Oil changes and clean the clutch surfaces every two years. Still on original belt.

maybe some people need to look up the word MAINTENANCE, LOL.

and compare it to the meaning of MAINTENANCE IMPAIRED...LOL (think they may have the two confused!!)

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #76  
I know some are going to bash me about my Polaris, don't worry, I do my part to keep American's employed. Because I will ONLY buy Polaris atv's and snowmobiles.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #77  
I know some are going to bash me about my Polaris, don't worry, I do my part to keep American's employed. Because I will ONLY buy Polaris atv's and snowmobiles.

And ALL the Polaris ATV's are still built on USA soil. My only reason for not buying an Outlander is because they are expensive ($2,500 more for a base 500.) and not built in USA!! I figure they need all the help they can get.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have.
Are you kidding me? The belt drive machines work excellent in the snow.
Have you ever drove a sled??
I agree.
There is a reason nearly all snowmobiles have been using the CVT belt drive system for decades.
Its works great in snow.

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #79  
I owned many Honda atv's over the years and they were basically bulletproof. I finally purchased a Polaris 500 Ranger SXS and it has been great also. I have almost 800 miles on it in six months and it is more pleasure than what I expected. Power is Great, Ride is super smooth and the electronic EFI takes the cake. It is my first belt driven machine and the thing pulls like a bear and goes thru the mud and water as good as my Hondas. The only drawback on my Polaris is the lack of Real Engine braking going down a steep hill. The 4 disc brakes make up for it but I still miss the engine braking like I had in my Hondas. Other than that a Belt drive is quite bullet proof olso. JMOP.....

/ What ATV, side by side or UTV do you have. #80  
Most atv's with CVT have clutch covers/housings with air intake ducts
high up in the frame/bodywork to keep out snow/water its a non issue.

Recently bought my 2nd CVT quad, a 2005 Polaris. This one needs a bit
of refurbishment, as all my ATVs (currently 7) do.

The CVT sheaves blow air thru the housing to cool. This requires an air intake
and exhaust, which use snorkle tubes to raise their inlet/outlet as high as the
seat. The snorkles are connected to the housing with rubber boots. My boots
had already failed from cracking on a 2005.

You will only have a problem if you get some water in there, which is very
easy if the boots are cracked. Then the CVT will slip and you will go nowhere.

The parts cost me $15, and it is an easy maintenance item.

There is a drain plug on the CVT housing to drain water out. When it dries
in there, the CVT will work fine.